BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 am

FreebasserSF

FreebasserSF
Silver member
Silver member
Lately I've suspected that one or more ground may be corroded somewhere in one of the nooks or maybe crannies of my bike. I have used deoxit as many here have recommended and cleaned as many of the obvious connections I could with steel wool, wire brushes, deoxit, files, and sandpaper. Please tell me which grounds I may have missed. I have "treated" and made sure were properly grounded all of the following ground wires: the obvious cluster of brown wires under the gas tank, the one to the engine directly from the negative battery terminal, one to a bolt behind the footpeg mounting bracket, one on the starter (or maybe it's the alternator, I can't remember). If anyone could post a complete list of all grounds that are to the frame or to some component which eventually goes to the frame that would be even better than telling me the ones I missed. Also a BMW mechanic told me via email that a bolt toward the right rear side of the frame, a bolt which holds the engine to the frame has a ground and looks like this:
Locations of all grounds on K100rs Ground10

Can anyone clarify what he's talking about? I can't seem to find a wire leading to that spot on my bike...

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have never seen an earth wire on that bolt. There is one more I can think of and that is below and just behind the fuel rail between #3 & #4 injector, it is not very apparent and gives the fuel injection computer an extra earth. There may also be a earth wire that goes from the cluster under the tank to the right master cylinder and it is very neccessary to your well being and can prevent a throttle lock up. Other than them and what you mension I can't think of any others.
Neither the starter or alternator has earth wires you may have mistaken the 6mm black wire with a smaller one next to it on the starter which supplies power when the start button is pushed.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
FreebasserSF wrote: Also a BMW mechanic told me via email that a bolt toward the right rear side of the frame, a bolt which holds the engine to the frame has a ground and looks like this:
Can anyone clarify what he's talking about? I can't seem to find a wire leading to that spot on my bike...
It`s the mounting lug itself which is the main ground connection between the engine and frame.

Inge K.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ah Yes thanks Inge I hadn't thought about that earth, the other 2 points on the engine are rubber mounts on the K100 but the gear box also has good earth points.
I see your winter has not driven you crazy yet or do you spend the winter in Spain and not tell us.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
K Freak wrote:I see your winter has not driven you crazy yet or do you spend the winter in Spain and not tell us.
Not yet........but -8 degree celsius and snowing.......keeps you inside, throwing pieces of wood into a
big iron box.

Spain would be a great idea, my fellows at work and I have often speak about putting the factory on a
raft and pull it direction south............the stock holders doesn`t agree.

Inge K.

6Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 pm

FreebasserSF

FreebasserSF
Silver member
Silver member
Aha! So the bolt should be taken out ran, over with some lube and a dye to be sure it's clean, and then re-inserted to confirm ground.

K Freak wrote:Ah Yes thanks Inge I hadn't thought about that earth, the other 2 points on the engine are rubber mounts on the K100 but the gear box also has good earth points.

What do you mean about the rubber mounts on the engine? Also where are the grounds on the gear box?

7Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The two front mountings on the frame, is rubber mounted.
The two rear mountings (at gearbox) is direct mounted (which also give electrical connection).

Inge K.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
FreebasserSF wrote:Aha! So the bolt should be taken out ran, over with some lube and a dye to be sure it's clean, and then re-inserted to confirm ground.
Watch out when you removing this bolt, as it should be a shims (if needed) between the frame mounting lug and the bellhousing.

Inge K.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Great tip Inge thanks for that I am just about to treat that bolt.
Regards,
K-BIKE

10Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
"There may also be a earth wire that goes from the cluster under the tank
to the right master cylinder and it is very neccessary to your well
being and can prevent a throttle lock up."
Sorry, but I don't understand this. What is the right master cylinder? The front brake pump? A throttle lock up? Does this mean the throttle will not close?

11Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
brickrider wrote:Sorry, but I don't understand this. What is the right master cylinder? The front brake pump? A throttle lock up? Does this mean the throttle will not close?
Yes, it`s the front brake pump...........and worst case scenario is that your throttle won`t close.
(but if the specific problem should happen, you probably just end up with a throttle that is stiff to operate).

Early in the life of the K it was some issues with front brake switches that shorted, and the only way
the current could find ground, was through the throttle cable.
So since then (05/84) the K`s got an additional ground wire on RH lever assy.

Inge K.

12Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
brickrider wrote:"There may also be a earth wire that goes from the cluster under the tank
to the right master cylinder and it is very neccessary to your well
being and can prevent a throttle lock up."
Sorry, but I don't understand this. What is the right master cylinder? The front brake pump? A throttle lock up? Does this mean the throttle will not close?
BMW found that under some fault conditions that the extra current was earthing via the throttle cable which was gettinh hot and melting the inner liner and binding the cable so that it didnt return properly. I was going to type right switches and changed my mind and put master cylinder (front brake) but didn't delete the right bit sorry for the confusion.

13Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:06 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
My K100RS is a 1985 model, so this could well be something I need to pay attention to. When I first acquired the bike I did some work on the front brakes, but I don't recall finding any earth wire on the brake master cylinder. Where would I find the connection point, if the wire is indeed there? TIA

14Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It is a black wire, not brown as are most earths, and connects to a 4mm allen head bolt to the front inner lower corner of the master cylinder assembly.

15Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It should be mounted on all models since 05/84.

Locations of all grounds on K100rs B0000610

Inge K.

16Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:39 pm

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
Also on mine there is a large flat braided earth strap that connects to the lower fork clamp and goes back to the earth point on the main frame under the tank.

When i had everthing off for the headlight relay stuff, i noticed that the lug on the end of it that attached to the fork clamp had snapped off. Probably from fatigue,but definitely worth checking. I don't know if all the models have them though.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Locations of all grounds on K100rs 170874

17Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:25 pm

orforester

orforester
Silver member
Silver member
Inge, you wouldn't happen to have a photo of that ground?  I have a 4/85 RS converting to RT.  Been in the shop for a couple of months, brain is not remembering where that wire goes?  Black wire with loop on end.

18Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:46 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Inge K wrote: Early in the life of the K it was some issues with front brake switches that shorted, and the only way
the current could find ground, was through the throttle cable.
So since then (05/84) the K`s got an additional ground wire on RH lever assy.

My RT is 08/84, doesn't have this, but the LT does have it........Good post.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

19Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:05 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Unless I am wrong and this isn't part number 25, but I think it is

Locations of all grounds on K100rs Earth10

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

20Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:09 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yep thats it. I have also seen them attached to the other bolt that holds the master cyl at the front

21Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Other end to the central ground under the tank.

22Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:43 am

orforester

orforester
Silver member
Silver member
I did find that ground I attached it to the front mount on master cly.  That is where it is on my 89 RS.  I would think either location grounds the  throttle?  Right?

23Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:03 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yep that's it

24Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:41 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I just checked my K1100 front brake master cylinder (20mm Brembo) and there is no apparent connection for the ground.  Is it required on the K1100 front brake master cylinder or is that ground wire ONLY required for the K100 MC?

25Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
16V's got a different kind of front brake lamp switch.

26Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:56 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
So Inge, I take it this means the ground wire is not required on the K1100 front MC. The short circuit cannot happen because of the different right-hand light switch assembly's design and therefore current will never try to find its way back along the throttle cable.

27Back to top Go down   Locations of all grounds on K100rs Empty Re: Locations of all grounds on K100rs Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Yes, you're correct Robert....16V switches has a plastic housing...
much less posibillity to short to ground.

8V switches has partly a metal housing.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum