BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Stock Wheel GSXR Fork  Empty Stock Wheel GSXR Fork Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Ohnij

Ohnij
I bought a set of sweet restored GSXR 600/750 forks and matching calipers.  My question is about the Rotors and the stock wheels themselves.  Do i need some sort of conversion hub?  Or do I only need spacers?  What rotors can i use to make the swap work?  I know this swap has been done with these wheels.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2Back to top Go down   Stock Wheel GSXR Fork  Empty Re: Stock Wheel GSXR Fork Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Ohnij

Ohnij
Im reading that i may need a spacer for the axel as well as disc spacers so that they align with the calipers.

3Back to top Go down   Stock Wheel GSXR Fork  Empty Re: Stock Wheel GSXR Fork Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:02 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Lots of things to match up:

Wheel spindle diameter(s): the ends of the K spindle might not match the bores in the bottom of the fork legs/or the GSXR spindle (if you use that instead) might not match the diameter of the ball races in the K wheel. A bespoke spindle, or boring/sleeving the fork legs is required.

Wheel spindle length/axle spacers: the K axle spacers might not be correct for the GSXR fork spacing. Bespoke/modified spacers are required.

Disc diameter: unless the K discs are the same diameter as the GSXR discs, then you'll need adaptor brackets to line the calipers up radially.

Disc offset/spacing: this is how far apart the discs are spaced axially. Assuming that you're already signed up for a set of caliper mounting adaptor brackets in order to achieve radial alignment, then the disc offset can be catered for in the adaptor brackets. If you're lucky, and you don't need adaptor brackets to move the calipers radially, then you have the option of placing spacers between the disc and the wheel mountings in order to achieve this axial alignment. Alternatively, you can machine the disc mounting posts, or the calipers mounts on the forks.

Note that when you are locating the caliper, it must clear the wheel spokes and, ideally, be removable with the wheel in place.

The above stuff is straightforward, but requires access to a sharp pencil and a machine shop. I'm not aware of any off the shelf adaptors or stuff, but you can sometimes get lucky with standard parts. I'm told that a GSXR wheel can sometimes fit straight in to a set of those forks..... Wink

Edit, if you want to post some dimensions up here, then you'll get lots of advice from us K people. Take it in stages - first thing to settle is what wheel spindle to use  Stock Wheel GSXR Fork  112350

4Back to top Go down   Stock Wheel GSXR Fork  Empty Re: Stock Wheel GSXR Fork Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Ohnij

Ohnij
Thanks for the info.  Great stuff to keep in mind.  Right now im waiting on the parts and will do a mock up with the stock wheel so that i can conceptualize everything.  I'll post my findings and everything done to make this swap work for future reference.

5Back to top Go down   Stock Wheel GSXR Fork  Empty Re: Stock Wheel GSXR Fork Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:56 am

Ohnij

Ohnij

6Back to top Go down   Stock Wheel GSXR Fork  Empty Re: Stock Wheel GSXR Fork Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:07 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
That looks an absolutely lovely bit of kit....

but, ouch!  $$ Shocked$$

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum