BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   front forks Empty front forks Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:26 am

lesso

lesso
i have oil leaking from front fork. could this be the oil seal. bike has not been dropped or in any rtc. how can i fix this.

thanks

2Back to top Go down   front forks Empty Re: front forks Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Moved to Frame, fairing and wheels, so if there is someone wanting information similar to your problem, it won't get lost in the Engine and transmission section.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   front forks Empty Re: front forks Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:03 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Lesso, oil appearing on the fork tubes or at the bottom of the fork (near the drain plugs)?

Have a look at the download section and look for the Workshop manual.

Do a search for front forks or fork seals and see what you find.

If it is the fork seals, it's pretty straight forward to change.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   front forks Empty forks Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:51 pm

lesso

lesso
at top my dust covers

5Back to top Go down   front forks Empty Re: front forks Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Read the answer (#6) Don Eilenberger has given in this thread.

Did read that the bolt in the bottom of the slider could be a problem, I haven`t got any problem with those ones.
But the screw is a low head allen, and is easily rounded.

It`s important to keep the allen key absolute straight when turning it, or........
Get a allen key like this one, and it won`t slip that easy.
front forks Unbrak10

6Back to top Go down   front forks Empty Re: front forks Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Lesso, had same prob 2 week ago. I just removed plastic cap wiped away dirt/dust etc, removed the bolt at the top, cleaned and put back in. No problems at moment. I doubt mine has been checked for tightness for a few years so with vibrations it seems to have worked lose allowing it to weep very very slightly. A fork oil change will happen later this year. . . . . . . when i stop riding it Surprised-o:

7Back to top Go down   front forks Empty front fork leak Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 am

lesso

lesso
do i need to remove it all from the bike to do what you suggested.

8Back to top Go down   front forks Empty Re: front forks Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:34 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If it`s your filler plug(s) that is leaking, it`s enough to loosen the handlebar from the clamps to get acces.
You need an open ended wrench to stop the spring retainer from turning, while tightening the filler plug(s).
Check that a alu crush washer is present under the filler plug(s), or better get a couple of new ones.

If you still got a leak problem at the top of the stanchions after tightnining or changing the crush washers, it probably is the o-ring(s) at your spring retainer(s) that is leaking.....not unusual if the springs have been changed and the retainers is mounted back in a hurry.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum