BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Starter Motor Greasing Empty Starter Motor Greasing Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:18 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Let's be polite and say that I have inherited two starter motors p/n 459 007. Now I don't really need a new one at the moment but I have checked them out against future needs. One spins up fairly smoothly and until something else happens I'm going to leave it alone until needed. The other turned over reluctantly so I took it apart, found some corrosion, cleaned the same. The earth side brush is gunked up and shorter than the positive pole brush. So I cleaned it and all the parts and put in a box until I can determine if I need it badly enough to warrant buying needed parts. Probably between $$50 USD.

But in the mean time how can I lube the two bearings? Is there a magical way other than smearing some grease into them? Suggestions as always appreciated.

best regards
J.Jefferies

2Back to top Go down   Starter Motor Greasing Empty Re: Starter Motor Greasing Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:23 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I don't recall ever taking a starter motor apart, but my modus operandi for open bearings is to flush them out with brake cleaner (or whatever your favourite tipple may be), check for undue play and repack with LM3 grease or similar by use of the squashing thumb (and finger).

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Starter Motor Greasing Empty Re: Starter Motor Greasing Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:37 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Those starter bearings are usually just plain bronze bushings that don't need any lubrication.  Grease just holds dirt and wears the bearing.  A dry lubricant like powdered graphite or molybdenum used sparingly is probably the best way to go if you really fell the need.  It's not like the motor runs more than a couple dozen revolutions each time the engine is started.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

4Back to top Go down   Starter Motor Greasing Empty Re: Starter Motor Greasing Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:22 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Those starter bearings are usually just plain bronze bushings that don't need any lubrication.  Grease just holds dirt and wears the bearing.  A dry lubricant like powdered graphite or molybdenum used sparingly is probably the best way to go if you really fell the need.  It's not like the motor runs more than a couple dozen revolutions each time the engine is started.
Not sure about the rear one. It may be bronze but the front bearing is ball bearings in a cage and I would suppose greased.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum