BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Missing until engine warms up Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:43 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
1987 K100RT with a gazillion miles
I’m experiencing a very minor - but consistent - missing until the engine is completely warmed up (usually 10 miles or so) at which time the missing goes away.

I want to stress the missing is very real - I can feel it in my right hand grip - but the missing is not as pronounced as if I pulled a plug wire. 

I am ready to start troubleshooting but by the time I am back to the garage (more than 10 miles), the missing has disappeared. As long as the bike is warmed up, the missing does not rear its head.

The bike starts and idles without issue (although I believe a “minor” miss may be difficult to detect at idle.

Miss is more difficult to detect under hard acceleration (before engine is fully warmed up) than it is at steady speed.

This is a new thing in my life. I considered an injector not performing up to spec (but not plugged) so I am running a tankful of Chevron to see if their Tektron will clean out any semi-plugged injector.

Ideas, suggestions, hints, etc. are appreciated.
Dave

2Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:32 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
First thing, check carefully for air leaks, especially the Z tube.  Possibly one of the caps on the throttle body vacuum ports.

A small leak will make the mixture a little too lean when the engine is cold, but let it run better when it warms up and can run on a leaner mix.

Last edited by Point-Seven-five on Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:47 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
How did you resolve that knock that was happening back in March, Dave? You ghosted that thread. Laughing

4Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:42 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
I had an Audi coupe with plenty of miles - exact same symptoms - just a very slight misfire on tickover, nothing under load.
Worn valve guide was the problem - on a compression test you could see the faulty cylinder 'missing' as the valve occasionally failed to seat and the needle 'missed' a flick.
Hope it's not that, but just something to consider.

5Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:24 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
No apparent air leak - sprayed stater fluid around the various tubes, hoses, connections and sealed vacuum ports with no change in RPM.

Spark plugs look good (and they were replaced 200 miles ago), verified valves were within spec, and I did a compression test (170-180-175-170).

Next step? Hey, maybe ‘next step’ is to wait and see if a tank of Tektron makes a difference.

Dave

6Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:28 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
Laitch wrote:How did you resolve that knock that was happening back in March, Dave? You ghosted that thread. Laughing
I did not intentionally circle back on this knocking post. The knocking may have been just the dreaded output shaft - in which case I have decided to just turn down my hearing aids until the bike warms up.

7Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:03 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
One thing I noticed was one of the spark plugs had a 1K Ohms resistance. The other three plugs had zero resistance. The plugs were very recently replaced (as a set). I am not sure if this resistance would cause a problem, but nevertheless replaced the plug.

8Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:44 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
Ah, another case of self-inflicted pain. If someone would just take my tools away from me, I believe my problems would disappear.

The problem was the timing was off. About a month ago I had an occation to remove the timing chain (another story for another time) and when reinstalling the chain I was very focus in insuring the cam gears were perfectly aligned with the case markings. What I was not so focused on is keeping the engine at TDC when aligning these two gears. In retracing my prior work, the cam gears (which were still in perfect tandem with each other) were off maybe two teeth when the engine was brought back to TDC. Correcting this “minor” oversight, resolved the missing notion. Problem resolved.

All was not lost, I did replace the little 3W bulb in the fuel gauge.

As always, thanks for everyone’s help.
Dave

9Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:37 am

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
with a gazillion miles ............ how many has the motor done if you know 

10Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:50 am

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
A gazillion is somewhere between 230,000 and 240,000 miles. I’ve had it since 2003 when it had 86,000 miles on the clock. I keep changing the oil and it continues to go down the road. Can’t say for sure on the mileage since I have had the speedo gears replaced twice and there was a couple of years where the odometer wasn’t odometering.

11Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:31 pm

firstle

firstle
Life time member
Life time member
it may just be getting a little worn even for a k100  Crying or Very sad

12Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:53 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
Yes, I agree.  I keep taking her temperature (compression, leak down test, etc.) to give me an idea how the old girl is doing. So far, so good.

13Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:21 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
davemadsen wrote: Ah, another case of self-inflicted pain. . .  .I keep taking her temperature (compression, leak down test, etc.) to give me an idea how the old girl is doing.
Could this in fact be a rare case of MMSBP? Laughing

14Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:45 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
MMSBP? 

15Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:10 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Motorrad Munchausen Syndrome by proxy. Smile

16Back to top Go down   Missing until engine warms up Empty Re: Missing until engine warms up Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:03 pm

davemadsen

davemadsen
Silver member
Silver member
Never!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum