BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Need Diagrams Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:10 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Hi all,
I'm restoring an '86 K100 (0031438). It's been six months since I took it all apart and naturally I've been working on the K75's as well so details of the K100 have been forgotten. Like where I put certain parts or what they look like. For instance the ignition controller (I think it is) that fits next to the front fork tube (actually has an extension that pushes into the frame ) has a rubber grommet and .... ANYWAY. I need diagrams I've been paging around through MAX BMW and REALOEM and their diagrams aren't exactly what I would want

Are there any diagrams of the K100 floating around on the web with parts broken out?  I've got the CLymer and Haynes manuals but they leave a bit to be desired as well.

thanks
J.

2Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:18 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member

Last edited by robmack on Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

3Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
always a good idea to take pictures on disassembly  
you probably wont need that gromit in any case , havent seen one left in there across many machines 

just a heads up

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:39 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:always a good idea to take pictures on disassembly  
you probably wont need that gromit in any case , havent seen one left in there across many machines 

just a heads up
Yeah, you're probably right. There was some sort of crispy stuff in the hole. Probably the powder coating heat took it out. Still I do like to try to get it right. And I took pictures. Just not of that detail. Seriously don't remember the grommet.

5Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:23 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
For once (and very rarely!) I'd disagree with Charlie. It's an anti-vibration mount; if it's missing it gives the ICU a chance to pivot about the two front anti-vib mounts and potentially bang the ICU's tailspike against the headstock. I say potentially because the plug will do a good job of damping any movements. It appears to be a specially molded gromment (just been and looked) but equally, any grommet that will push into that hole and grip the ICU's tailspike should do the job.

Just my 2C.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

6Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:49 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:I need diagrams I've been paging around through MAX BMW and REALOEM and their diagrams aren't exactly what I would want
If you want a massage with a happy ending, they don't supply that.
From Max BMW:
Need Diagrams Scree171
Need Diagrams Scree172

A price sheet with the same diagram is in realoem at this link. The same part has been on those motos since 1983.

It isn't rocket science, but maybe that's the problem. Laughing

7Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:07 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Haven't seen a rocket lately, and still working on K's Razz 

Just in case, upload a picture of where you have a problem with a brief description, and we'll find a way to help you with it.
Lots of guys 'n girl here can dream the bikes Cool

8Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:00 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys. Came up with a solution. Remembered where there was a K75 parts bike in the back of a shed. It gave up the necessary parts. I took out the fuel injector module and labeled it as K75 and tossed it in the spare parts bin. The K75 and K100 do differ in the injector modules don't they?

Anyway it's coming together faster than I thought. I'm cleaning and/or painting each piece as I get to it.
Got a new fuel rail and will swap that out as soon as I see the electrics and cables are back in place.
Then the front wheel back on.

BTW, why does the K75 have/need a steering damper and the K100 doesn't? Is there a difference in the rake of the fork tubes?

9Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:32 am

Arlina

Arlina
K100 and 75 injector modules are indeed different.

The K75 has a steeringdamper because there is less weight on the front.

Need Diagrams Voorvo10

10Back to top Go down   Need Diagrams Empty Re: Need Diagrams Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:41 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Arlina wrote:The K75 has a steeringdamper because there is less weight on the front.
That's a belief I had, too, until I read this Kevin Cameron article and viewed Dunlop's video covering wobble and weave that accompanied it. If we accept that wobble is low speed oscillation of a motorcycle's steering assembly at ≈40mph or below, then the obverse of your statement could be the reason. There's too much weight toward the front. Here's an extract from Cameron's article containing the video. I added the bold font.
Stability against wobble is increased by reducing the steered mass (front wheel, brake, fork, plus any added load).  … Wobble is generally easily damped by hands on the bars or by a steering damper. 

Installing a damper to prevent wobble at suburban speeds would make marketing sense for a moto that thrives at high revs on the highway. BMW would not want riders to be upset by wobbling through their neighborhoods after a blitz trip on the freeway, however unlikely that could be. I especially liked the astoundingly uncomplicated advice given in both the article and on the video—if you keep both hands on the handlebar, the moto is unlikely to wobble. Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum