BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Follow up from Mississippi  Empty Follow up from Mississippi Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:21 pm

GrayRider

GrayRider
Hello friends, in my intro, I told you about buying a 1995 K1100LT that was down for more than 5 years. It has 58,000 mile on the clock and looked fair, so after selling my 1983 Goldwing and sidecar, I took a chance on a BMW. I heard it turn over and saw the gauges all turn on before loading it, so it looked a little better. Not any BMWs in my area, but after finding this forum, and finding some friendly help, I ordered a new Westco battery, a fuel pump, filter, and fuel lines. I replaced the lines, cleaned the tank and hooked up the pump. The pump wouldn't power up and after fooling with the relays, it came on, but no fun. I figured the injectors sat too long with dirty gas and ordered some reconditioned ones for about $80.00 bucks. 
   The injectors came in yesterday and this morning after an hour's work; the ol' gal fired up and purred for me! I've never seen a K bike or heard one before today, and its a sweet sound. It cleared out after a few minutes and I didn't see any leaks from anything so far. $2100.00 for the bike, about $400.00 more for the parts ain't bad. Next on the list is a rear master cylinder. The front brakes appear to work. I will probably pull the ABS, replace all lines with braided new ones and Chinese rear master cylinder. Will the front master cylinder work ok without ABS? Any advice is welcome. Thanks to all who welcomed us and I look forward to hearing more from you all.

2Back to top Go down   Follow up from Mississippi  Empty Re: Follow up from Mississippi Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:38 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds good!  Nice job getting it running.  

Like many before me, I stripped the ABS1 from a 16V K100RS.  The front master cylinder works fine with or without ABS.

One caution based on my experience.  Make sure your new rear brake line has banjo fittings at each end and that the Commie master cylinder has a banjo fitting.  I ran into a problem on one of my bikes where the BMW brake line was threaded into the master cylinder.  I bought a Commie unit that I thought would work, but the Commies seem to use a different thread and the line wouldn't screw into the master cylinder.  It's not a big deal, just be aware of it.

Now that it's running, check the valve shims.  On the 1100 they will probably be okay, then do a throttle body balance.  I use a cheap redneck balancer, photo below.

Follow up from Mississippi  Thrott12

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Follow up from Mississippi  Empty ABSectomy and now no start Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:45 pm

GrayRider

GrayRider
Here's hoping for tips on what's going on. After cranking my new 1995 K1100LT project, I wanted to get the brakes working. I had ABS warning lights and the rear master cylinder was bad, so I decided to pull the ABS and replace the hoses to the front master cylinder and and calipers with non-abs stainless braided ones. I ordered a chinese rear master cylinder and replacement braided hose for that end. I disconnected the battery, removed the type 2
abs pump/controller, abs harness to the front and rear discs and their mounts. I didn't remove anything going to the guages area and sealed up the large connector with electrical tape, that went to the abs pump and controller. 
  I also removed the hard brake lines. After all this, I reconnected the fuel tank and battery, switched on the key and heard the fuel pump, but the starter didn't turn the motor over. The starter relay had a leg that supplied 12v to the abs pump, which I removed, but the connector and black starter cable on the starter relay is connected. The transmission is in neutral with the indicator on and the side stand is up and the bike is on the main stand. 
    I looked for any loose connectors, but haven't seen any. I looked a bit at a schematic, but it didn't show a starter relay. Also I've seen that there should be two blue abs relays to remove, but I only had one.. Any ideas where to look next, do I need to remove something else on abs?

4Back to top Go down   Follow up from Mississippi  Empty Re: Follow up from Mississippi Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:24 am

Arlina

Arlina
- Sidestand.
- Sidestandswitch.
- Sidestandswitchconnector.

Check these 3 items.

5Back to top Go down   Follow up from Mississippi  Empty Re: Follow up from Mississippi Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:40 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Looks like the same question is also in the Electrical section......

Mike

6Back to top Go down   Follow up from Mississippi  Empty ABSectomy continued Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:23 pm

GrayRider

GrayRider
Duh...., well you folks passed that test.....my O.L.D. had kicked in, combined with bad reading glasses, I had indeed disconnected my 12v feed to the starter relay. When I disconnected the ABS unit under the seat, it did have a 12v lines and ground the same size as the starter feed. I pulled on the wiring trying to locate where it went and couldn't see there were other similar sized red wires. This bike has four red wires in one connector going to the positive battery lug; never seen that before. My old Honda, Harleys had one cable to negative and to positive.
    I reconnected the red 12 volt lead to the starter relay, installed the tank and gas lines, and Bingo! She fired right up, with no warning lights and the brake lights, etc, all appear to work as expected. I now wait for brake lines and rear master cylinder before going for a ride. I try to use the K.I.S.S. system, but sometimes the stupid over powers the simple. I'm glad you experienced guys are out there. Thanks for your help.

7Back to top Go down   Follow up from Mississippi  Empty Follow up from Mississippi 2 Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:39 am

GrayRider

GrayRider
Posting a follow up to say that my K1100LT is on the road again. It now has a Chi-Com rear master cylinder and front and rear Spiegler brake lines. They had a W/O ABS set, but I had to give measurements for a custom rear line. Bled the brakes and checked for anything loose or leaking and eased down the drive way. I rode about 6 miles, checking operation of everything. Definitely different from the '83 Goldwing I'd sold and the Harley Electraglides I've had. I like it. Since that ride, I found one drop of blue antifreeze under the engine, but it has stopped. May have to rebuild the water/oil pump soon. Bought some liability insurance and took a second ride of about 14 miles. The Metzlers are old, but don't appear cracked or dry rotted. I will run them for a while; spent about $600.00 on her so far. Fixed income. I have had two of my Harley buddies check it out. They'd never seen a one-sided swing arm, and a K Model to them is a mid 50s Flathead Harley Sportster. I can't wait to ride into town and expose it to more riders. Just the stock loud horns may blow them away. I may be the only Brick in these parts. Thanks again for your help friends. Wilson "Bill" Farnham

8Back to top Go down   Follow up from Mississippi  Empty Re: Follow up from Mississippi Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:26 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Good to hear that you have it running! Ya'll don't be a stranger around here. Check in now and then to let us know what you're up to.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content