BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Snashall

Snashall
G'day All,

I sought out the rubber bellows that are fitted on the underside of the upper K100RS fairing and over the fork leg. 2 of them per bike.  The parts manual calls them gaskets, part # 46 63 1 45 0620, and they're now NLA.  Has anyone managed to source them elsewhere?  Any help greatly appreciated:-)

Cheers, Alan
'88 K100RS SE

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member

Last edited by Point-Seven-five on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
That part was replaced by air inlets to help increase airflow inside the fairing to reduce engine heat on the rider. 

Get the air inlets and a pair of Rancho 1952 fork boots and you'll have the classic BMW look.  You will also be protecting your fork seals from damage.  I've done that to all my bricks, and so far have yet to need a fork seal replacement.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Snashall

Snashall
Point-seven-five

Thanks for the advice about the rubber boot replacement.  I think I prefer the chrome look forks and will stay with them, and replace seals as necessary:-)  However, the air scoops sound interesting.  I assume from what you've said that they're genuine parts and should be easily identified as superceding the old "boots".  I tried to order from a local dealer and they didn't come up as superceded, just NLA.  I'll try elsewhere and see what I can find.  Don't suppose you have a part # for the scoops?

BTW love your SE:-)

Cheers, Alan

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
Snashall wrote:Point-seven-five

Thanks for the advice about the rubber boot replacement.  I think I prefer the chrome look forks and will stay with them, and replace seals as necessary:-)  However, the air scoops sound interesting.  I assume from what you've said that they're genuine parts and should be easily identified as superceding the old "boots".  I tried to order from a local dealer and they didn't come up as superceded, just NLA.  I'll try elsewhere and see what I can find.  Don't suppose you have a part # for the scoops?

BTW love your SE:-)

Cheers, Alan

Hi Alan,

Here are the parts as per Bobs BMW. On the first link scroll across to RADIATOR TRIM PANEL CENTER and click on it to get the expanded parts list.

I believe the fork gaiters/bellows are really designed for cooler weather to block airflow. As such, to get them off/on requires that they be cut through to the center hole to get them around the stanchion. I have the air scoops on my 1985 K100RS and at speed I can feel the air being redirected if I put my hand just ahead and to the left or right of the gas tank.

MotorWorks has new/used gaiters and may have used scoops as well. See the last 2 links for those items.

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/microfiche/BrowseParts.aspx?GroupName=Frame%2c+Body%2c+Fairing%2c+Luggage+(46)&MBike=51750&GroupID=46

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/microfiche/DisplayImage.aspx?Size=Full&Type=Z&ImageID=5614

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=46631450620&search=SEARCH

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=6&Q=31421455333&search=SEARCH

Cheers,
Tom

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've replaced my fork seals once when I first got my Brick  20+ years ago. When I replaced them I packed thick silicone grease between the seal and the dust cover. I replace the grease every couple of years more often in dusty conditions. The grease traps any dust/crap that gets past the dust seal and lubes the fork seals.
Regards Martin.

Snashall

Snashall
Many thanks Martin & Tom,

All questions answered, and I didn't even break into a sweat:P lol  I've checked the links and have decided to go "standard" with boots, but no "overshoes".  To divert from standard is to risk fate, and perhaps start on the slippery slope towards Cafe Racerism:P

The advice about greasing the fork dust seals is a good one and it should go in all the manuals:-)

Cheers, and thanks again, Alan

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Packing the front master cylinder entry and rear master cylinder boot with silicone grease will extend their lives it stops crap/water getting in. I'm currently running a Chinese $15.00 rear and my perfect OEM one went to a mate after his stuffed up. I do not have shares in the silicone grease industry.
Regards Martin.

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Interested in seeing a picture of the air scoops replacing the fork gaiter in the fairing on the RS. Tried to follow the links posted but either do not know what I am doing or they have been dropped.
First question: 
How necessary are the rubber fairing stanchion gaskets to the bike's performance?
Second Question:
Will it be okay to remove them (they are torn and in poor condition) or will I rue the day as the weather and road dirt will end up inundating the internal part of the fairing and me?

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
All my Bricks were 1988 or later and had the scoops instead of the gaskets.  No problem with dirt and whatnot getting under the tank from the openings.

Since I didn't have any of the gaskets on my bikes, I can't comment on any cooling effect improvement by the scoops.

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
Here are some photos for you. The air scoop from above.

Parts availability advice - fork/fairing boots 117

From below:

Parts availability advice - fork/fairing boots 313

The large D-shaped opening that the stanchions pass through would be completely blanked off by the bellows.

Parts availability advice - fork/fairing boots 211

And the bellows/gaskets themselves. Obviously, as the forks move left and right, the rubber bellows move. I'm sure that over time this will eventually lead to tearing of the rubber. To install them you would need to make a cut from one side to the center hole to slide them around the stanchion, otherwise you would have to drop the fork tube assembly-not practical, really.

Parts availability advice - fork/fairing boots Gaiter10

If you place your hand above the opening (which is just to the left and right at the front of the gas tank) where the scoops are when riding, you will feel a good blast of air, but you will also feel that blast of air without them. Does it make any real difference? I'm not entirely convinced that they make any appreciable difference to your riding experience. They catch bugs, though!

AtLarge

AtLarge
Laughing

Condition:  Used, well

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Thank you
Yes on both my bikes the bellows/gaskets are torn.
I was curious to find a part number for the scoop but now that you have shown me the extent of the scoop I may just remove the torn gaskets/bellows and not install the little scoops.
I still could not find a part number for the scoops on a couple microfiche sites, although that is immaterial now.
Shep

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
You can find them on the K75RT parts fiche at MaxBMW.

31 42 1 455 333  AIR INLET LEFT $3.93

31 42 1 455 334  AIR INLET RIGHT $3.93

51 16 1 881 149  EXPANDING RIVET(need 6 each) $0.36ea

46 63 1 456 167  EDGE PROTECTION - 90MM(need 2 each) $1.82ea

Past:
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Once again, Thank you
I was microfiching in the wrong place, I should have looked at the K75 parts as well as the K100 parts!
Shep

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum