BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gearbox front sealing plug Empty Gearbox front sealing plug Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Scouser

Scouser
Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn't find the answer.

K100 gearbox front cover: I'm going to heat the cover to 100 degrees to drop out the input shaft tapered bearing race. The front sealing plug hasn't been leaking and doesn't carry a shaft so I thought I could leave it alone.
Should I replace it because I'm going to heat the case? If so, how do I remove the disc with the spigot that feeds oil to the centre of the gearbox output shaft? It's tight and I can't see how it's held in.
While we're at it, should the seal for the gear position sensor at the back of the box be replaced, again given that the box will be heated, or would gasket goo against the switch do the job?

Help will be much appreciated. Many thanks!!

2Back to top Go down   Gearbox front sealing plug Empty Re: Gearbox front sealing plug Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Arlina

Arlina
While you're there, replace the seals.
Little job, much fun afterwards.

3Back to top Go down   Gearbox front sealing plug Empty Re: Gearbox front sealing plug Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Scouser

Scouser
Arlina wrote:While you're there, replace the seals.
Little job, much fun afterwards.
I'll certainly do that Arlina, thanks, and all the bearings. I'm fitting the contents of one case into another case, so I'll replace all bearings and seals. I was unsure about the front plug though.
Do you think the front plug will need replacing after heating?

4Back to top Go down   Gearbox front sealing plug Empty Re: Gearbox front sealing plug Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Need to replace for sure.

5Back to top Go down   Gearbox front sealing plug Empty Re: Gearbox front sealing plug Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Scouser

Scouser
Ah OK thanks. It looks like I have to take the output shaft oil feed out first. Should it just pull out?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum