BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Are Parts of Main Fairing Missing? Empty Are Parts of Main Fairing Missing? Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:39 pm

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
I'm curious if I am missing some fairing pieces on my bike. If you look at the photo, on the underside of the main fairing, there are holes drilled in the area surrounding the fork tubes that lead me to believe something should be there...but I don't know what, if anything. Is it possible that something has been removed to give better air flow up to the rider?
Thanks
Are Parts of Main Fairing Missing? Sam_0412

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
This is for gaiters, on erlier fairing models. I think they was removed around -88-89.
And these parts you got was installed instead.

Inge K.

Last edited by Inge K. on Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update.)

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
there were originally fluid filled bellows that used to surround the fork legs and mate up to the fairing .

one of the modifications for heat issues was to remove them and add the little cups you see at the back of that hole, to add air flow to the internal fairing ....from what i have read .

removal of the fork gaitors to help the above mod was also recommended, but i see many bike with them still .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I had a good look through all the parts diagrams for my bike and worked out what i should have had on the bike, turned out i only had one piece missing and was able to order it through BMW

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx is the link that i use all the time

Are Parts of Main Fairing Missing? 169042Are Parts of Main Fairing Missing? 169034

g35corona

g35corona
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I'm happy that there is nothing missing. The link will be very useful for me to go through and see if I have everything.

;BMW;

ex:1986 K100 RT Vin #0091835

2012 R1200 GS

Different model, I know, but I still use the bellows or gaiters on my K-RS, even in Australia's version of hot - no cred required. I reckon it directs the air where it should go; through the radiator, alongside and round the engine, not up at me through the fairing. Of course, most of you RT/LT riders who haven't done heat-insulating mods under the tank, wrapping the fuel lines and behind the side fairing panels have another oven baking.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum