BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Final drive - taper roller bearing Empty Final drive - taper roller bearing Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:24 am

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
Hi, I wanted to ask if the race of this tapered roller bearing should slightly move on the pin marked in red? There's no play, but I noticed that when there's oil, the race rotates slightly along with the bearing. The service manual doesn't mention anything about gluing the bearing to this pin. Neither on the bearing race nor on the pin are there any signs of wear (threshold). What do you think?

Final drive - taper roller bearing Final_12

http://tchorzewski.net

Jordan53

Jordan53
I can't think of anything good about the bearing inner race being moveable on the shaft.
At least it should be easy to stop that.

VIN: xxx0149621

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
No, it shouldn't move. I had to use a bearing puller to remove that bearing when I last overhauled a rear drive. I'd get a new bearing and if it still moves, glue it to the shaft using a high-strength bearing sealant. The older Tonti-framed Moto Guzzis have a similar problem with the drive shaft support bearing - the inner race not supposed to rotate on the universal joint but you won't find one that doesn't.

DO NOT buy a cheap no-name Chinese bearing. Buy a Timken or SKF or similar.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
The bearing is 25 x 52 x 16.25mm, OEM BMW part number 33 12 1 451 188, but the 'universal' bearing number is 30205. 'J2/Q' might also be a part of the number in some bearing shops.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

jbt

jbt
Life time member
Life time member
LifeGuard wrote: Final drive - taper roller bearing Final_12
[/size]
By the way, if this is your final drive, I would not bother to change bearings according to the scars of a broken tooth it shows...I'd change the whole crown.
Once the crown is broken, even if you remove the pieces, it will crack again, and the missing pieces will unbalance it, quickly destroying the new bearings.

6Back to top Go down   Final drive - taper roller bearing Empty Re: Final drive - taper roller bearing Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:31 am

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
jbt wrote:
LifeGuard wrote: Final drive - taper roller bearing Final_12
[/size]
By the way, if this is your final drive, I would not bother to change bearings according to the scars of a broken tooth it shows...I'd change the whole crown.
Once the crown is broken, even if you remove the pieces, it will crack again, and the missing pieces will unbalance it, quickly destroying the new bearings.
Crown is in perfect condition, these marks on the gear are reflections from oil residues  Final drive - taper roller bearing 112350

7Back to top Go down   Final drive - taper roller bearing Empty Re: Final drive - taper roller bearing Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:32 am

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
Two Wheels Better wrote:The bearing is 25 x 52 x 16.25mm, OEM BMW part number 33 12 1 451 188, but the 'universal' bearing number is 30205. 'J2/Q' might also be a part of the number in some bearing shops.
I just ordered a new bearing from SKF, we'll see if that changes the situation

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Find a suitable place in the fridge for several hours for the final drive, let it cool down well, then warm up the new bearing's inner race with your wife's hair dryer. She might not mind, but if a question arises, remind her that it's for your health and safety.
Embarassed

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Jordan53

Jordan53
Why not add a smear of Loctite?

VIN: xxx0149621

10Back to top Go down   Final drive - taper roller bearing Empty Re: Final drive - taper roller bearing Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:22 pm

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
Jordan53 wrote:Why not add a smear of Loctite?
I will seal it with Loctite 603. I just wanted to make sure that maybe it didn't rotate originally and, for example, it didn't block under the load of the wheel and the weight of the motorcycle. By the way, I ordered a new bearing according to the marking on it, maybe the new one will have a tight fit.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum