BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel Pick Up problem Empty Fuel Pick Up problem Sun 02 Oct 2011, 05:32

Sidecarjohn

I realise the problem of fuel pick on the K is fairly well known, but is there a realistic solution ?
When the tank still has over a gallon (5 litres) remaining, misfires occur usually when cornering fairly hard. OK we run an outfit, which will mean there's the effect of the bike not leaning, but the problem is a known issue regardless.
Any suggestions as to a viable solution, so that I can actually benefit from having a 20 litre fuel tank ?
Question

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk

2Back to top Go down   Fuel Pick Up problem Empty Re: Fuel Pick Up problem Sun 02 Oct 2011, 06:11

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
baffling.?? . . . . not confounding , i mean a inert material formed into a hoheycomb like configuration inserted with the hex tubes vertical to prevent the fuel sloshin ?

http://www.airware.com.au

3Back to top Go down   Fuel Pick Up problem Empty Re: Fuel Pick Up problem Sun 02 Oct 2011, 06:15

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Old farts like us shouldn't be going round corners fast John Ha Ha Ha!

Put a small pick up tank, with the pump in it, down lower on the chair and let the main tank drain into it. Kills two birds with a few extra litres.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Fuel Pick Up problem Empty Re: Fuel Pick Up problem Sun 02 Oct 2011, 06:31

Sidecarjohn

I'm basically looking for a solution that involves the existing hardware. Fitting extra tanks isn't currently part of the thinking. However, won't dismiss the idea of a pick up tank. How big and located where might help the decision ??

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk

5Back to top Go down   Fuel Pick Up problem Empty Re: Fuel Pick Up problem Sun 02 Oct 2011, 06:42

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Try to put a piece of fuel hose on the return that feeds back into the pump recess and check that your pump (not just the 'clamp') is seated as deep as possible.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Fuel Pick Up problem Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

6Back to top Go down   Fuel Pick Up problem Empty Re: Fuel Pick Up problem Mon 03 Oct 2011, 07:53

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
To expand a bit on ReneZ thought about the pump's position.
Make sure the pump is turned so that the fuel pick-up port on the base of the pump is as low in the tank as possible.
I found that, if you are pushing your luck on reserve, it can make a difference of an extra 10-15 miles. May help this problem.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

7Back to top Go down   Fuel Pick Up problem Empty Re: Fuel Pick Up problem Mon 03 Oct 2011, 14:21

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
There is something in the BMW info as to where the + and - of the pump contacts should be fitted in the white clamp that holds it in the tank, I think this is exactly for that reason

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Fuel Pick Up problem Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum