BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Centre stand repair. Empty Centre stand repair. Wed May 29, 2019 4:55 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
My K75s centre stand needed a bit of refurbishment. The feet where they contact the ground had gotten pretty thin especially on the leading edge. Matt kindly lent me a spare stand that he had making the job a lot easier. I ended up welding a strip of 5x20x60 flat bar onto the feet. I built up the sides and trailing edge with more weld and then blended it in using a 100mm angle grinder with a grinding wheel. I finished off the blending with a 100mm flap disc followed by a pneumatic burr grinder fitted with a flap wheel. I sprayed on some spray filler and a light sand then followed up with a couple of coats of satin black. Once dry I filled it with some LPS3 and sloshed it around  then fitted some new rubber end plugs. These required a bit of grinding down in order to get them to fit and even with the grinding down they had to be pounded in with a nylon hammer. The end result looks good and has the added benefit that the end plugs don't contact the ground on deployment. The slight increase in height hasn't made any noticeable differences to deployment. 
Regards Martin.

2Back to top Go down   Centre stand repair. Empty Re: Centre stand repair. Wed May 29, 2019 7:18 pm

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
I did essentially the same repair as well Martin.  I used a chunk of pipe that had the same internal diameter as the external diameter of the tubing that BMW used to make stand, split it in half, and then welded it on.  The bottom of my stand had worn through on both sides and so I had to build some of the existing walls up a little as well.  I'm quite thankful that I never went out to parking lot to my the bike in a final but undesirable state of rest.

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

3Back to top Go down   Centre stand repair. Empty Re: Centre stand repair. Wed May 29, 2019 11:36 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
A couple of shots of the finished product. It's now too good to scratch up Isuppose that I could carry a piece of carpet to deploy it on. Centre stand repair. 44271
Regards Martin.
Centre stand repair. Centre10
Centre stand repair. Centre11

4Back to top Go down   Centre stand repair. Empty Re: Centre stand repair. Thu May 30, 2019 1:09 am

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
I have never checked mine   

Maybe i should before I find it  lying down for a sleep

5Back to top Go down   Centre stand repair. Empty Re: Centre stand repair. Thu May 30, 2019 1:54 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
What happens if the rubber plugs leak or are missing is that water enters the stand and it rusts. It would be heaps worse in countries that salt their roads. I used to regularly every I-2 years fill my stand with LPS 3 which is a rustproof coating. Rust wasn't a problem with mine it was just worn away from 26 years of use. 
Regards Martin.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum