BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New Project Empty New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:13 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
I've been having a problem with osteoarthritis of my knees which has been limiting my motorcycling riding pleasures, knees feel like they might fold in a stop. Anyway a friend suggested today that I might ought consider a side car rig, Duh! I do have an '86 K100 that's in partial restoration and... WHY NOT!

So I would like to educate myself as to what to search for, avoid and generally get me started. The '86 K100 is a stock bike with 50K or so on it. I'll be working on the engine etc as I go along. But what sort of modifications should I be looking into and what other sites other than this one might be useful to search. Is there any HowTo books out there?

thanks and best regards
J.Jefferies

2Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:37 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've seen three of these trike add on kits in the last 12 months on a Hardley a Goldwing and a Triumph. A mate also spotted one on a K100. https://www.bing.com/ck/a? Not sure if that was the brand I spotted and also not sure how they would handle?
Regards Martin.

3Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:57 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I've seen three of these trike add on kits in the last 12 months on a Hardley a Goldwing and a Triumph. A mate also spotted one on a K100. https://www.bing.com/ck/a? Not sure if that was the brand I spotted and also not sure how they would handle?
Regards Martin.
Well they do show "K 100 LT '87-'92 (B)" as being available. Wonder if the 1 year makes that much of a difference.
But for the moment I'm thinking in terms of side cars. I mean lane splitting in a trike? Wink
But they do show some odd parts including "jack stands, and a portable kickstand"
Interesting.

4Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:12 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I don't know if a sidecar would be much of an improvement in lane splitting. New Project 161205
Regards Martin.

5Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:26 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I don't know if a sidecar would be much of an improvement in lane splitting. New Project 161205
Regards Martin.
you Right! Surprised

6Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Continuing familarization Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:55 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
I've been reaching out and a fellow club member sent me the following sites to look at that I'll share. Are there any
other suggestions?:

https://ibmwr.org/index.php/ibmwr-marketplace/
https://sidecar.com/680-2/forum/3-miscellaneous-sidecar-related-for-sale/
https://www.cycletrader.com/motorcycles-for-sale?keyword=sidecar&sort=price%3Aasc
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=sidecar#search=1~gallery~0~0
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=sidecar+used&_sacat=6000&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=4
https://www.dmcsidecars.com/
https://boxermetal.com/

QUESTION, I have a picture in my mind of the side car being on the right side. But
in my familiarization I'm seeing ones on the left as well. Is there any advantages/disadvantages
to ether side. Obviously the car has to be built one way or the other.

And how many subsystems are there in a side car rig? car, subframe, front end mods? Anything else?
And what is the division between car and subframe?

7Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:39 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Left and right mounting depends on the side of the road you drive on. Lefthand mounting for OZ, UK Japan etc. RH mounting for US, Europe etc.
Regards Mounting.

8Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:48 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:Left and right mounting depends on the side of the road you drive on. Lefthand mounting for OZ, UK Japan etc. RH mounting for US, Europe etc.
Regards Mounting.
Ahh, the obvious that not thinking in the Internationale mode escaped me. Ok. Stupid question do people in OZ, Uk, Japan etc dismount to the right as well on a regular bike. I've been in the UK but never noticed anything different/amiss. The side stands would still be on the left, ?Right?

9Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:15 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I've seen three of these trike add on kits in the last 12 months on a Hardley a Goldwing and a Triumph. A mate also spotted one on a K100. https://www.bing.com/ck/a? Not sure if that was the brand I spotted and also not sure how they would handle?
Regards Martin.
Ah - I'd forget it. That kit produces what we call a T-tail in the UK. It's slightly more comfortable than a hardtail, but consider hitting a largish ridge in the road with only one side. Initially it will attempt to lift the whole backend of the trike, then the non-ridge side will drop and the uneven suspension forces will attempt to transmit the resulting twist to the handlebars (much like a hardtail will do). However, the twist puts a huge amount of stress on the frame and if it isn't designed properly, it will eventually crack the frame.

I see they illustrate the ad with a picture of a Goldwing. Says it all - the kit is really designed for the interstate. If that's where most of your riding is/will be, then the kit will do fine. If you're going to be on smaller, rougher, roads I'd be looking for independant rear suspension. The problem with an IRS setup is simply the cost - about twice the price of that kit. I'm still spitting feathers at missing a K100 trike complete with IRS for less than the cost of the IRS kit.

Just my 2/100ths of a dollar.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

10Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:28 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
jjefferies wrote: Is there any HowTo books out there?
Here's one. It has been languishing on my desktop for years. Maybe it'll give you an idea or two.

11Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:19 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I dismount to the left as the side stand is on that side and have always done it that way. It may be a carryover from horse riding. There is no law stating what side you can dismount on, it's up to the rider. However due to the road camber a RH mounted side stand would come in handy. K bikes can get a scary lean angle on their own without the added angle of road camber. I've got a mate who prefers to mount/dismount from the right, and looked at adding a RH side stand.
Regards Martin.

12Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:57 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I dismount to the left as the side stand is on that side and have always done it that way. It may be a carryover from horse riding. There is no law stating what side you can dismount on, it's up to the rider. However due to the road camber a RH mounted side stand would come in handy. K bikes can get a scary lean angle on their own without the added angle of road camber. I've got a mate who prefers to mount/dismount from the right, and looked at adding a RH side stand.
Regards Martin.
MartinW, makes sense. Just my ignorance showing.

Laitch, thanks so much for the PDF. I'll definitely be going thru it. Just returned from looking at a club mate's rig. He has a manual from ?DMC? that covers riding as well as setup. It was the first time I have actually "looked" at a  side car rig. I'm wondering if there is any standardization of things like the m/c mounting rig. His had a fairly extensive under the bike kit which if memory serves bolted up to the engine mounts in the front and to where the center/side stand mounts on a regular bike. And then the car bolted up to that rig. Took some photos but need to get them transferred.

best regards
J.Jefferies

13Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:09 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
An added advantage on mounting from the right is it allows you to draw your gun. Mounting from the left hinders your drawer. New Project 314318
Regards Martin.

14Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:14 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:An added advantage on mounting from the right is it allows you to draw your gun. Mounting from the left hinders your drawer. New Project 314318
Regards Martin.
I didn't think you guys down there were allowed to carry anymore.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

15Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:32 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
You can still get a pistol licence but you can't open carry. You have to either be in a pistol club or have a good reason to have one.
Regards Martin.

16Back to top Go down   New Project Empty New project Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:51 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I wouldn't dare mount a horse from the right. 

I'm left handed, mount from the left, shoot from the left, your right hand can do the steering and acceleration.

17Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:21 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Who in the Ukraine makes side car rigs? On Ebay I'm seeing a bunch offered for sale at quite cheap prices but USD $1290. shipping. Just wondering if the seller is Ukrainian or Russian.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=motorcycle+sidecar&_sacat=0

On a more practical note, there are some side cars at what looks like reasonable prices $2200. But with universal mounting kits. The seller does state BMW but not which model and I wonder how universal the kits are. Any thoughts or comments?

19Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:57 am

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:I don't know if a sidecar would be much of an improvement in lane splitting. New Project 161205
It would be indeed. 
But it's the sidecar who will decide when you split the line, not you.

20Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:24 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there,
Sidecars in the Ukraine might be a spin off of Dnjepr.
The sidecars made in India by Cozy or Inder etc are all quite ok if you want to use them for general purpose. For more serious use in regards to touring off road and crossing rough roads with holes and corrugations etc etc, you'll need something a little more robust.
K100s and all their derivatives do not have a full cradle frame, thereby necessitating the fabrication of a subframe to fit firstly onto the bike, which you can then bolt the sidecar to,.
Any kind of universal mounting kit will have to be modified to fit the subframe. This isn't a difficult job for someone with cutting and welding skills, and the kind of universal mounting kit you can get will do the job, once again for general use,.

Cheers
Sean

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc7NNjWO7nHEhMpErSDJ5Hw

21Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:32 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Saxon7 wrote:Hi there,
Sidecars in the Ukraine might be a spin off of Dnjepr.
The sidecars made in India by Cozy or Inder etc are all quite ok if you want to use them for general purpose. For more serious use in regards to touring off road and crossing rough roads with holes and corrugations etc etc, you'll need something a little more robust.
K100s and all their derivatives do not have a full cradle frame, thereby necessitating the fabrication of a subframe to fit firstly onto the bike, which you can then bolt the sidecar to,.
Any kind of universal mounting kit will have to be modified to fit the subframe. This isn't a difficult job for someone with cutting and welding skills, and the kind of universal mounting kit you can get will do the job, once again for general use,.

Cheers
Sean
Sean, Thanks for the info. that actually helps a lot. Regarding fabrication of a subframe for a K100, are there plans, kits or ready made out there already? One would think this is not a new issue. And if someone has already done it, why re-invent the wheel? And then there's the issue of the front wheel to be considered. Can the stock be upgraded or am I looking for a suitable Earles fork. Just trying to size up the project before I really commit or maybe I'm already ready to be committed.

22Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:58 am

Saxon7

Saxon7
Life time member
Life time member
Wasp in the UK makes sub-frames to fit K bikes. I believe Waz here on the forum had one sent to Australia awhile ago, so he would be the best bloke to talk to in that regard. The UK and Australia both fit the chair to the left side of the bike, so not sure if Wasp cater for the other side. ( Looks like you're in Canada?)

https://www.waspmotorcycles.com/on%20the%20road.html

No idea what the laws are for fitting sidecars to motorcycles in Canada are, but I'd imagine you'd have to have it inspected by an engineer etc. You could join a couple of sidecar forums around the place and make some enquiries? I don't know if Bert spends any time on here anymore, but he'd be an excellent contact in this regard. Someone somewhere in Canada can make one for you, given time and some financial outlay.

Cheers
Sean

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc7NNjWO7nHEhMpErSDJ5Hw

23Back to top Go down   New Project Empty Re: New Project Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:20 pm

Waz

Waz
Life time member
Life time member
Hello 
Yes I did import a Wasp subframe, it has connections both sides so can fit left or right side. Sidecar Paul fitted one over 30 years ago to K100 and as far as I know it’s still going, that was good enough for me to get one.

R1200GS
650 Vstrom

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum