BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Troubleshooting guidance requested - Page 2 Empty Re: Troubleshooting guidance requested Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:58 pm

C_Mick

Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote: It`s quite important if you`re fond of cigars.....and like to have one when puzzling around serving your bike. When disconnecting the hoses when under pressure, you have possibility to spray fuel around where you don`t want it.

I think I would still enjoy a good cigar, but haven't had one for over 20 years. I've told my wife I'll start again when I reach 75. Something to look forward to - the cigars I mean... Smile

52Back to top Go down   Troubleshooting guidance requested - Page 2 Empty Re: Troubleshooting guidance requested Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:44 pm

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
I will post again when the fuel line is re assembled and I can resume testing . I'm trying to source new o rings for the injectors but can't get the correct size locally. There are a bunch of public holidays in SA; last Friday was "Freedom Day" and today (Tuesday) is "Workers Day". Monday was a 'normal working day' in theory but many establishments remained closed anyway. Oh well...
Chris

53Back to top Go down   Troubleshooting guidance requested - Page 2 Empty Troubleshooting guidance requested Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:53 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I'm not particularly sharp on the whole electrics thing, but I borrowed a set of LED injector pulse testing lights from a mate at an auto garage. You pull the injector connector off the injector (small fiddly wire clip off first) then plug this little LED's 2 wires into the connector and turn the engine over. You can see if a pulse is going through. It's a way of narrowing down your options, by showing if the injector is the problem, or the electrical pulse being sent to it.
Good luck mate, if I can do it, anyone can.
RT

54Back to top Go down   Troubleshooting guidance requested - Page 2 Empty Re: Troubleshooting guidance requested Tue May 01, 2012 2:00 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Regarding O rings, these are the same injectors used on mid 80's to early 90's 4 and 6 cylinder Fords, so if you're really stuck, try a dealer. In North America, the Ford Ranger truck used the same injector, or so I read. Does that help at all???

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

55Back to top Go down   Troubleshooting guidance requested - Page 2 Empty Re: Troubleshooting guidance requested Tue May 01, 2012 3:02 am

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
club_c wrote:Regarding O rings, these are the same injectors used on mid 80's to early 90's 4 and 6 cylinder Fords, so if you're really stuck, try a dealer. In North America, the Ford Ranger truck used the same injector, or so I read. Does that help at all???

Thanks for the tip, I'll get on to the nearest Ford dealer tomorrow.

56Back to top Go down   Troubleshooting guidance requested - Page 2 Empty Re: Troubleshooting guidance requested Tue May 01, 2012 4:00 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello Chris, my advice regarding O rings is not do ask dealers office. Ask in some general mechanical workshop but bringo the example (O ring) in your hand, like I did. A lost of european cars with injection used that kind and dimension of rings. I asked in electrical workshop in neighborhood and noticed they had a small boxes with different sizes. They gave me set of eight O rings for free.

Regards

57Back to top Go down   Troubleshooting guidance requested - Page 2 Empty Re: Troubleshooting guidance requested Sun May 20, 2012 10:00 am

C_Mick

C_Mick
Silver member
Silver member
This has been a long-running saga so I'll cut directly to the chase: I received the new o rings on Friday and replaced the injectors today. On pressing the starter button and with a slight amount of throttle advance, the engine turned over and fired up. Very Happy I let it run for a while and varied the revs until it stabilized at a comfortable tick-over of approx 900 rpm. I ran it some more until the radiator fan cut in as I had replaced the coolant and wanted to eliminate any trapped air in the system.
So what was the likely cause of the problem 'engine turning over but not firing up'? I can't be sure, but I think I can eliminate the fuel system including the injectors as the spray pattern delivered at the injectors seemed fine. I'm inclined to eliminate the ignition system too, as sparks were being delivered at the plugs (but whether the sparks were 'strong' enough I don't know). Later I replaced the plugs just to be certain of them. A possible candidate is air 'starvation' resulting from a partially clogged air filter. Although the filter that was installed had seen less than 2000 miles service, it been on the bike for over 6 years. While I was waiting for the o rings I replaced the air filter in order to eliminate that possibility. I suppose, in the spirit of scientific inquiry I could re-install the old air filter and see whether the engine continues to run OK. But I'm happy to let this remain an open question. I have a few more adjustments to make before I ride the bike after being a long time out of the saddle and I'm keen to get there. I'm grateful to all of you who offered advice and helped me get my '75 running again. I'll raise a glass to you this evening.

Best regards, Chris

58Back to top Go down   Troubleshooting guidance requested - Page 2 Empty Re: Troubleshooting guidance requested Sun May 20, 2012 10:27 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Well thats good news Chris now we just expect some photos of those great riding roads we hear of in SA and don't forget to keep the shiny side up.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum