BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Deep breath..........fluid thread Empty Deep breath..........fluid thread Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:53 am

rusjel

O.k folks, it may be my male pattern blindness, but I don't see a general maintenance thread with this info.

I'm going to change all the fluids in my newly aquired brick: Engine, transmission and final drive oil and cooling system.

It is not my intention to start an oil thread, I know how those go and they get boring and irritating pretty quickly.

But if there are widely agreed fluids for these beasties I'm happy to accept recommendations or to get redirected to the thread that already covers all this stuff that I've missed even though it was staring me in the face Embarassed

Cheers. Russell

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
try here rus

http://www.verrill.com/moto/newkbike.shtml

its actully a link in the portal page

but some suggest occasionally putting some diesal oil through the engine every now and then ....helps to fee up and clean out all the deposits / vapours from those hard to get places ....starter motor idlers ...sprag clutch etc

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Two comments from Ted's page.
1. Dielectric grease. Use DeoxIT (spell it how ever you want, I've given up with this mob) instead.
2. The factory BMW air filter works best. There has been discussions that K&N filters don't filter as well as the factory ones.

My thoughts only.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

rusjel

This joint is a wealth of info. Cheers Charlie

Engine oil? It does not have to be 'motorbike specific'. Coolant? Any name-brand antifreeze/coolant that works around loads of aluminium. Brake fluid? DOT 4, not synthetic. Gear and final drive oil? Be sure it's rated GL5 and Hypoid and in your favourite viscosity for the temps in your neighbourhood and you'll be laughing. Sparkies? I use NGK's DPR8EA (resistor, projected tip, colder, won't touch the valves) instead of the usual D7EA or DR7EA because we live in a hot climate most of the year round. Air and fuel filters? Stock aftermarket or OEM (whichever is cheaper) paper air filter, aftermarket branded fuel filter from the boys at the 'Bins. K&N air filters are great because they last a long time and can be re-used, but that extra little bit of sand in the airbox (and your intake tract) ain't gunna be your long-term friend. Plus, they make no more power in a K100. Dyno runs have proven it.
Your results may vary.

6Back to top Go down   Deep breath..........fluid thread Empty Deep breath..........fluid thread Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:17 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Don't get me started !! Use the diesel engine oil (mineral 15W40) every now, don't worry about the every then, just use it and change it and the filter often. No starter sprag problems and she'll sing (whine) like she's 'sposed ta.

I'm on the now and then side, not because I don't want to use diesel oil all of the time, but because I enjoy being contrary. I use diesel oil every third or fourth oil & filter change when it's on sale and for its obvious sprag clutch & other internal engine bits cleaning benefit and ordinary petrol engine oil the rest of the time, viscosity dependent upon average air temperature and time of the year. The regimen for me is 10W40 or 15W40 in cool weather but 20W50 in the heat of our intense Summer.

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
DeoxIT. There Blakey, feel better now?

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
You're just teasing me.

I'm not going to be fooled by you lot making out that you know how to spell it correctly.

I'll wait and see...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

10Back to top Go down   Deep breath..........fluid thread Empty Re: Deep breath..........fluid thread Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:26 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
dEtoXtiT There ya are deel better now. It is a wonderful thing to be part of the illiterarty.Deep breath..........fluid thread 44271 Deep breath..........fluid thread 8157

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

11Back to top Go down   Deep breath..........fluid thread Empty Re: Deep breath..........fluid thread Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:06 am

rusjel

Actually I was thinking of using cheap and nasty ( insert Brand here) oil of a fairly thin viscosity for about 50ks then change again using the recommended oil seeing as how she's been sitting for a while.

But thanks for the guidance. One of the great things about buying an older, well built bike is that things like part and wiring diagrams are readily available and there is lots of experience around to keep the old girls alive!

12Back to top Go down   Deep breath..........fluid thread Empty Re: Deep breath..........fluid thread Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:08 am

"Seeing as how she's been sitting for a while" is the perfect reason to use a 'scrubbing' oil like diesel oil. Try Calibre brand from Super Cheap. You get a 5 litre jug for under $25 on sale, sometimes less.

13Back to top Go down   Deep breath..........fluid thread Empty Re: Deep breath..........fluid thread Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:35 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep got a bottle right here waiting to go in

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum