BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Empty K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:06 am

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Attempted to determine why I had an intermittent voltage at the switched power plug mounted in the left hand knee pad. Unsuccessful to the point I probably destroyed the BMW illuminated rocker switch mounted in the small rubber dashboard mounted at the handle bars which supposedly supplies switched power to this outlet. However after stripping the rocker switch out I am puzzled that the switched wire does not appear to go directly to the power outlet.
Simple, simple, simple, three wires to the rocker switch, Brown is negative, Blue/White is positive and energized all the time. Brown/Yellow who knows where it goes and why.
Then at the power outlet two wires, brown (negative) to the outside of the BMW female plug in the knee pad but lo and behold there is a Red/White to the centre pin of the power plug not the Brown/Yellow from the rocker switch.
The third wire leaving the rocker switch (the switched lead) goes somewhere before it becomes a Red/White wire on the positive power center pin of the female outlet.
Am I missing something here? Are there interposing relays for the power outlets on this bike?
I can wait and chase the wire once I stop riding and put the bike up for the winter, Unless someone has a simple answer for me on the wiring logic of this bike.
I looked at the schematics but it doesn't appear that this power outlet is connected to the load shed relay.
Any thoughts are more than welcome.
Shep

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow shep ...i never knew that the accessory socket was switched from the "contol area" switch ...i would be thinking this may have been for something else added by a previous owner ?

on most of the "bland bikes " there is only the all indicator flasher switch ( hazzard indicators )

but im willing to learn new stuff ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Charlie is correct, the colour codes indicates it is the hazzard switch (exept yellow/brown, should be
yellow/violet). When switch is on this wire is grounded, and activates the hazzard light.
The blue/white wire is for the indicator lamp, in the switch. (this was leaved out, on later models).
But as Charlie mentions, PO could have done some fiddlin`and used this switch for something else.

Power socket in the left knee pad, I`ll guess is a non genuine part.
One these models the genuine power socket is located on the top of the coil housing, and connected
to fuse #4 (which is unswitched).

Inge K.

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
This is a 1987 K100RS and I am the second owner.
I have (had as now there are only two functioning) three rocker switches in the soft pad on the handle bars. One is the illuminated hazard flasher switch, one is the heated handle grip switch and one was supposedly for the additional power outlet in the knee pad.
I do have the direct connected auxiliary power outlet on top of the coil housing as well.
If the switched outlet worked it would make it easier for me to turn my electric vest on and off as required while riding, without having to stop and pull it out of the other direct connected auxiliary outlet.
Probably the PO did install this additional switch as he saw fit, so I will chase it down this winter. Everything appears to disappear under the gas tank so I will remove the gas tank and have a look.

Thanks
Shep

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Further clarification.
On a second inspection with very much improved lighting, the wire previously mentioned as Brown/Yellow is actually Yellow/Violet Stripe. My apologies for the confusion but this wiring is on a separate switch from the hazard switch and is in a separate three conductor cable.

Shep

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Then PO just have buyed another hazzard switch, and used it for other purposes.

Inge K.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye inge !! ...verry likely

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I strongly suspect Inge K has nailed it because as he says on the standard bike the accessory plug is not switched, it sits on top of the coil and is fed from the fuse board, also the PO has probably used a spare Hazard Switch. All our bikes suffer from mods made by previous owners and chasing them down can be a problem. Especially bad are the ex Police bikes where they have taken off the radios and lights before sale often leaving a nest of cut wires.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Thank you for the input. I woke up to snow this morning, - 5 C, so I will now have lots of garage time to take the gas tank off and sort the circuit out.
What a bummer living in a northern climate!!!!!!!
Shep

10Back to top Go down   K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Empty Re: K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:42 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Do what my friend does and live the summer in the UK and when it starts to cool down fly down to NZ and when it starts to cool here fly back.
Regards,
K-BIKE

11Back to top Go down   K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Empty Re: K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:45 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow ....way cool k-bike

12Back to top Go down   K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Empty Re: K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Shep

Shep
Life time member
Life time member
Once again thank you for your input.
I am certainly considering your southern suggestion.
I did manage to ride yesterday but today it hailed and snowed while we were at the Cenotaph for the Remembrance Day Ceremony.
Shep

13Back to top Go down   K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Empty Re: K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:48 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Shep, just rain and wind down here (6*C).

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

14Back to top Go down   K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Empty Re: K100RS Aux Pwr Outlet Connections Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sun is shining here for the moment, wife looking on says BIG MOUTH!

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum