BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   speedo and rev counter  Empty speedo and rev counter Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:09 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Hi everybody, bike had its first start since doing a service and exhaust change on it... but i've noticed while the bike is on the centre stand both the speedo and the rev counter move. The more throttle applied the more the speedo moves along with the rev counter. Any initail ideas on the cause?

2Back to top Go down   speedo and rev counter  Empty Re: speedo and rev counter Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Based on the situation you've described, the bike is in gear with the engine running whilst it's on the centre stand. You would almost certainly be aware of that though, so I could be wrong. The speedo shouldn't operate without a signal from the transducer that it's rotationally underway on the final drive at the back wheel.

3Back to top Go down   speedo and rev counter  Empty Re: speedo and rev counter Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
yeah the speedo gets its signal from a sensor on the rear drive and so will react to revs when on the centre stand. even if not in gear the rear wheel will turn due to the oil drag in the gearbox moving the output shaft especially if the oil is cold. the sensor is just above the filler plug on the rear drive.

4Back to top Go down   speedo and rev counter  Empty Re: speedo and rev counter Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:29 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Spot on guys, I didn't realise that the wire on the final drive was to do with the speedo. I put bike on floor and retested just now - no movement of speedo, put bike on centre stand and just very slowly the wheel started to turn, which moved the speedo, the more revs the more the wheel moved. Obvious today but after working on her most of yesterday i couldn't work it out 😕 ..Tired and Stupid Moment (TSM)

Cheers.. ....saved me a lot of spannering for no reason

5Back to top Go down   speedo and rev counter  Empty Re: speedo and rev counter Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
captaink wrote:Spot on guys, I didn't realise that the wire on the final drive was to do with the speedo. I put bike on floor and retested just now - no movement of speedo, put bike on centre stand and just very slowly the wheel started to turn, which moved the speedo, the more revs the more the wheel moved. Obvious today but after working on her most of yesterday i couldn't work it out 😕 ..Tired and Stupid Moment (TSM)

Cheers.. ....saved me a lot of spannering for no reason

We all have those I call them senior moments but TSM sounds far more technical.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum