BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Need help, lost key  Empty Need help, lost key Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:15 am

acort

acort
Hello, 
Today marks the day I have completed building my K100.
As I go to start it for the first time, I cannot find the key. I’ve turned my house and everywhere else upside down and it’s no where to be found. 

Very upset about it. 

What are my solutions here? 

I would really prefer to not drill out the ignition like some forums say. 

2 locksmiths locally have said they cannot work on Motorcycles.

2Back to top Go down   Need help, lost key  Empty Re: Need help, lost key Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:05 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Well, (2) is a total load of bollocks. A small key is a small key is a small key etc. unless it's a high-security key (which this is not). It is just the ignition key you are missing and not the fuel tank key as well? If you can't get the problem solved in the USA I have a spare lock here that I'll be willing to ship over.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Need help, lost key  Empty Re: Need help, lost key Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:43 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Keep looking…the key will be in a safe place, hidden in plain sight.

I just spent nearly an hour looking for my car keys on Monday (to get the tyre compressor out of the car to check my K100 tyres before a quick 230 mile commute)…searched high and low, knew for certain that I had them Saturday morning, so they couldn’t have gone far! 

Checked all the obvious places, then the less obvious…garden bar, fridge, freezer, wash basket, every coat pocket I could find, washing machine, wardrobes, every drawer in every room, under sofa, down side of seat cushions, outside around and in refuse, recycling and garden waste bins…nothing! Checked it all again…growing dread that I’d left them out front somewhere and some nefarious passer by had nabbed them and was biding their time before striking (house key being on the same key ring as the car key).

Checked a third time…wtf! The keys were in the tiny telephone table drawer where I normally put them…I have no idea how I didn’t see them the first 2 times I looked! 

As a point of clarification, for young and old alike:

• the car ‘key’  is not actually a key…it’s one of those more expensive wireless fob things. Its function of unlocking doors and enabling ignition is the same though
  • The ‘telephone table’ does not table a telephone anymore…landlines and plugged in telephones are a thing of the past. A mobile phone (cell phone) is far more convenient and does not require said table for it to live on, generally preferring a warm pocket

Have a beer/coffee/tea/beverage of your choice and look again. Your keys will be in a really obvious ‘safe’ place. Good luck. If not, as Dai says it’s not just the ignition…fuel cap and pannier locks all likely to be affected.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

4Back to top Go down   Need help, lost key  Empty Re: Need help, lost key Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:52 am

moriarti

moriarti
Life time member
Life time member
Fortunately being in USA BMW main dealerships can obtain a replacement key within a few days when you provide VIN No and proof of ownership  Very Happy Very Happy

5Back to top Go down   Need help, lost key  Empty Re: Need help, lost key Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:08 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
moriarti wrote:Fortunately being in USA BMW main dealerships can obtain a replacement key within a few days when you provide VIN No and proof of ownership  Very Happy Very Happy
I'm not certain BMWNA has maintained this service for the single-sided keys of Airheads and early K bikes to this date.

"Some days I soar like an eagle, other days I put my keys in the fridge."

Moved post from General Discussion to Parts Needed.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

6Back to top Go down   Need help, lost key  Empty Re: Need help, lost key Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:56 am

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:"Some days I soar like an eagle, other days I put my keys in the fridge."

For me, it's more like:
Some days, I vividly remember the time when I soared like an eagle. Blissful memories.
Some other days I spend hours looking for things I've only just had the day before. Crying or Very sad

BTT:
I've had my spare ignition key made by the little shop around the corner for a very modest sum. About a tenner.

Maybe you don't tell them it is a key for a motorcycle?
Maybe it is the key to the room in the attic where the mother in law sleeps when she comes to visit?
Be creative and never give up!
Good luck!

Need help, lost key  9438-010

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum