BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hi all,

With the 1984 K100RS all done, I've taken the plunge and bought a 1986 K100RT (ex-police bike), which I'm slowly bringing back to life.

That said, I spent yesterday stripping the bike entirely (back to two wheels, driveline and frame at this point), and as part of this overhaul I'm naturally going to refresh all the fluids and replace wear items like fuel and oil filtres.

When trying to remove the cover for the oil filtre, I got two of the three screws out, but the last one has been stripped by the previous owner.

Any thoughts on the best way to remove this stubborn bugger?

Cheers, Alex.

P.S. I've already tried vice grips, lock grips, chisel and hammer etc.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Have you tried to add some heat? Aluminium expands more than steel.

Inge K.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Use a 1/4 in drill and drill the head of then you will be able to get at the bolt to remove it.

Taking the sump of first will make the job east as you can do it on the bench. About 12 screws and it comes of without any hassle, no springs or balls. Yep just like the cover you are trying to get of.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
Try hammering a larger Torx (star) socket into it. The splines of the socket cut into the bolt head and give a better grip than the hex key. I have shifted several bolts this way when I have found the Allen key starting to strip the top of the bolt.

5Back to top Go down   The best way to remove a stripped oil filler screw? Empty Sounds promising! Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Avenger GT wrote:Try hammering a larger Torx (star) socket into it. The splines of the socket cut into the bolt head and give a better grip than the hex key. I have shifted several bolts this way when I have found the Allen key starting to strip the top of the bolt.

Big hammer. I like your thinking!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Be careful about using too much force you may just need to get a bigger hammer

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   The best way to remove a stripped oil filler screw? Empty Taking it easy. Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:15 pm

K Freak wrote:Be careful about using too much force you may just need to get a bigger hammer

I'll start off with a 2KG dead blow and work my way up to Thor's hammer.

A small selection of spiral Ezy-outs live in my toolbox. Drill a small hole in the centre of the stubborn bolt and screw the Ezy-out in with a socket, as it turns in its reverse threads bite in and (usually) back the bolt out. If they don't I get out the whiskey, chewing gum, blow torch and then the bazooka, but not necessarily in that order.

The best way to remove a stripped oil filler screw? Ezyout10

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds like you've got to the drill stage alex ..im guessing just the head is the problem

but i like the sound of undoing the oil pan first ...the best .....

good luck mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum