BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Empty I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:38 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I have a problem..I have oil leaking out from around No 2 injector!! I think I may have a ring problem? Compression test shows one bar less than the others.
Am i in for new rings?? I am open for suggestions. All other plugs and injectors are light grey and clean. just No 2. I have seen this once before when I first got teh bike and after replacing the injectors it went away for 2000 miles.
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. 4-ab4b10
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Darn10

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Can you give it a leak down test to find out how long it holds the pressure and you can often hear the air escaping at the same time.

It's a far better diagnostic test than compression alone.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I wouldn't expect rings to cause a leak around the injectors. It could be an inlet valve with a bit of blow back.

Try putting oil in the cylinder and do a compression test again, if pressure goes up then it is rings but if it stays the same it is valve or head gasget.

Have you checked the valve clearances?

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
does the bike blow smoke ?

alby looks to me like you might have a valve seal issue ...as the oil looks clean ...i would summize that oil is bleeding down the stem and then blowing back a little up the inlet valve aperture (and of corse into the cylinder) ...but definatly i dont think rings if there is only a miniscule amount difference in presures ...more likely that the valve seat /valve is gummed up .

the stem seal is easy to change ...but requires the removal of the cam shaft.... erk

i have read that you can undo the valve safely by filling rope into the cylinder and ever so softly raising the piston so that the cylinder / rope has presure on the valve so it doesnt drop in ...tricky stuff all the same ...but worth a try before pulling the head off .

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Charlie, Yes it is clean oil. the pressure stays the same i will just have to replace them. Off to sherlock and moto I suppose..

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:does the bike blow smoke ?

It's an early K. They all do!!

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
She only blows a smoke if on side stand or left on centre for a week or more..then only the classic puff on starting up. I am going to pull the head and have a look. best to replace the vale seals and forget for rest of time!

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
@ charlie instead of rope
If the bore holds good pressure on leak down you can always pressurise the bore and change the valve seal as well , still a pain in ass getting the collets out whilst trying to compress the valve spring

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Make sure the piston is in top

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys. Learning more everyday. have day off and will look into this TODAY> have checked vale clearences and all .15 (pulled the three covers off for a sonic bath anyways Wink)

Last edited by Albyalbatross1 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot some info.)

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
To quote an expression from "Asterix" #%%@!!!**&^%%$$!!!!! Not good news for me. A picture worth a thousand words. I Think I may have a damaged rings.. 178468
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Crapp10

I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Crapp410
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Crapp310
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Crapp11
Thinking I might put her back together and make the ride and come home and buy another engine.....I had not noticed any grits or contaminates when cleaning sump and oil strainer. Must have been drained out before i got it.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
OhhEeee not good are the other journals ok I think I can see another.

Yuo could just linish the cam journal and make sure the head doesn't have any of the offending material and I would be happy to run that.

I have 2 almost complete engines which I got for nothing you are welcome to a head and cams if you want them.

I haven't pulled them of so I don't know what they are like but I will have a look if you want one.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
K freak, That would be great.Thank-you. All Journals are scored as well as the caps!! It is deep enough to catch your fingernail in.Same sad story on the exghaust as well. No sign of metal anywhere. Think I might have bought a dodgey up. We will be going to Karara saturday week to visit Nics parents. I might make a trip via stanthorpe on the saturday if its OK.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I will take both heads of in the next couple of days and check them out.

I also send PM with details.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
crikey alby ...!!!!

by the look of that.... i would be checking the main journals at the bottom end as well ...looks like somone refitted up with metal in the sump and its come through the oil lines huh ?

great news k freak .....

alby ...if your tossing the motor ....can i have a look at the output shaft ....wink

good luck guys

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I am almost done getting the engine out. Will have that done this evening. Going to be very Busy!!
Sorry Charlie.. Not tossing the engine,, Going to have a look see at the (GULP) Bottom end as well.

What size valve spring compressor are you all using?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Good news Alby the head I just pulled off is a real good one, good cams and heaps of meat on the valves but (isn't there always a But) the guy that gave them to me took the shims before I got them so you'll have to do that part over.

I will put some petrol in the ports to see if there are any leaks and if not I would just put it on as is and let the sleeping dog lie.

As for a valve spring compressor I use a genuine Kawasaki one that I have been using for 30 years. I bought it first time I pulled the Z900 apart to give it the treatment.

Last edited by K Freak on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info added + more icecream with the waffle)

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
That is good news. Thank you. Are you going to be home on saturday morning?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
PM sent Alby

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
K Freak, You are the Man. Thanks again. I Think I may have a damaged rings.. 212902I only have two shims to fit. Hope to get em tomorrow. Then I can set some timing and put it all back together. Head cleaned up fairly well. Broken injector bits came out in sonic bath. Forgot to take some pics untill after I torqued the bolts!!. It seems I get a lil obsessed when I start working on something. Hope the wrist is good.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmmm a good result alby ?

you better let us in on the old head stuff huh ?

k freaks a good bloke ......cheers

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"k freaks a good bloke"

+1

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
As soon as I am done with the head, I will let you all know what is left over.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Yay!! Replacement head is on! Put her all back together and pressed the starter....Cranking over, cranking over cranking over!!! What the!!! No frogs in there this time. Very Happy. Something does not look right....
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Dohh10
How did I forget that!!!! Once I put a brain me and the bike it starts and runns well. even quieter than before.

Here are a few pics of the head before cleaning and after. While had parts off, tidy up bits and fit new connectors ect.
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Replac10
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Replac11
I Think I may have a damaged rings.. Replac12

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow ....nice job alby!! ...looks a treat ...

time for a clutch spline lube as well ?

great to hear you got her going again mate ...i betcha its lots of work though .....congradulations

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Geez it sure cleaned up well. Think I will have to get one of those ultrasonic thingys.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Yes Charlie, All splines cleaned off and lubed a new...Yes a Whole Lot of Work.. But she will be naked for a week or two yet. Just to be sure!

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
All is good with the head replacement. If anyone wants some parts from my old one, you are down to valve springs ,buckets,Sprockets,valves, valve seats, ect. I just need a spring compression tool to get em out!! Journals and bearing seats are stuffed. if you want something just let me know. Free stuff. come get or I can come meet, or post!.

I have a valve spring compression tool you can borrow.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum