BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Crash Bars/Case Savers Empty Crash Bars/Case Savers Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:16 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Is there a difference in sizes of the 2valve K bike series crash bars/case savers between a K75 and a K100?  Reason for asking is that I have a pair of crash bars on my Silver K75 that were painted. In this situation I painted them silver/chrome but have found a pair of chromed ones that appealed more. Well the chrome is better than paint. Problem being that when I went to mount the chromed pair the left hand one's top mount point is about 3 inches further forward than the mount point. They're used and likely damaged at some point. Then I thought maybe I have a mix of parts with the right hand one off a K75 and the left from a K100. BTW, the right one does fit sort of/more or less. I was thinking about bending the left one so it would fit. Maybe!

And no I don't expect them to protect much in a crash. Just useful for mounting driving lights and other idiocies. And the bike was originally fitted with them.

best regards
J.

2Back to top Go down   Crash Bars/Case Savers Empty Re: Crash Bars/Case Savers Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:16 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
The upper mount of the bars is attached to the point on the frame where the front engine mount attaches to the frame.  Because the K100 has an extra cylinder the mounting point is one cylinder forward of where it is on the k75 relative to the mounting points on the oil pan.  This is what is affecting the shape of the bars for the two different models.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Crash Bars/Case Savers Empty Re: Crash Bars/Case Savers Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:44 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:The upper mount of the bars is attached to the point on the frame where the front engine mount attaches to the frame.  Because the K100 has an extra cylinder the mounting point is one cylinder forward of where it is on the k75 relative to the mounting points on the oil pan.  This is what is affecting the shape of the bars for the two different models.
So I am correct that what I have is a mixed set of bars. Didn't appear that the left crash bar had suffered any damage. Ok and as I remember I got them from a dealer down in LA some time ago. So not much I can do about adapting them

4Back to top Go down   Crash Bars/Case Savers Empty indentifying crash bars Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:37 pm

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
Some crash bars have their BMW Part Number stamped on them.

5Back to top Go down   Crash Bars/Case Savers Empty Re: Crash Bars/Case Savers Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:54 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
redrockmania wrote:Some crash bars have their BMW Part Number stamped on them.
Yup, one did and one didn't. If I had thought about the possibility when I got them I could have checked. Alas I didn't. Just take the loss.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum