BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Introduction - Greetings Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:46 pm

vicmac

Hi all in the forum. NewBorn rider from Sunny Bognor.
I am glad I found this forum with so much wealth of information.
Acquired K100 basic on January 2011. Stood garaged for a while.Introduction - Greetings 78846[/url] Read the manual and believing it has not oil, poured almost two pints. I was measuring the level with the J spanner! Later I realised that the spanner was for the gear box oil level!!
I have done almost 200 miles and still reliable as ever. What are the consequences of my oversight?

2Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi vicmac. Welcome to the forum.
Its possible that you could blow an oil seal through overfilling. I assume that you now know the correct method of checking the oil level?
It depends if it was low to start with, but I would be inclined to give it an oil and filter change anyway if it was sitting for a while. Its very straight forward to do on a K.
If you are doing a bit of servicing, don't forget to change the fuel filter that lives in the tank. A blocked fuel filter was the cause of my only breakdown.
If you haven't done it already, download the Haynes manual in the Downloads section of the forum. It can be quite useful.
Enjoy your K. It will grow on you.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

3Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Welcome to the forum vicmac.

As for having an extra 2 pints in the sump I don't think that it would cause any problems in the short term but I would certainly do a change and service before you do any more miles or you will start finding leaks.
I would do a complete change of fluids including brakes just to be on the safe side.

good riding

4Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome vicmac. Have fun on here. Lots of great info and very helpful people. :-)

5Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:42 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hi vicmac, K Freaks' right, start with a complete change of fluids and go from there.

If anything weird turns up and you need help, just ask.

Last edited by blakey on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:02 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum Wink

http://www.its-personal.net

7Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:45 pm

vicmac

Very Happy Thanks for responses. I am definitely changing engine oil this weekend. And I now know where to pour what. My other half admonished me when I told the mistake. Looking at the glass circle it looks rather black with not sight of oil level. I read that it is possible to change using a long screwdriver, poking it from underneath. I'll explore that possibility. Has anyone done that? Is it glass or acrylic?

8Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:55 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi vicmar
you are not alone. I did the same thing and eventually drained 6 litres out of the sump. What an idiot. I hadn't travelled far as I was laying a smog screen out behind me. If you were not laying a white
fog out, things are probably ok inside. I just ordered a new sight glass from Motobins in your fine country, and the lads here tell me thaye have just changed it to a glass one. I'm betting I get old stock just for being a convict.
Welcome mate, plenty more mistakes to make, so read everything you can on the forum.
RT

9Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome vicmac ....have fun

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:00 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I bet once you drain the oil, the sight glass will not be black anymore. Ask me how I know...

11Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:00 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi vicmac welcome to the forum mate.

BIG D

12Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:22 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi vicmac,
Good to have you on board and look forward to hearing about your adventures. Drain the oil out and check the sight glass as above I suspect it will clear up a lot.
Worth changing all fluids and all filters plus clean and treat all electrical connections with DeoxIT so they function perfectly, our bikes are getting old and oxidation takes its toll on connections.
Regards,
K-BIKE

13Back to top Go down   Introduction - Greetings Empty Re: Introduction - Greetings Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm

vicmac

thanks all for kind advice. the latest mistake: reversing car into drive pushed bike forward off centre stand, fell against wall breaking indicator and shield screen. my neighbor was watching. oh poor brick. i will put her back on track. any one has got a screen (uk)? before the incident i was told that the bike was good looking. from a lady passerby. i think so!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum