BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Hi all, a continuation of the thread "Oooh, 'Dat hurt", but this time with an eye to creating case savers, the cases in this situation are the crank case cover and the cylinder head cover. Background, I purchased new rubber sandwiches from the link Duck provided https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/1670/9217K46?SrchEntryWebPart_InpBox=9217k46, and proceeded to restore the BMW case saver on the left side. In the process found the left case saver was slightly bent. So I put it in a vise and proceeded to straighten or at least put new bends in the case saver. I was a little bit taken back to find that my own weight and muscle were sufficient to bend the case saver rear strut. So much so that I decided that the BMW case savers as currently implemented are as others have opined pretty much worthless. I liked the Polizei version Laitch showed us but can't disagree that finding them is just as likely as a KPOP idol asking for a selfie with me. And my being able to manufacture them even more unlikely.

So it seems there are two possible solutions:
1. replace the top connection (ie the one that goes to the frame/engine mount) with something solid as Dai  has suggested.
2. either replace the case savers whole or augment them. When I had an R100 I put sacrificial jug savers on the end of the jugs to take take the abuse they received whenever the jugs intersected the pavement. The first set I bought and the second set I made. They were hogged/roughed out of aluminum plate and mounted on top of the jugs. Unfortunately the K75/100 cases don't have as convenient connecting/mounting points as does the R100. But then the thought hit me that we are talking of sacrificial case savers and why not plastic. I know where to get (I think it's ABS) 1cm ~ 1/4" thick plastic sheet/pieces. And I know that it can be bent with heat. Issue is how to mount.

So now the request for input. Anyone got any better ideas? Any thoughts or critiques? I'm of the opinion that 1cm ~ 1/4" ABS plastic surrounding the front of the cases could absorb the shock and grinding of slow speed or garage drops. Are the cases themselves strong enough? My most recent experience did scratch the cylinder head cover at the front. As to mounting, how about gluing in place? Messy but do the cases get so hot that it's a non-starter? And when a K75/100 goes over onto its side are the cases what it lies on. I will experiment. When I have help or can rig a block and tackle to help get it upright. Strained  my back the last time I did that. Sad

J.Jefferies

Last edited by jjefferies on Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I'll try and find them and post. Somewhere out there someone was selling K series engine cover protective devices for both sides. I think they attached with double sided tape.
Regards Martin.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote:I liked the Polizei version Laitch showed us but can't disagree that finding them is just as likely as a KPOP idol asking for a selfie with me.
Well then, j, I'll disagree with me. There's one of them on eBay right now, without mounting hardware. Laughing

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
BSK Speed Works https://www.bing.com/ck/a?
Regards Martin.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:BSK Speed Works https://www.bing.com/ck/a?
Regards Martin.
Very nice Martin, They look pretty sharp. Even the price ain't that bad. Think it's 80 pounds or USD$110. delivered. I'm definitely keeping an eye on them. But I'd still like to try making my own. But your info does do a couple of  things for me, 1.) the idea isn't completely stupid. 2.) they claim to use them in racing so maybe they have some experience 3.) they use double sided sticky tape to mount them. (hadn't thought of that yet).

But as I've already bought the plastic pieces I'll try and see how hard it is to duplicate their work. And if it is beyond my abilities or time, etc then I have a source. The pictures really do look good.
thanks for the heads up.
J.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
jjefferies wrote:I liked the Polizei version Laitch showed us but can't disagree that finding them is just as likely as a KPOP idol asking for a selfie with me.
Well then, j, I'll disagree with me. There's one of them on eBay right now, without mounting hardware. Laughing
Thanks Laitch,  I checked them. No mounting hardware as you indicated and the price is a tad pricey USD $385 used with potential fitting issues. Think I'd go with Martin's plastic jobies for $110. But I'm kind of looking for a project and with 3 K's to provide for.... Home made, if possible, sounds good.

thanks
J.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:BSK Speed Works https://www.bing.com/ck/a?
Regards Martin.
Martin, do you have any feel for how thick those ABS case savers are? The picture makes them look quite thin compared to the plastic I picked up which is 1cm thick. I'm wondering as I know the 1cm plastic is a problem to bend. Have to get it quite hot and then put on the mold. (which reminds me must see if I can find some abused cases to use as molds).
J.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've got know idea on the thickness and I don't know anyone who has tried them. I think Tackler might have been looking at them years ago. I also couldn't find any reviews online. I do remember considering a set quite a few years ago and can't remember why I didn't get them. Let us know if you find any information on them.
Regards Martin.

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
EME has them as well but I believe originally a BSK design.  Probably a cheaper option for you.  

The problem with EME is they sent stuff here via UPS.  It arrives quickly but costs and arm and a leg to do so.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
TacKler wrote:EME has them as well but I believe originally a BSK design.  Probably a cheaper option for you.  
The problem with EME is they sent stuff here via UPS.  It arrives quickly but costs and arm and a leg to do so.
So much for that idea. You are right about EME having them and they are USD $75. But that is without shipping. Even the wordage is straight from the UK website.  My urge to make my own is dissipating all too rapidly. I was just on my way to the garage to make measurements. Don't know whether to be bemused or lots of laughs.

Just ordered them from EME. Sigh, Think I'm going to go back to repairing that R100RS fairing that I got scammed on. Maybe put it on Red instead of the R100RT.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Laitch wrote:
(cough, cough, cough, choke) HOW MUCH????!!!!!

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:
Laitch wrote:
(cough, cough, cough, choke) HOW MUCH????!!!!!
Yeah, my feelings as well. But hey the usual case savers aren't cheap either. And I figured that being used they're probably going to not be perfect. And then I've no idea of what mounting hardware is needed and if it's even available.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I've got know idea on the thickness and I don't know anyone who has tried them. I think Tackler might have been looking at them years ago. I also couldn't find any reviews online. I do remember considering a set quite a few years ago and can't remember why I didn't get them. Let us know if you find any information on them.
Regards Martin.
Will do and will post here.
J.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Somebody I know bought the BSK ones so I have seen them in person. They're probably worthwhile for very low speed or parking lots drops but they're plastic so a bike nap at speed will probably wear through them. (But you'll probably be more worried about your body than case covers in that situation.)

A word of warning: Make sure that they're very well stuck to the case covers. (I'd use some extra 3M double-sided trim mounting tape.) The person I know who got them had one fall off after only fifteen miles. Fortunately he noticed and recovered it but he then made extra sure that it was firmly attached.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Well, I got them from EME today and based on Duck's comments I am being extra critical of the mounting. Attached is a photo showing the 3M mounting tape. It is 1/2 inch wide and really does not look that secure to me. The thickness of the plastic is about 1/2 of the 1cm thick plastic I bought. But the left side one does seem to fit better to a K100 than a K75. In either case the left side seems to grip the case whilst the right side will definitely have to be firmly brute force attached by the tape. I am seriously thinking that I will need to purchase more tape and apply it before trying them out. Photos attached:Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Inside10
Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Leftsi10
Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Right_10

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
J what is the fitment issues with the lefthand k75 case cover? Is it a fixable issue or minor enough to be overlooked.
Regards Martin.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:J what is the fitment issues with the lefthand k75 case cover? Is it a fixable issue or minor enough to be overlooked.
Regards Martin.
Well the fitment problem would be more with the right than the left. On my K100 the left fits so tightly without any sticky tape that you have to almost pry it off. On the K75 the left side fits reasonably but not so tightly that you have to pry it off. Now this was all on a one time fitting. Could be that the seam gasket on my bikes made the difference. Will take a couple of tries to figure it out. Now on the right side the piece fits up  there but requires that someone press against it or hold it for it to remain in place unlike the left side. Which I assume is the issue for the tape. My suspicion is that the K75 cases were derived from the K100 and are possibly slightly different sized. And the manufacturer, BSK, states the covers are for 8 and 16 valve K bikes but I don't think it mentions  6 valve, i.e. K75. Oh and EME is just the American retailer of the English made BSK part. Even the description is taken from BSK.

Speaking of tape I just purchased, not yet delivered 50' of 1" wide LLPT double sided tape. I watched one of the youtube comparison videos which gave LLPT a higher rating than 3M.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIasko9-AmQ
So now I will try it in the real world.

And also it may be that the thickness of the plastic is part of the reason the BSK savers are only 1/2 cm. The thicker plastic may be a problem to bend/mould to the desired shape.

Best regards J

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks J I look forward to seeing how they fare. Please don't try any drop testing on my behalf.
Regards Martin.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Ok, I've not yet mounted the plastic case savers that I purchased from EME. Several reasons but in the meantime I've rather confused myself with some issues with the old case savers/crash bars and would like to ask for help getting all of that straight. First of all with the rubber(ized) mounts there was only one used on the right side. That was at the top mount to the frame-engine connection as seen in the first diagram below (1). But on the left side there were 2 or 3 ?? used as shown in the 2nd diagram. There was a kit shown in diagram (3) which has 4 of the rubber mounts shown. But the list of parts to that kit indicates either 4 or 4+1 of the rubberized mounts. Can any of the assembled knowledgeable persons correct me as to how many of the rubber(ized) mounts were actually used. And why just one on the right but 2 or 3 on the left?
Thanks guys.
Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Right_10
Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Both_s10
Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Case_s10
Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Case_s11

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
There are actually six breakaways, BUT! - four of them are separate items (the ones you have in your hands) and the other two are a direct bonding between the studs and the bar on item 12. The main problem down here is that the bonding starts to delaminate due to the constant hammering of road dirt; consequently good s/h ones are rockinghorseshit.

What I've done (twice now) is to make a solid item 12 from 3mm thick stainless flatbar and mount that to the sump via another two item 8. The additional 20mm of the rubberised mounts moving the bar outwards is largely taken up by the stud brackets moving inwards because there is no longer any rubber bonding there. Add the rather wide tolerances in the crashbar mounting holes and the crashbar ends up just a few mm off the same position as OEM.

Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Cb110Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Cb210

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
3 on the left
1 at the top on the right

Part 12 on the bottom right has rubber built in.

Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 QcAXD1H

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys, my confusion began with what appeared to be contradictory information off the Max BMW website. And I wondered if I had created my own problem by not mounting the old bars correctly. But it appears I mounted them correctly based on your input.

I have not mounted the new EME case saver plastic pieces as:
1.) I am looking to replace the R100RT fairing on Red with an R100RS fairing.
And that is taking longer than desired as I am having to correct the R100RS mount
which of course I got 2nd hand. I've not confirmed whether the piece is available
new and I suspect any 2nd hand version will likely have incorrect bends. You can
see Red in the current R100RT fairing in my picture. So I'm waiting to install
the plastic case savers until I get the fairing change complete.
2.) I'm going to try making a similar set of case savers out of 1cm thick plastic
for my Silver K75. And I can compare my efforts with the the work of professionals.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote: And I can compare my efforts with the the work of professionals.
Will you be knocking over the Brick at a standstill, sliding it at low speed. or both? Smile

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I am still sooo tempted to fit an R100RT fairing to my other brick. Is it a difficult job?

25Back to top Go down   Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Empty Case savers Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:59 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
One of my bricks had a crash bar from a boxer I think it was an R100RT. It was set up good for highway pegs.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:I am still sooo tempted to fit an R100RT fairing to my other brick. Is it a difficult job?
Not particularly You have to make changes to the fairing mount's main connection to allow you to use the bolts normally used for the steering dampener to hold it up. I modified a longer bolt for the steering dampener and used it to bolt down the main fairing mount. It seems to have worked without problems. Then two small rods from the crash bar/case saver top mounts to the bottom of the fairing's back end. Last or next to last bolt hole. I looked and found I didn't have any photos of Red from the side here is one:
Design of Case Savers for the K75 & K100 Red_110
Personally I think the fairings lines work well with the K75 shape

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I'd love to do it, if only to wind up the 'WTF!' and 'I used to have one of them' crowds Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum