BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Empty Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:53 pm

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
So,I finally installed the new pump and filter the other evening. That went smooth and spent the last day or so slow charging the new battery. Today I put the battery in put the bike back together and after a few seconds of cranking she started and ran like it was running yesterday.It hasn't been run for a full year so I am happy.I shut it off,put that fuse circuit tester in the fuse spot that kept blowing and was reading 8 or 9 A last year and fired her up.I get a reading of 0.06 A now .It stays constant no matter what RPM I run the thing at. Here is a link to a short video I made with my camera .Video of K100 running . So,tomorrow I test it around the neighborhood and if all's good Friday or Saturday I get it inspected so it's all legal again and she's back in service. Wish me luck ,Electrical isn't my strong point ! Ed

2Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Empty Fuel pump Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:27 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Goodo hopefully it's fixed now.

Before your test ride it might be worth wiggling the wires while at idle to be sure the fuse doesn't blow again. 

I remember your thread of the problem. If I remember right, you were reading Amps higher than the fuse with the pump removed while you were wiggling the wires. Hopefully though the Amps stay low and your good to go.

3Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Empty Re: Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:42 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
cheers You can now sit back with a smug satisfied look on your face

4Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Empty Re: Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You say 0.06A. That is a heap lower than I would expect to see, 4-5A is about normal current draw for that type of pump. I am wondering how you have measured it? You may be on the wrong track about using a meter.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Empty Re: Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:49 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
daveyson wrote:Goodo hopefully it's fixed now.

Before your test ride it might be worth wiggling the wires while at idle to be sure the fuse doesn't blow again. 

I remember your thread of the problem. If I remember right, you were reading Amps higher than the fuse with the pump removed while you were wiggling the wires. Hopefully though the Amps stay low and your good to go.
I never tested it with the pump removed .I only tested it with the bike running . What I'm seeing on the wire diagram is that the relay for the parking light is linked to the relay for the fuel pump. It was the parking light relay fuse (2nd from top) that kept on blowing .So , after work today I'll look around and see if there is any problems with the parking light. It works as it should so I kind of doubt there is anything wrong there. It might just be that the current goes thru the top fuse before the lower one so it blows first.

6Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Empty Re: Fuel Pump Blowing Fuse Solved Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:57 am

yamaguzzi

yamaguzzi
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:You say 0.06A. That is a heap lower than I would expect to see, 4-5A is about normal current draw for that type of pump. I am wondering how you have measured it? You may be on the wrong track about using a meter.
 I'm going to test the pump fuse today after work. I thought the same thing but then learned that the relays for the parking light and fuel pump share a common feed .They also have the same value fuse. Not knowing German I just assumed that the fuse that kept blowing was for the pump because when I replaced it the pump worked again .

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum