BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:14 pm

gravelsandwich

gravelsandwich
Hi Everyone,
I embarked on replacing my gear shift indicator LCD, it works but the display is extremely faint. Rather than go to LED I prefer to keep the LCD screen and soon discovered the availability of a single digit seven segment display in the right proportions is non existent, however I did find some screens in 3 and 4 digit display with the correct digit size that are cheap and readily available.
I bought a 3 digit display and printed a mount to fit onto the board and into the cluster so only the center digit shows through the window. 
I wired it to the board but I can only get a zero to appear. Shifting through the gears it disappears in gear 4 and 5 and comes back on shifting down to 1st. There seems to be 5v at the board and drops slightly I assume when the segment is supposed to not display, I tried adding resistors to lower the voltage to about 3v(LCD operating range) but no luck and this is where my electronics ability have ended!
If somebody can add to this or maybe suggest something that would be great. 
http://forum.kforum-tech.com/members-upload/uploads/20221113_072640.pdf

http://forum.kforum-tech.com/members-upload/uploads/20221113_072738.pdf

2Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Re: Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:08 pm

gravelsandwich

gravelsandwich
With a bit of perseverance I've got it working at least partially. Its definitely a voltage issue, I used a mini buck converter between the board and the LCD screen and the segments connected work as their supposed to. I'll keep playing with resistors for now but at least buck converters although a bit bulky, I need 6, will work. 
 The printed mount is available on Thingiverse. Ill post more detail when I complete the project.

3Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Re: Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:38 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
the driver chip that operates the lcd has an onboard oscillator that generates the voltage and frequency  required for the lcd to operate , if perhaps the lcd display circuits were loaded with corrosion - leakage (extreemly hard to see with the naked eye ) it may have affected the output of the chip , also dont forget that the electrolytic capacitor closest to the chip could have leaked or dried out , now not letting the oscillator work to its full potential or just corroded power supply pins from the film circuit to the gear indicator board 

i have an indicator on my new to me RED  bike that is verry faint also 

it will have to wait a while , whilst i sort out other running drivetrain issues before i go inside there to sort out a few issues , like led used for charge indicator for alternator and a flakey odometer zero wind assembly not connecting to all gears , plus the lcd display ....perhaps one day soon ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Re: Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:31 am

gravelsandwich

gravelsandwich
Ok, after much fiddling about I've finally got the new gear LCD screen to work so it is possible. Turns out I didn't need resistors at all, just connect straight to the board (thanks Charlie!). 
I drilled .8mm holes through the board pads and soldered 2x4 90deg JST female pin headers directly to the board to keep the wires contained. Because of the angle I had to print a new board support piece to clear the JST pin headers. The printed LCD screen mound and the support piece are both on "Thingiverse" for anyone to download if you have access to a 3D printer. The screen came from AliExpress listed under "24pin 3 digit LCD" and cost about $6 delivered. It's non backlit.

JST 90deg pin headers. I would have preferred mini JST headers but these line up with the board pads.
Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen 20221217

Wires to the screen are hot glued in place. A little less glue would have been better as there isn't much clearance between the screen and the board.
Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen 20221216

Just enough clearance for the wires and glue. You can see the support piece angled down to clear the JST headers. You could use straight headers but I was worried It might interfere with the Tacho.
Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen 20221218

Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen 20221220

and here's the result.
Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen 20221219

5Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Re: Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:32 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Nice job!

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

6Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Re: Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:34 pm

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
well done, gravelsandwich

thanks for sharing and the detailed documentation

Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen 9438-010

7Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Re: Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:38 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great result , well done

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Re: Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:51 am

Porto

Porto
Silver member
Silver member
That's great, thanks. I want to do mine now

https://gpleather.com

9Back to top Go down   Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Empty Re: Gear Shift Indicator LCD Screen Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:14 pm

Andhop72

Andhop72
Very cool.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum