BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Kill Switch Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:29 pm

Kjell.Martinn

Kjell.Martinn
Hey guys! Was currently riding my bike, after using the kill switch. Suddenly the headlight stop working. And the bike wouldent start. While searching for the problem, ive checked the starter relay, gave it som power and the bike started. It has good ground. And i recently found out that i think it is problem with the Kill Switch itself, it stuck in "kill" så it wont give me the power to start the bike.

No instruments on the bike. I also think that maybe that is some reason to it also. I tried give it som 12v through the instrument wire, and bypassing the kill Switch. And it started just fine?

And still only 12v on the same green cable while the clutch handle is pressed.

Here some pictures of the kill switch, currently only 12v on the cable i marked red.

Kill Switch Img_0310
Kill Switch Inkedi10

Some ideas? Maybe some faults in my description here, but maybe some of you guys understand it either way :-)

Thanks again!

2Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Re: Kill Switch Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Were you riding down the road when the headlight stopped working, or had you just shut off the moto using the kill switch after stopping and when you tried to start it the headlight went out and the starter wouldn't crank it, or something else?

The contacts of the kill switch need cleaning, that much is certain.

3Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Re: Kill Switch Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:26 am

Kjell.Martinn

Kjell.Martinn
Thanks for reply! I know have got it down to if i take a wire between the green wire i have marked red, and the green/yellow it starts, and that is the "kill Switch". Do i miss a part? I cant seem to figure out how these to is connected, and the power is cut when using the handle to kill it?
Kill Switch Image10

4Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Re: Kill Switch Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Kjell.Martinn wrote:Do i miss a part? I cant seem to figure out how these to is connected . . . 
. . . the power is cut when using the handle to kill it? . . .
Few of us are born with the knowledge of how these parts are configured, that's why some of us take photos of them before we disassemble them.  Laughing  A few parts are missing from your photos. The Tech Page that has a link within the Portal located at the top of this page is full of helpful documents. Scroll down in this one to find the kill switch disassembly photos.

If by "handle" you mean the red handle extending from the red ring around the starter button, yes. The handle pointing upwards means Live!; the handle point either left or right of upwards means Die!.

5Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Re: Kill Switch Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Kjell.Martinn

Kjell.Martinn
Thank you for your help, found out that i was missing a part who after a long hard look and alot of sweeping in the garage, i manage to find the connector thing who suppose to be there, and one spring :-) Also, i missed a bolt who was making the clutch hansle unsteady, and wouldent connectbproperly when pressed, fixed that and the connector thingy, and i ran like a dream😁

Thank u again!!

6Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Re: Kill Switch Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:56 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
You may find it's not the kill switch but the ignition switch. It can be intermittent.
The kill switch has very few moving parts and rarely fails. The ignition switch on the other hand is a complex system of contacts, springs and even a little ball bearing and it switches power to three circuits.
Both the kill switch and the ignition switch have dielectic grease applied in the factory. After 20 years or so this solidifies into a snotty consistency. Everything needs a good clean with isopropyl alcohol. Don't use anything abrasive. Repack with dielectric grease.
There are instructions around showing you how to pull the switch apart and best to do it in a plastic bag.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Kill Switch Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

7Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Re: Kill Switch Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 am

Kjell.Martinn

Kjell.Martinn
Thanks Holister! But i found out that the overall problem, was that a screw or something at the clutch handle had fallen off, so the clutch wiring for start, wouldent connect, so i replaced the screw and it got power to the starter button.

8Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Re: Kill Switch Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:10 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Kjell.Martinn wrote:. . . found out that i was missing a part who after a long hard look and alot of sweeping in the garage, i manage to find the connector thing who suppose to be there, and one spring :-)  
Kill Switch 723598

9Back to top Go down   Kill Switch Empty Re: Kill Switch Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:56 am

Kjell.Martinn

Kjell.Martinn
Kill Switch Image11 , Also, this screw was missing, it made the clutch lose and not get contact with the connectors who give power to the starter button..

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum