BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   compression testing Empty compression testing Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:07 pm

jwh01

HI all,

I am not sure if my engine is turning over when i press the starter button, the starter motor spins. but nothing much else. just wondering if i put on a compression tester would this indicate that my engine is not turning with a Zero compression reading.

Thanks. John.

2Back to top Go down   compression testing Empty Re: compression testing Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:47 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there.
If the starter turns but engine is not, you´ll hear a wining sound like a blender spining without cup or and electric drill, if the engine is turning youl hear and fill it much like a car, if you want to be shure put your hand on the exaust pipe end and feel the flow, no flow no turn.
Best regards
JAP

3Back to top Go down   compression testing Empty Re: compression testing Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:58 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
John, like Stout said in your other thread about spark plugs, just check to see if there is a 'chuffing' sound or feel at the end of your muffler. Put your hand over the outlet hole on the muffler and have a helper push the starter button. If you feel air pressure at your hand as the starter is turning over, you've got compression, which means the engine is turning over.

4Back to top Go down   compression testing Empty Re: compression testing Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:19 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
These bikes are known for the starter spraug (?) clutch gumming up when you drive lots of short trips or have dirty oil. Starter motor runs, but the startermotor 'clutch' doesn't take the engine along. Sometimes it comes loose if you reverse the bike for a bit, otherwise you'll need to use a cleaning oil. If you get her going (push start??) drive her long and thoroughly warmed up. There is not a lot of oil flow over that clutch and therefore the gumming up. Have a search on the forum.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland compression testing Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   compression testing Empty Re: compression testing Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:09 pm

jwh01

Thanks for the help all but i have decided to strip the trike right down every nut and bolt. she needs some TLC.

John

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum