BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Removing Bike VIN sticker Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:58 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
I'm into this K100 restoration project and would like to preserve the Bike's VIN sticker (found on left side of the bike next to the handle).  Background, I've decided that either the frame needs powder coating or needs a thorough painting. So I parked the bike on a roll-around platform and pulled the frame off. The last time I had a bike powder coated the VIN sticker was of course destroyed. This time I would like to keep it if at all possible. Does anyone know of a reasonable approach to removing the sticker? Tried Goof Off with no success. Is it possible to use a heat gun to remove it. Is there anyway to get a replacement sticker?

thanks
J.

2Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:17 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I had the painter protect the VIN sticker on my frame when I got it painted. I doubt you'd be able to remove and reattach the VIN sticker because the manufacturer wants the VIN to remain with the frame through the life of the frame. If you were able to remove the sticker in an undetectable fashion, what's to stop you from attaching it to any frame and commit fraud.

3Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:28 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
At this point I'm planning on powder coating which means the frame will be bead or sand blasted and the sticker goes away. As to what keeps me from committing fraud the same as when I sell it after removing the sticker. Nothing. As far as I can tell the sticker protects nothing but provides a convenient way to keep certain information where I can readily read it. And given the state of the sticker the readability is questionable. But I thought I would try to preserve it, if possible.

4Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Is it possible to use a less aggressive media, like soda?

5Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:59 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
The only reason I can discern for that sticker is to display the recommended tire sizes and inflation.  The "official" VIN is stamped into the frame in another location.   If you can remember 38 front and 42 rear, you don't need the sticker.

If you want to protect it from the blast media so it can be burned off when the powder is baked you can just put a couple layers of masking tape over it.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

6Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:00 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:The last time I had a bike powder coated the VIN sticker was of course destroyed. This time I would like to keep it if at all possible. Does anyone know of a reasonable approach to removing the sticker?
You could mask it with one or two layers of this stuff. Knowing your dedication to frugality, maybe you could start a GoFundMe page to effect purchase.  Smile

It could be possible to remove it using a heat gun and something like CitriSolv but that would take a deft touch.

7Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:54 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
You could mask it with one or two layers of this stuff. Knowing your dedication to frugality, maybe you could start a GoFundMe page to effect purchase.  Smile
I think a major clue is where they state "REQUEST A QUOTE"!! If it's so pricey they can't/won't tell you how much it i, then it's probably costs more than the bike.

8Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:27 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:I think a major clue is where they state "REQUEST A QUOTE"!! If it's so pricey they can't/won't tell you how much it i, then it's probably costs more than the bike.
They state the price if you can figure out how to click the green Amazon buttons into action; they're stubborn. Anyway, it's ~98 bucks for two 1"x36yard rolls. That's a doable GoFundMe goal. The quote request refers to bulk buying.

9Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:46 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
jjefferies wrote:I think a major clue is where they state "REQUEST A QUOTE"!! If it's so pricey they can't/won't tell you how much it i, then it's probably costs more than the bike.
They state the price if you can figure out how to click the green Amazon buttons into action; they're stubborn. Anyway, it's ~98 bucks for two 1"x36yard rolls. That's a doable GoFundMe goal. The quote request refers to bulk buying.
Yeah!! Hidden prices, sure suprises.
Anyway I've gone asking around. Consensus is that the sticker is going to go away with sand/bead blasting but that the VIN number is stamped into the frame on the opposite side of the bike (sitting on the bike the sticker is on the left down tube and the stamped VIN is on the right). Assumption is that K75 and K100's are handled the same way. However checking my Silver K75 the powder coating has filled in the VIN number (Powder coating is rather thick) essentially obliterating it. I suppose a forensic scientest could uncover it but it's not visible to the naked eye. Which is another issue with powder coating. Think I may change powder coating companies after some more investigation. Ran into a chap yesterday who restores old motorcycles (doesn't touch anything manufactured after 1970) and he recommended another company. Wait and see. I'm in no rush.

Total aside, something I had not been aware of before it just bit me in the posterior, but the pandemic has caused auto rental prices to double or more. I will be going to Denver for an athletic competition and needed an auto rental for two days. It turns out to be the most expensive part of the trip. Live and Learn.

10Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:57 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Personally, I wouldn't powder coat a vintage bike frame. Paint is much more cost effective and is easily repairable.

But, if you must do it, just have them mask off the number when media blasting and spraying the powder, and then remove the masking before baking. A quick shot of black paint after it's powder coated will protect the steel of the frame. It's not like the VIN is in a spot where it's exposed o a lot of abuse.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

11Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:46 pm

gorio

Silver member
Silver member
This won't help with the vin sticker removal.

I have produced a large amount of metal work that lives out side and learn a couple of things about painting and power coating the hard way.
First off regardless the metal should be cleaned, usually by blasting. you can protect the sticker with tape or special resist material.

A paint job will start with a primer and the at least one colour coat and possibly a clear coat. Todays paints are UV resistant as well as chip resistant. A good high build epoxy will be as good as power for my money but the primer is still the key to longevity.

The powder coating procedure I had the best success with was to spray a high zinc power on to the preheated metal. this seemed to give it better bit then spraying and then baking. The piece would then be sprayed with the choice of finish colour and bake the 450 deg F or higher for some epoxy powders.

i don't think your sticker would survive. I would find a local sticker maker and see if they could peice a few photos together and cut you a new vinyl one? Not as good as the original but you could always replace it if it were damaged some years latter.

Past lives
Kawasaki Concours
1976 BMW R90s
1975 Ducati 860gt
1992 Honda VFR750
1985 Honda VF750
1982 Kawasaki 750GPZ
1975 Norton 850 Commando

12Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:27 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
There are a few places reproducing stickers this is just one.http://www.heritagestickers.eu/cat/product/k75-and-k100-complete-kit/. With a bit of research you should uncover more.
Regards Martin.

13Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:24 pm

tgolden

tgolden
Silver member
Silver member
I'm planning to refinish my frame as well. I've got the VIN sticker with the dot matrix type VIN. The sticker was never easy to read.

My choices are to replace with another VIN sticker or a VIN plate. I haven't decided, because I haven't reached that bridge yet. There's no way I'm going to try to save the original sticker.

In my research, I did find the company on the link below that claims they can duplicate the original sticker, but the VIN will be printed instead of punched onto the label. They indicated to me that they can print the VIN with dots to duplicate the original punch job.

The process involves sending them a picture of the VIN sticker, with measurements, and they will produce an image for approval. If approved, they produce the replacement sticker.

https://www.vinslabels.com/replacement-vin-labels-door-jamb-stickers/index.html

Last edited by tgolden on Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:25 pm

tgolden

tgolden
Silver member
Silver member
MartinW wrote:There are a few places reproducing stickers this is just one.http://www.heritagestickers.eu/cat/product/k75-and-k100-complete-kit/. With a bit of research you should uncover more.
Regards Martin.

Those guys don't do VIN stickers.

15Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Wed May 05, 2021 3:00 am

Stickersman

Stickersman
Silver member
Silver member
tgolden wrote:
MartinW wrote:There are a few places reproducing stickers this is just one.http://www.heritagestickers.eu/cat/product/k75-and-k100-complete-kit/. With a bit of research you should uncover more.
Regards Martin.

Those guys don't do VIN stickers.

Wrong  Smile

Here's an example of the reminder sticker for the MFD and VIN
Removing Bike VIN sticker QZO5K0g

and another example for the R80G/S is on:
https://www.heritagestickers.eu/cat/product/r80g-s-vin-and-tyres-silver-frame-labels-us-and-canada-only/

Finally, some VECI stickers are available too.

For any inquiry feel free to get in touch, thanks.

16Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:06 pm

LA_Cafe

LA_Cafe
Good morning,

Just sent you guys an email re: VIN stickers needed for my K75 Build. 

Been a long time since I used this forum, I'm more active at MotoBrick @almostordinary. 

My frame got powder coated and it's a mess. I need to use thinner on the engraved numbers it's so thick and they completely blew away the VIN sticker even after they said they could preserve it. 

Hope we can save my bacon.

Thanks,
Ian

17Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:22 pm

Stickersman

Stickersman
Silver member
Silver member
LA_Cafe wrote:Good morning,

Just sent you guys an email re: VIN stickers needed for my K75 Build. 

Been a long time since I used this forum, I'm more active at MotoBrick @almostordinary. 

My frame got powder coated and it's a mess. I need to use thinner on the engraved numbers it's so thick and they completely blew away the VIN sticker even after they said they could preserve it. 

Hope we can save my bacon.

Thanks,
Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for reaching out, I have replied with full details, it is totally feasible.

cheers

18Back to top Go down   Removing Bike VIN sticker Empty Re: Removing Bike VIN sticker Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:09 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS