BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Updated centerstands Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
I have an 85 K100RT and I have a chance to buy a centerstand/sidestand assembly from a 1993 K1100. Is it compatible with my K100RT?

Gerry

2Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:05 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Yes it is.

Try to get the whole assembly (center stand and side stand)
The K100 side stand interfere with the K1100 center stand. This is not a big deal but if you get only the center stand, you will have to deploy the side stand in order to get the center one down.

3Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
GREAT, THANKS

4Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Crazy Frog wrote:Yes it is.

Try to get the whole assembly (center stand and side stand)

+1

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Life time member
Life time member
I'm doing this very mod at the moment Puccini. Make sure the side stand from the 1100 doesnt have wear in the jaws. Apparently new jaws can be got to weld in but I havn't found a source yet. I may try to build up the old with weld and file it back.

6Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Got the stand!!!!! Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Puccini

Silver member
Silver member
I managed to get a complete center/side stand assy for about $70.(US) delivered.

It was a lucky buy.

Now I have to figure out how to get it mounted.

7Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Puccini wrote:I managed to get a complete center/side stand assy for about $70.(US) delivered.

It was a lucky buy.

Now I have to figure out how to get it mounted.

Good price Puccini, getting it bolted up should be ok and straightforward. Note the position of spacers as you take the old one off and check it's seating in the rubbers ok.

8Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:19 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mine bolted up just fine puccini ...but the side stand does need a little rubber bumper to hold it off the exhaust

hoping to do that today .

good find mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty 1985K100RS Centerstand Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:45 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I enjoy educating myself with the wealth of info found here. Most recently I began reading the service bulletins and came across the one detailing changes to the centerstands. I see that my bike falls within the production that had problems. However, the sketch on the service bulletin does not provide enough detail for me to understand whether the centerstand on my bike has been changed out or not. Mad Can anyone direct me to photos of the old and new stands so I can understand what I have on my bike? TIA

10Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:13 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
On the old stands the triangular reinforcement plate is closed at the ends (arrows),
on newer stands it`s open at the ends.

11Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty centerstand Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:26 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for your help, Inge. Now that you have pointed it out, I can see there are differences between the two stands as sketched in the service bulletin. In my case, however, the centerstand looks like neither one of the illustrations. It has a sort of wrap around bit of metal reinforcement on the lower left leg. It's not triangular. I don't quite know what to make of it.

12Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Where the foot lever meets the main stays there is a small piece welded into the corner to strengthen the joint. If this is welded all the way around then the stand will break at the joint. the later stands have short welds and a space between them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

13Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Brickhead: at post #10 in this thread it is a picture of the old type (welded at at all sides).

14Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty center stand Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:13 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I was afraid of what I would learn, Inge. As luck would have it, my bike has the original style stand. There are center stands from later models available, but they are reported to fail as well. Would I be better off fitting one of those? Alternatively, are there drawings of modifications that can make my stand reliable? The thought of it breaking, followed by the sound of splintering plastic haunts me :pale:

15Back to top Go down   Updated centerstands Empty Re: Updated centerstands Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Have seen them all breaking....old model, new model, K11...and all of them breaks just above the foot lever.

After the one on my K100 did break....did cut the tube across where it did break....
then split the tube at both sides above and below this point....
did shape a solid piece which was mounted inside the tube, which was long enough to reach above the tube between the legs at top and ended beside the footlever at the bottom.

All welded together, the most solid part on the bike.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum