BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:23 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question I was planning on relocating my Coolant overflow tank which would mean making a custom tank, does anyone know the volume that it needs to hold? I've only found one site that says its 0.4L, but does anyone know if thats correct?

Thanks
DBRMN

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

2Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
I am using a baby bottle with a nib taken out of the rubber tip, cable tied to a right hand frame rail. It holds maybe .4L and does the job as intended. There's only an inlet and the coolant volume never changes. Check these out:

eBay coolant bottle


Equalising Tank Volume? 20180410
I've since moved it back just inside of the frame rail where it's more secure.


__________________________________________________

1987 K100RS, '89 K100 w/K1100RS engine, '93 Framed K11/K12 engine 'Big Block', '96 K1100RS, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '95 R100 Mystic & '77 R75/7.

    

3Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@Two Wheels Better wrote:I am using a baby bottle with a nib taken out of the rubber tip, cable tied to a right hand frame rail. It holds maybe .4L and does the job as intended. There's only an inlet and the coolant volume never changes. Check these out:

eBay coolant bottle


Equalising Tank Volume? 20180410
I've since moved it back just inside of the frame rail where it's more secure.
Ah thats interesting it looks surprisingly good, how come you don't need an outlet?

I was thinking of using those mounting points where the old air intake pipe went on the radiator?

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

4Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:33 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
As I said, the coolant water volume never changes, which means as things work as intended you only need to secure the potential few drops that may arrive in the bottle at times. I've travelled possibly a thousand miles with this set up with no issue. Your original tank does not contain a feed and return.

ETK coolant system link


__________________________________________________

1987 K100RS, '89 K100 w/K1100RS engine, '93 Framed K11/K12 engine 'Big Block', '96 K1100RS, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '95 R100 Mystic & '77 R75/7.

    

5Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:41 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@Two Wheels Better wrote:As I said, the coolant water volume never changes, which means as things work as intended you only need to secure the potential few drops that may arrive in the bottle at times. I've travelled possibly a thousand miles with this set up with no issue. Your original tank does not contain a feed and return.

ETK coolant system link
Oh ye I was just having a look at the pictures, so why is it located at the bottom? does it use that to vacuum more coolant back to the radiator if it needs it? Cause that makes fabricating a new one a lot easier. What do you do it terms of it pressure is built up, do you need a hole for it to breath?

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

6Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:46 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
So you see the design is a simple overflow and reversing pressure is never a part of how it works. The pressure is all on the inside of the radiator under that mighty mighty cap. If it ever feels the need to burp its guts, as little scrubbers often do, it does so into the chamber, the little catch all. I reckon a baby bottle is apt.


__________________________________________________

1987 K100RS, '89 K100 w/K1100RS engine, '93 Framed K11/K12 engine 'Big Block', '96 K1100RS, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '95 R100 Mystic & '77 R75/7.

    

7Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

does it use that to vacuum more coolant back to the radiator if it needs it?

Yes, the radiator cap works two ways.  If there's too much pressure in the cooling system it will "blow" at 1.0 bar.  When the system is cooling down it sucks in new coolant as needed at -0.1 bar.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

8Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:52 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
Good to know those specific details, Duck. By my error and dumb luck when I fabbed it up I made the hose long enough going into the baby bottle to rest at the very bottom so it continues to do what it needs to do.

As another example of how these things work, the Audi I drive has a pressurised external tank with cap and it ebbs and flows as required into the main radiator which does not have a cap for filling.



Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total


__________________________________________________

1987 K100RS, '89 K100 w/K1100RS engine, '93 Framed K11/K12 engine 'Big Block', '96 K1100RS, '09 K1300GT, '07 K1200R, '95 R100 Mystic & '77 R75/7.

    

9Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:54 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Ye I've heard about the fancy nature of the Radiator Cap. Ok that sounds sensible enough, so I need a 400-500ml capacitance to be on the safe side, and a single inlet/outlet hose preferably at the bottom or reaching the bottom of the tank. Easy, hopefully. Going to see if I can get it fabricated out of ali.

Much like this but the other side (little grey box),
Equalising Tank Volume? Maxresdefault

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

10Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Just in case anyone was curious this is what i've ended up going with, it has a capacitance of 408ml which i think should be enough. Here is a mock up I made and my drawings,

Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2218
Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2220
Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2219
Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2221
Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2222

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

11Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
You've got to love cardboard and tape design. Over the years I've made a cardboard and balsa scale bike lift, a full size cardboard petrol tank and a full size cardboard engine. It's a lot easier to position a cardboard engine than a metal one. Equalising Tank Volume? 112350
Regards Martin.


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

12Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:49 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@MartinW wrote:You've got to love cardboard and tape design. Over the years I've made a cardboard and balsa scale bike lift, a full size cardboard petrol tank and a full size cardboard engine. It's a lot easier to position a cardboard engine than a metal one. Equalising Tank Volume? 112350
Regards Martin.
Oh my god I don't even want to think how long that took you, that box right there took me an hour  Mad . You can't go wrong with a cardboard technical drawing, though mines the furthest thing from technical lol.

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

13Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I'm sort of sorry I didn't keep them or at least take pictures. However I still own the end result. I made the prototype tank out of carboard so I could get the tank right which ended up requiring two pieces to be folded. The cardboard engine (Villiers 150cc) allowed me to play with mounting angle and positions. The cardboard parts allowed a lot shorter and easier build time.
Equalising Tank Volume? Le_fau13
Equalising Tank Volume? Le_fau12
Regards Martin.


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

14Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@MartinW wrote:I'm sort of sorry I didn't keep them or at least take pictures. However I still own the end result. I made the prototype tank out of carboard so I could get the tank right which ended up requiring two pieces to be folded. The cardboard engine (Villiers 150cc) allowed me to play with mounting angle and positions. The cardboard parts allowed a lot shorter and easier build time.
Equalising Tank Volume? Le_fau13
Equalising Tank Volume? Le_fau12
Regards Martin.
oh wow that looks like a really fun project, it looks so good, how long did it take u?

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

15Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:59 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
It took me about 12 months, the hardest part was getting the pulley system to line up. It ended up being .005" out of alignment. The idler pulley had to be custom made as did the rear pulley and spoke clips. All sorts of weird and wonderful parts went into it. The engine was originally full of mud wasps. The cutdown quadrant for the drive was out of a washing machine, an air rifle spring, a brass fuel cap of a rusted out mower tank and a genuine Lucas Road king headlamp $10.00 of Ebay. Top speed is 40KPH on the flat. It used to be legal to ride on the road, but the QLD government eventually banned petrol driven bicycles due to idiots fitting larger HP engines than allowed. Equalising Tank Volume? 177381
Regards Martin.


__________________________________________________
K75s Hybrid
    

16Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:12 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@MartinW wrote:It took me about 12 months, the hardest part was getting the pulley system to line up. It ended up being .005" out of alignment. The idler pulley had to be custom made as did the rear pulley and spoke clips. All sorts of weird and wonderful parts went into it.  The engine was originally full of mud wasps. The cutdown quadrant for the drive was out of a washing machine, an air rifle spring, a brass fuel cap of a rusted out mower tank and a genuine Lucas Road king headlamp $10.00 of Ebay. Top speed is 40KPH on the flat. It used to be legal to ride on the road, but the QLD government eventually banned petrol driven bicycles due to idiots fitting larger HP engines than allowed. Equalising Tank Volume? 177381
Regards Martin.
Oh wow that sounds like an amazing project, I always find it fascinating when people reuse parts to fulfil completely different tasks. Very well done its such a shame you can't ride it on the roads, but I'm currently suffering something similar being 18 i won't be able to ride my k100 for another 3 years Sad

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

17Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:47 pm

Vitamin K

Vitamin K
Silver member
Silver member
@DBRMN wrote:Just in case anyone was curious this is what i've ended up going with, it has a capacitance of 408ml which i think should be enough. Here is a mock up I made and my drawings,

Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2219


That is brilliant. I was trying to figure out where to relocate mine. I hope you consider it sincere flattery if I do something similar to what you've done.


__________________________________________________
Father, 3ds Max Specialist, Modeler, Animator, Graphics Technical Specialist, U.S. Navy Veteran, Rider of the K.

Current Ride: The Vitamin K Project, (code name: K1000SR)
VIN: WB1051401F0051627
ENG:FBM098745K342840575
_______________________________
Past Rides: 1970 R50/5, 1975 R90S, 1982 R65LS, 1978 KZ1000, 1986 SRX600
    

18Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:15 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
@Vitamin K wrote:
@DBRMN wrote:Just in case anyone was curious this is what i've ended up going with, it has a capacitance of 408ml which i think should be enough. Here is a mock up I made and my drawings,

Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2219


That is brilliant. I was trying to figure out where to relocate mine. I hope you consider it sincere flattery if I do something similar to what you've done.
Absolutely feel free I'll keep this thread updated, I've turned on the lathe a cap and have ordered a barb for the inlet/outlet:
Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2223

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

19Back to top Go down   Equalising Tank Volume? Empty Re: Equalising Tank Volume? on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
So brief change of plan, it turns out the method I used to construct the box is way to complicated to weld. So instead I made the outside edge all one piece and then just attach a front and back plate.

Here are some pictures of it all welded up:
Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2311
Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2310
It still need's tidying up, but the top cap still needs to be tapped, the inlet/outlet needs to be tapped, and finally the last edge needs to be sealed. But otherwise its close, one done I'll be going over the welds with filler to make them flat and smooth then giving it a coat of black paint. Here's it next to the bike:

Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2312

And a picture of the inlet/outlet location:
Equalising Tank Volume? Img_2314

https://www.gofundme.com/manage/helping-fund-my-motorbike-projec
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum