BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Whining noise after warm-up Empty Whining noise after warm-up Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:42 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Hi,

I was out on a ride with my neighbour this past Thanksgiving weekend. The weather was 25C and sunny so we went for a longish ride -- about 200+ km. Towards the end of the ride, I had about 1/2 tank of gas left. There was a whining noise coming from the tank region sounding like bees buzzing. I know that the fuel pump does whine somewhat and that it is cooled by the fuel but this got more pronounced as the ride went on and the fuel heated up. To confirm this, I stopped enough for the fuel to cool down. The noise was not evident.

Is this behaviour normal or is my pump on the way out and I should start saving for a new one? Could such a sound be a result of worn alternator bearings?

Cheers,
Robert.

2Back to top Go down   Whining noise after warm-up Empty Re: Whining noise after warm-up Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Last year on my nine week ride round Australia whenever the temperature rose above about 25c the fuel pump would whine. I forgot about it after a while. The other day it got to 29c and the fuel pump began its humming. It's normal, but mildly irritating.

Grab a large screwdriver and point the tip against the alternator, directly at the back (after removing the two small Allen head screws and the plastic vented cover) with your ear tight to the other end and give it a listen as the engine idles, then towards the front. You will hear noises but they generally won't sound much like a fuel pump's whine. Failing bearings usually growl.

3Back to top Go down   Whining noise after warm-up Empty Re: Whining noise after warm-up Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:02 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
You weren't by chance riding past some English Rugby fans were you?
RT

4Back to top Go down   Whining noise after warm-up Empty Re: Whining noise after warm-up Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
RT wrote:You weren't by chance riding past some English Rugby fans were you?
RT

Ah so cynicalWhining noise after warm-up 44271

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Whining noise after warm-up Empty Re: Whining noise after warm-up Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:37 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
I noticed my pump started 'singing' this morning. Air temp was 25deg c+. Tank was quite warm due to air temp and heat from engine. Filled it up with fuel, stopped until it warmed up again. Do you think its due to the fuel aerating  and has anyone had a pump fail due to it? What RPM is the pump running at? John

6Back to top Go down   Whining noise after warm-up Empty Re: Whining noise after warm-up Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:30 pm

pkay

pkay
I surprised nobody has said it's your other half complaining that you are going riding again....

Does it happen with the bike moving or stationery?

7Back to top Go down   Whining noise after warm-up Empty Re: Whining noise after warm-up Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:20 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Once the noise starts it's constant, at idle or at speed. The running of the engine is unaffected but it just bothers me as to what is happening.

8Back to top Go down   Whining noise after warm-up Empty Re: Whining noise after warm-up Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Maybe when it warms up enough it presses into the rubber clamp enough to transmit noise into the plastic holder and thus into the tank, to be amplified up to year ears?????

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum