BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Burt Munro challenge 2012 Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Ok i was talking to Charlie on sunday about doing a trip to NZ next year, he metioned that a few forum members had talked about going to the Burt Munro Challenge. This event is held on the last weekend in November 2012.

Now i know that is a long way away, but i have emailed Dave Milligan at Get Routed bike transport and he has said bookings fill fast. Cost is $1750.00 AU per bike that includes insurance,maximum length of bike 2.3metres(K100 is 2220 long). Other costs are warranty of Fitness $29NZ and 1 months tourist rego $49NZ. Shipping dates out of Oz ports are to be confirmed but your bike would land in Auckland 19th November 2012 and would be shipped out on 14th December. They are only doing one container from each port to NZ,when theyre fully booked thats it. I have had some initial pricing from Ship My Bike, but they seem more expensive. I will post there prices as soon as i have them. I have looked at hiring over there and for the same period as Get Routed will have the bike over in NZ it would cost about $4000.00NZ plus a $3500NZ security deposit.

Ok i have had a reply from Ship my Bike and its $2500-$3000AU plus you have to crate your bike. 2 weeks travel time plus 3 -5 days pack and unpack each end.

Get Routed will not be going into Christchurch but Auckland instead, so you have to catch the Interisland Ferry which costs about $166NZ one way for 2 passengers plus your bike.

I just thought i would post this up as the minister for war & finance and I have been talking about going over to NZ for a while and this seemed like a good excuse to see if anyone else was interested.

Be a good excuse to have a K100 meet up with our Kiwi members. If we get a really big hat we can pass it around to sponsor CrazyFrog's flight to NZ and back. I'm sure one of the NZforum guys would have a bike spare.Burt Munro challenge 2012 719641 .

Last edited by caferacer62 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Burt Munro challenge 2012 170874

2Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:04 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice ......good work there bert 2.0

was good to see real quotations rather than ..."the rumour mill"

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:50 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Riding in NZ instead of walk/climbing..I shall think more of this idea..

4Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:14 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Albyalbatross1 wrote:Riding in NZ instead of walk/climbing..I shall think more of this idea..

You can do that too Alby!! But that sounds like excercise to me.

5Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:03 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
If you guys are going to organise your own shipping go to a "harley dealer " and buy one of the travel skids less the carton harleys arrive on $50 -$100 easier to lash it down and less damage and all the tie down brackets are attached

6Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:39 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i recon we could get a few bmw shipping cases ...and tiedowns ...at real cheep ...

but great idea tony

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:44 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Get Routed supplies the skid and packs your bike on it. All you have to do is deliver the bike perfectly clean( for customs) with 1 litre of fuel and the battery disconnected with cable ends taped up. They do the rest, this applies at the NZ end as well for the return. Ship my bike does not crate your bike you have to, and they are more expensive.

I'm still looking at other shipping options. Ship my Bike can fly it there for you, Its $6500AU return. But your only without your bike for 2days each way, as opposed to 2 weeks for sea freight.

You'll still need the tie downs for the InterIsland ferry in NZ.

8Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
Btw when they say clean they mean F%^$#g spotless no dirt or bugs
anywhere including the tyre treads . At the moment it costs unto $280 to pressure wash your bike and they don't care how much water gets into your electrics. We had a harley come in from America at work and AQIS knocked it back for dirt under the mudguard and it looked brand new!!
Its is best to send it with a agent as less checks on your gear and paper work is filled in properly less hassles picking it up at the other end

9Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:56 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
I was in NZ this last February and am keen on another visit. Then i had the loan of a bike so didn't need to ship or hire. My brilliant idea for next time is to buy a bike there , check out tradesme nz.com ,plenty of k's there . With the oz $ at 1.32 and tthe "cheap" asking prices and freight only one way saving heaps on "dead money " for Get Routed or hire! Plus we have our own bike till the day we leave and ditto return.
Picture if you can mechanicing our unknown k's around ,what a test of the collective forum knowledge!
I bags travelling with Charlie, Kfreak and (oops , shouldnt have started to list names !) all you clever people.I'm good at spanner passing and Olympic standard hammer weilder !

10Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:00 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Correction . trademenz.com

11Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:14 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah Ghost,that was my next course of research to do. Its $1350AU one way shipping. Be ok if you had somewhere over there to stash the bike for more return trips.

I'm with you on the spanner passing, also good at free advice and getting supplies(beer) to lubricate thinking process.

Ghost did you ride NZ last time did you ride around? You sound like a good candidate as ride leader Razz .

12Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ghost who rides wrote:I was in NZ this last February and am keen on another visit. Then i had the loan of a bike so didn't need to ship or hire. My brilliant idea for next time is to buy a bike there , check out tradesme nz.com ,plenty of k's there . With the oz $ at 1.32 and tthe "cheap" asking prices and freight only one way saving heaps on "dead money " for Get Routed or hire! Plus we have our own bike till the day we leave and ditto return.
Picture if you can mechanicing our unknown k's around ,what a test of the collective forum knowledge!
I bags travelling with Charlie, Kfreak and (oops , shouldnt have started to list names !) all you clever people.I'm good at spanner passing and Olympic standard hammer weilder !
Don't like to pour any cold water on things but I would say that if the money supply doesn't improve this Freakin little K rider won't be going. I shall against all odds keep buying lotto tickets in my get poorer slowly scheme.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

13Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:31 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
better than my get poor fast scheme ....giggles

14Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:07 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thought I had copywright on that scheme ! However November '12 is a long way off .
Hey Cafe , can you research the cost of the appropriate size box as freight since that may be cheaper ? I don't have a pc at the moment only this f@#%&* "smartphone"
Can you guys checkout trademe and give an opinion re prices?

15Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
No worries Ghost will do. I think ShipmyBike gave me the crate size we needed in the quote they sent me.

Will check out trademe and get back to you.

I think i have a masters degree in the get poor scheme, If i win lotto mate i'll pay for the whole shootin match Smile

16Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:53 am

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
www.trademe.co.nz

If you guys are looking at buying bikes here I would be happy to provide a location for shipping to, preping etc. I am in Nelson at the top of the south island. The event is a 2 day ride from here. Storage may be possibe for the longer term as well. Biketrans will ship throughout NZ so a bike could be purchased in any part of the country. That would help with worries about timing and any surprise a used bike my provide which could ruin a holiday without being sorted first. Cost of travel would need to include a flight to Christchurch followed by a domestic sector to Nelson.

Some considerations are insurance, mine cost $290pa for 3rd party cover. Insurance is not complusary here. Registration at $580pa, but they can be registered for short periods and then put on hold. Warrant of fitness at $35. A used bike should come with reg and WOF though.

A tidy brick should sell for under $4000 here, so not far off the shipping cost. All the better if its sold after. Be aware the market is slow here so don't expect to cash it up the day you leave

Sorry if this appears twice, posted earlier but not showing. I messed up I think.

Peter

17Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:07 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good ideas peter .. thanks

still havent visited soo much of the south island ...nelson is on my list ...christchurch is great especially middleton ...(love those villages on the side of cliffs) ...but im sure there is so much to see ....invercargil ....dunedin ...west port ..blenhiem ....arthurs pass and all those famous places ...

mind you, still have to do the west and east coasts of the north island too .....the coramal sounds fantastic ...the mind buzzes with excitement .

might be over there again fairly soon ...but up in the far north ...dang work stuff .....(hmm i wonder if work would let me stay on a couple of weeks .... could i fit the k in my baggage secretly ? but at $10 a kilo exccess bagage ...i guess not..... sniffle )

18Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:01 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Peter, food for thought . On a lighter note ,how about a Top Gear type challenge? you know , buy a K under so many $'s then meet and do a tour? Our kiwi coz could join in but be ineligible for the "win", ha ha ha.
Yeah had a good day, finally tamed my one metre high grass (borrowed mates Fergie with slasher ) then celebrated with a few of James Boags finest!

19Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:06 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow ghosty ...!!! what a thought ... i just couldnt bear the thought of running a k into the ground because of that lot of no thinking ....erm revheads .....

20Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:25 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Ok Charlie , but it's only Clarkson who hates bikes ! We could name it after another revhead ..... how about the Bert (CF) K Challenge in conjunction with the Bert Munro
Challenge ? A bit of a mouthful but we may get it down to an acronym ! Ha ha

21Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:55 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
[quote].but im sure there is so much to see ....invercargil

You looking to race an Indian!!!!

22Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:59 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no feathers in this old scalp alby ......when i was a kid we always wore white hats (cowboys and indian ,, the good guys always wore white !!) omg droowl ...now i am showing my age ....hiho silver and away ..

23Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:08 am

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
Not too sure about there being much to see in Invercargill, but Berts bike is on display in the local hardware store and you must take a look.

24Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:20 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow ...really ?.... in the hardware store ?...classic !!

25Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:07 pm

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/1672137

Not sure whos site this is but some good photos of the bikes.

I would bet they had no idea how much interest there would be following the movie about Bert. Theres a few movie replica bikes kicking around too (in fact I believe the stremliner in the shop is one of these but could be wrong), and one of Berts mates bikes sold a while back for 70-80K I think, all be it with some engine tweaking by Bert. Wonder what the originals would fetch at auction today? My wife can remember seeing him testing a bike on the beach, which at the time didn't seem out of the ordinary or hint at just what he went on to acheive. I believe his speed record still stands today.

26Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:49 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Ghost who rides wrote:Hey Cafe , can you research the cost of the appropriate size box as freight since that may be cheaper ?

Not sure about crate size but dimensions on the K are apparently 2220 long x 910 wide x 1155 high, Haven't run a tape measure over mine yet to check those measurments. I guess a crate would be about that size, but bear in mind the containers are only 2300 wide inside. Thats why the bike shipping companies say its one price for bikes up to 2300 long, and extra for longer bikes (cant fit as many in a container). They can get 10 bikes per container if they are under 2300 long.

From what i can see on the trademe site, a couple of K's on there around the $4000 mark. I still reckon its cheaper to send my bike over, by the time i've bought a bike over there and paid around $1300 to ship it back its about $5000 - $5500.

$1750 to ship over and back leaves more in my pocket for the duration of the trip around NZ. Still plenty of time for more research.

27Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:20 pm

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Bert 2.0, all good food for thought and as you say plenty of time to research . Of course I'm Dream 'n as usual , my cheapest option would be to borrow the Suzuki again and to be honest i had a blast on it. Low n light rorty Cobra exh was great fun.
Cheers Gordon

28Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:26 pm

IPJ100

IPJ100
Silver member
Silver member
Hi guys, Sorry i don't know whether this idea will work for you or not, but a few of us clubbed together - got a van and filled it with 5 bikes - not all K's but tourers all the same. shipping cost was one van on the ferry but again it was from blighty to france, picked up the van on the way back to return. We saved heaps of dosh and little inconveniennce, but i don't expect it'll be that easy if you have to power wash off bugs yer bikes, I brought back some beauties splat all over the front windsheild - still there i think - unless its rained , hey its england of course it has.

Burt munro is a legend, i hope you guys get to do an epic trip.

All the best - sorry if it's of no use - if it is i'll take 10% of the saving - just for beer tokens of course.

Have fun!!

IPJ100

29Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Great idea, more money to put gas in the tank! Burt Munro challenge 2012 212902

30Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:14 pm

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Five tourers in a van. What was it a 7.5 Tonner? Very Happy

Mike

31Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:08 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Hi IPJ100, unfortunately no ferries go to NZ from OZ. Not sure of the distance but its only sea freight or by air.

Great idea though.

32Back to top Go down   Burt Munro challenge 2012 Empty Re: Burt Munro challenge 2012 Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
but an excelent suggestion for the trip to tassie

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum