BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
I have gently used a pry bar as well as a rubber mallet, but I'm still not able to remove the front cover. Any suggestions? TIA!

Removing the Water/Oil Pump Front Cover Img_1010

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Some of those covers can be difficult. Getting a bit more enthusiastic should be the answer. I had to use a fine knife blade to remove one a few years ago.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Don't use a pry bar, gently or otherwise. Mating surfaces could be damaged. 

Rick G's fine-knife method would likely work, of course, but there's always the danger of self-inflicted slash injuries by the inexperienced, and then the cost of a new fine knife when the used one looks like a beaver has been chewing on it.

Judging from the appearance of the pump's inlet, the pump's cover seam could have barnacles growing along it. Laughing An alternative method might be heating the perimeter of the cover with a heat gun or hair dryer then squirting some Liquid Wrench along its seam with the engine block, taking an emotionally restorative break, then tapping the cover sideways multiple times—like the drum breaks in Surfin' Bird—around its perimeter with the rubber mallet—preferably a deadblow mallet. Don't imitate Thor, no matter how much you might worship him. Be patient. Be persistent.

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
To make it easier to understand, the old sealant has a good grip and that is what is holding it together.  You will see this when it is apart.  

Along the upper section you will see a lip which goes in towards the engine.  If you push a blade screwdriver in there and work your way along you should be able to loosen the top edge which will break the seal.  Then it is a matter of "peeling" off the cover.  Looking from the front, in the top right corner you can lever the screwdriver against the engine bolt head.  

Start gently and then tap the handle of the screwdriver with the palm of your hand till it "breaks".  The longer the screwdriver, the easier it will be.  

As the lip is not part of the sealing surface it does not matter if you damage it although I don't expect you will.

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
TacKler wrote:Along the upper section you will see a lip which goes in towards the engine.

TacKler, is this the lip you are referring to?
Removing the Water/Oil Pump Front Cover Screen10

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, although yours appears to go forward whilst my K75's goes to the rear.  

Is it possible the 100 and 75 are different?

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
TacKler wrote:Is it possible the 100 and 75 are different?

Yes, they are.  Thanks for confirming though.
Removing the Water/Oil Pump Front Cover Screen12
Removing the Water/Oil Pump Front Cover Screen11

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
My bad.  School day, etc...

bmwk100rs

bmwk100rs
Silver member
Silver member
TacKler wrote:If you push a blade screwdriver in the top right corner you can lever the screwdriver against the engine bolt head.

Thanks TacKler, that did it. For future reference, see below a picture showing where to place the screwdriver against the engine bolt.  I was surprised that it put such a fight with so little of that red seal. Thanks again!
Removing the Water/Oil Pump Front Cover Img_1011
Removing the Water/Oil Pump Front Cover Img_1012
Removing the Water/Oil Pump Front Cover Img_1013

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum