BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Disable throttle position switch Empty Disable throttle position switch Thu May 05, 2011 11:18 am

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
I've been riding my 85 K100 a bit and its really jerky on and off the throttle at the 2k window that the TPS switch controls. Which way do you turn the switch to disable the fuel cut off portion? CCW it seems , is this correct?

2Back to top Go down   Disable throttle position switch Empty Re: Disable throttle position switch Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
CCW it seems , is this correct?

Yes. It makes a massive difference, the bike is much smoother when slowing down and accelerating again above 2000 revs. You end up using the brakes more, as you loose some of the engine braking, but thats easy to live with. Cool

3Back to top Go down   Disable throttle position switch Empty Re: Disable throttle position switch Thu May 05, 2011 12:10 pm

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
Thank you for your prompt reply.

4Back to top Go down   Disable throttle position switch Empty Re: Disable throttle position switch Thu May 05, 2011 8:13 pm

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
Does rotating the TPS just stop the closed position switch from making contact? I assume that switch causes the fuel cut off.
What does this change at the full throttle side?

5Back to top Go down   Disable throttle position switch Empty Re: Disable throttle position switch Thu May 05, 2011 9:10 pm

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
If you move the TPS anticlockwise you are moving it away from the throttle so it will not increase idle speed. Turning it clockwise however moves it against the throttle, causing it to open slightly.
At full throttle I don't think it matters very much if the throttle hits the switch slightly early, after all how much time do you spend at full throttle on the road?

6Back to top Go down   Disable throttle position switch Empty Re: Disable throttle position switch Sun May 08, 2011 4:21 am

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
Went for a ride with it disconnected on mine today. Much nicer to ride around town. I will connect it again and adjust to disable to bottom end switch.

Well worth doing.

7Back to top Go down   Disable throttle position switch Empty Re: Disable throttle position switch Mon May 09, 2011 8:24 am

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
I set mine to the the full CCW position and road the bike around the neighborhood and it's a different motorcycle. I am going to leave it disabled on the fuel shut off end of it's travel. A much nicer ride at low speeds.

8Back to top Go down   Disable throttle position switch Empty Re: Disable throttle position switch Mon May 09, 2011 9:05 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
The TPS has a few functions in combination with the ECU.
In closed position it results in some fuel enrichment during starting.
When closed during riding it results in the injection being stopped when the engine is above about 2000 rpm, to start again when it drops below. This results in strongly braking on the engines compression without the 'bangs' out of the exhaust.
In the full open position it results in some full enrichment again to get the bike up to speed faster.
Disconnecting it won't accommodate the above, but might give a smoother ride, particularly when you normally don't rev her too much.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Disable throttle position switch Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum