BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 04:03

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
My engine is idling at 2000rpm. After I put a new fuel pressure regulator on and mended a leaky crankcase breather hose, the idle speed has risen. How do I reduce the idle speed? A correct procedure would be appreciated. Am also loosing a little coolant, but I'm not sure where its from. Can't spot an obvious leak anywhere, but, i can spot a small leak from the bottom of the engine, but thats not where the leak appears to be (if you get me)??

2Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 04:12

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
boog ...ther is a drain hole between the oil pump and the water pump
(which are housed in the same mechanism....that blob at the lower front of the motor ...behind the front wheel)

look closely at the bottom of it and you might find a hole that is the drain hole ..

basically its a sign that the water seal on the pump mech has a leak ...there are lots of posts about doing it up, in here

the idling high ......could be someone has adjusted the idle speed ....choke lever cable and is holding the throttle bodies more open than normal ......many wiser ..(bows to the imortal gods of wisdom ) will have a correct process for the setting proceedure ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Idle speed/coolant loss Fri Apr 15 2011, 05:00

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Thanks for that! Just re-built the water/oil pump so its not an issue down there; that was my first look! Can't quite spot the prob.
As far as idle speed goes, am reading up as we speak!

4Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 05:24

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Re idle speed - air leaks can result in a higher idle, but first the simple things:
if you lift the throttle where the throttle cable is attached to the linkage, does it snap shut when you release it?
Does the throttle return easily to its closed position.
Has anything been adjusted or changed recently? The TPS could hold it open, the jubilee clip on the stub of the last cylinder could prevent the rack from closing, the idle set screw could have worked loose and keep the rail open......
Tell us more :-)

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Idle speed. Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

5Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 05:43

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
If you were in behind the airbox to replace the pressure regulator, it's possible that you've slightly dislodged the throttle cable. There is a support bracket near the regulator into which the outer sleave of the throttle cable sits. If that was dislodged, then the throttle cam will be slightly rotated even with the throttle closed. An indicator should be that the throttle feels slack (some free rotation before the cable is taken up)

6Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 07:45

BooG

BooG
Platinum member
Platinum member
Well...if i push down on the now fully outscrewed idle adjuster screw, then idle drops to below 1000rpm...so something is preventing it from sitting fully back into position! Blimey!!!!

7Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 09:11

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, as Robmark said something was disturbed during the pressure regulator job, check all the TB links, trottle and choke for interferences, also check the TPS set.
Best regards
JAP

8Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 13:22

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I had the same one time. The TPS has a limited angle of operation, it could be stopped by the TPS which does not allow the rack to return to closed position. Remove it and see what the rack does.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Idle speed. Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

9Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 13:34

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
brilliant idea rene

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Fri Apr 15 2011, 21:22

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I had one that led me on a merry chase, it turned out to be the liner of the throttle cable had come lose and was holding the throttle open by sitting the cable up on the outer rim of the cable barrel (the thing with a groove that the inner fits in) and as a result the was holding the throttle open a tiny bit.
It was moving up and down the inner as the throttle was worked and when I went to look for it wasn't happening.
It certainly got the heart rate up when it held open going into a corner and relying on the engine braking which suddenly was not there. Fun Fun Fun

11Back to top Go down   Idle speed. Empty Re: Idle speed. Sat Apr 16 2011, 03:17

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
eeeeeek......

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum