BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   lead additive Empty lead additive Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:16 am

tunza60

tunza60
I read that the older K's take leaded fuel, (i have an 84 rs) should i still add an additive or are the valves good now?

2Back to top Go down   lead additive Empty Re: lead additive Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
You have to give us your bike serial number.
Only the very first Ks took leaded fuel.

Bert

3Back to top Go down   lead additive Empty Re: lead additive Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 am

tunza60

tunza60
hey Bert, the Engine # is 104EA30841796, VIN i think is CHNK100RS0019065. date of manufacture was 07/1984. And where do you find the info re leaded or unleaded petrol?

Ta,
Tony

4Back to top Go down   lead additive Empty Re: lead additive Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:23 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
"Early K Series machines were designed for leaded fuel - this was changed sometime early in 1985 from the Chassis Numbers listed below.

K100 (UK) unleaded fuel from chassis number 0 007 291

K100RS (UK) unleaded fuel from chassis number 0 081 107

K100RT (UK) unleaded fuel from chassis number 0 024 999"

courtesy of : www.bmbikes.co.uk

Not sure how that translates to the rest of the world but I think Australian bikes are European spec.

Regards,

Phil

5Back to top Go down   lead additive Empty Re: lead additive Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:00 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
K100rs with chassis # starting at 0081107 (last 7 digits of the VIN) started to be manufactured in November 1984.
If the data posted on bmbikes.co.uk is correct, your RS takes leaded fuel.
You must put an additive in your gas.

6Back to top Go down   lead additive Empty Re: lead additive Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:39 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
My RT is in the same range and I have been using Nulon with no adverse effects but for all I know it could be red cordial so any preferences or is this another can of worms.

Regards,

Phil

7Back to top Go down   lead additive Empty Re: lead additive Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:39 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Lots of different wisdom about this............. 😕 ...........some say you need to use a lead replacement as the valve seats are too soft (MOTOBINS in the UK do a head coversion) others say that if the bike has been running at least for about 30,000 km on leaded fuel the seats have sufficiently been hamered in with lead that you don't need to use it anymore. Important is that a lack of lead will show itself in the valve seats, leading to reduced valve clearance. I don't know, my K100RT is from 1984 and I use an additive, just to be sure. Cheers, Rene.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum