BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
1985 K100RS. Gluing mirror pods together again. W985w210

This is a spare set that was given to me. They were already mostly detached, so it didn’t take much persuasion to pop them apart, save for one which had some epoxy of sorts in a corner which needed slicing through.

I am going to prep them for painting and then drop them off at the painter when I pick up my K1100RS body-work. 

It would actually be really easy to drill several small holes (2 top and bottom and 1 on the outer end should suffice) and then use machine screws to reassemble it, as all the nuts would be hidden from view behind the mirror. I think I could get the nuts positioned far enough behind the mirror so that mirror movement isn’t restricted. I’m not convinced that I would like the look, however.

If I did glue them back together (which I would do prior to painting), what type of glue/adhesive should I use?

Thanks,
Tom

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I use a very thin bead of 5 minute epoxy to glue mirror bodies back together with some rubber bands around them to hold them together while the epoxy cures.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I've successfully used both EvoStik/Bostik (impact adhesives) and gorilla glue in the past. Again, with rubber bands to hold the two halves together while the glue dried.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks, guys. Sounds like the pods will be permanently attached with those adhesives.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I have used the super thin (cyano-acrylic)CA glue that I get at the hobby shop where the guys who build model airplanes go. 

The mirror pods are molded with an acrylic/styrene alloy that works very nicely with CA.  You will get a permanent weld between the pieces. 

The only prep is to sand off the paint where the bond is going to be.  Use the capillary tubes and "Zip Kicker" that is sold along side the CA glue. 

With the mirror side facing down on the bench, hold the parts together and put tiny drops of glue on the seam every inch or so.  The glue will flow into the joint between the parts.  Shoot with the catalyst, clean up the parts with a little Dawn detergent and warm water and you're done.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

RS Rider