BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   side stand bush Empty side stand bush Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:31 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hey guys .....i finally got a new sidestand bolt and bush .

im a little disapointed with the loose fit between the bolt and the bush . is this normal ?

my old bolt was just an ill fitting threaded section (no shank = plain metal ) on it at all and had quite a bit of movement so i thought replacement would be good option .
but alas it isnt soo good after all , i seem to have about 1/2 a mill gap between the 2 items allowing for a quite a good deal of movement on the bolt/bush axis.
i think im going to have to get an engineering shop to turn a new bush up . or is there a "correct bolt" available without so much lateral movement in the bush .

the one i have looks the correct part , with the tapered section for the spring retaining bracket .
or am i going about this the wrong way ?

is it the retension arm bracket that i should be modifing to eliminate the movement of the sidestand when it takes load ?

2Back to top Go down   side stand bush Empty Re: side stand bush Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:41 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
with you on this, BM really have a bum design here, but it could be due to the clutch release arm mechanism that they allowed so much play between the bolt, bush.
I used a blowlamp to bend some of the metal bits for a better fit,but cannot do much about the bolt, it did help some??

3Back to top Go down   side stand bush Empty Re: side stand bush Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:54 am

whhoon

whhoon
good morning gentlemen:
not sure exactlly which models you are talking about but i have an early 85 , no clutch release i noticed my inner bushing was thicker than the sidestand so i cut a shim to fit around the bush. that took up a lot of slop in actual stand play. hope this gives you another option.

4Back to top Go down   side stand bush Empty Re: side stand bush Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:37 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks whhoon yes it answers another option of "what to do "

i was hoping to find out if i was experiencing something "normal" before i take action , or if there was a better part .

it just seems to me that having loose tolerances , more than i would expect, promotes more wear of the parts involved , especially the bending of the side stand that seeems to be prevalent .

it looks to me as if the stand "takes up load" on a two stage process and i want to eliminate that if possible .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   side stand bush Empty Re: side stand bush Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:45 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I doubt it that the side stand bends. I thought the same and jumped at the occasion to buy a new one, only to find out that they come with a bend/knick originally. So much for that.......
There is indeed a lot of clearance, but its a part open in all kinds of wet and dirt. Maybe it is to prevent it ceases up? The later ones were fitted with an additional ring with a grease nipple.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland side stand bush Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

6Back to top Go down   side stand bush Empty Re: side stand bush Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:06 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
oh !!? cool stuff rene... thanks for the additional information .

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   side stand bush Empty Re: side stand bush Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:08 pm

whhoon

whhoon
well upon a little further thinking, the bolt pinches the bushing between
the two ears. so there is not supposed to be movement between bolt and bushing as long as bolt is tight

8Back to top Go down   side stand bush Empty Re: side stand bush Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:20 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ah !!! an excellent observation whhoon .....good thinking mate .

i think the mystey is solved .

so the bush sets the gap between the two "ears" and the bolt is the tensioning device .
i can see a slightly modified bush thickness comming up , or the shim picked appropriatly and installed .

thanks guys, i think this puts my worries to rest..

installed new bolt and bush ......whilst it is a better fit ...there is still a fair bit of movement ....so the shim idea is next on the list

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum