BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

51Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine cutout Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:03 pm

charlie99

VIP
VIP
just extend your fuel lines a little , you should be able to run the bike with the tank suported a bit above the frame to gain access with the pump connector outside the frame .

with out all this on off stuff.....till you get it solved at least ....you can buy cheep fuel line for this purpose as we're not going to use it forever ,,just make sure the high presure line seals up well , actually i have a butterfly type hose clamp thumb twist on my high presure side ..for easy removal ..just havent installed one on the return line yet ...(put it on the list i guess )

there may be some interaction between the relay load and the resistance measurement ...so may be an idea to check the terminal on the connector side to earth after a run up to temp

52Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty still got that cutout Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Bueno Hombre

Bueno Hombre
Ran bike until it quits in about the normal time . Same rapid shuttoff . Popped tank and relay measured at pin E . Seem to have lots more resistance than needed . I have an old VU meter so my readings are not as accurate as a digital . Resistance is very high getting 400 ohms + at tempeture shutdown . Will wait till it cools and see what reading is at this point . While I cannot detect any tampering at this connction temp sensor , what happens if wires had been reversed ? Conector is an idiot proof 1 way on . Temp sensor is a new unit and I had seemingly same circumstance with old temp sensor with no fan running either . That is what drove getting anew temp sensor . Dale Goodman :joker: Im serios about the beer . Could actually send some as a consulting fee . Have not been to Austrailia or Finland yet but have lived in Europe and chased women around Asia Pacific rim . Got caught by a lovely Chinese Microbioligist who is keeping me now .

53Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty cut still evermore Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Bueno Hombre

Bueno Hombre
You guys are focused on the temp sensor so I guess we will hang out in this area . Will pull this out tommorrow and do the resistance boiling water check . I just did a check from pin E to connector on temp sensor and the wires are good . When motor is cool should I get a ground reading from pin E to ground ? Resistance seems very high even as the motor is cooling . Will read into Haynes manual and see what it has to say about the temp sensor . Dale Goodman

54Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine cutout Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It seems like we are getting closer to the problem, the circuit between the sensor and terminal E at the socket.
It`s probably a bad connection at the sensor connector, or the connector between engine and chassis harness.

On the other hand, does the bike get very hot? What I have in mind is that it could be that the element of the sensor that is connected to the ECU has a intermittent short to ground.............then it would cut before reaching critical temp..................
but this is less unlikely, than to much resistance in the first mentioned.......
but could be kept in mind.
400 ohms would correspond to 70oC water temp.

If you had reversed the connector, it wouldn`t done any difference as it is two similar elements.
You should read about the same resistance at the E terminal in the relay socket, and at pin 10 at the ECU connector.

Last edited by Inge K. on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding info.)

55Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine cutout Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Bueno Hombre wrote:When motor is cool should I get a ground reading from pin E to ground ? Resistance seems very high even as the motor is cooling .

As the the engine cools down, the resistance would rise...................20oC = 2500 ohms.

56Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty engine cutout Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Bueno Hombre

Bueno Hombre
Waiting on parts to come and thought that I could do some testing while I have a spare moment . Pulled out temp sensor and did the boiling water test . I have no tempeture light so this side feeds the EFI . Started at 500 + ohm reading and no change at 100 degrees celcius . Bad :afro: Other terminal started out the same 500+ ohm and reduced down steadily until the 175 ohm range at 100 degrees celcius . This is a new 63.75 plus gasket and shipping from Bobs BMW . Will get on the horn and grip mightilly to customer service first thing in the morning . I shot some power earlier and provided a ground to temp light and know that this circut is good . What the heck do I have to replace all the parts twice and test new out of the box parts ? Engine cutout  - Page 2 259495 I hit the garage when possible so my troubleshooting comes and goes with availability of time . Have an old analog ohm meter will have to go and get a digital to get more presice . Will post as time comes and parts get here Dale Goodman

57Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Engine cutout Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Bueno Hombre

Bueno Hombre
Well finally got the parts in for the sender unit crammed that into bike . Meanwhile I had gone in and rewired hall sensor and put in better acft connectors than the crimp type that I did replace and had a run condition earlier . Now a no run condition , Pulled out some plugs 2 fire and 2 do not . I have killed a sensor . The wiring coming out of the replacement sensors that I had installed was really kinda cheesy , musta stretched one . Gonna go back to Ebay and watch for a sensor they go by all the time . Also noted that starter only cranks about 5 revolutions now and then I have to press button again , this is a new possible issue . This could be timing and am charging the battery . :suspect: Weather is getting better now and my teenagers have temporarilly settled down . I managed to do the kidney stone oh that hurts thing this weekend , so another day or two lost . I might get this thing to run by 2013 or bust ! Dale Goodman

58Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine cutout Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Sorry to hear about the kidney stones Dale, hope you're mending. before buying off ebay have alook at this thread for hall sensors.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

59Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty engine cutout Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Bueno Hombre

Bueno Hombre
Too late I have already gone to the dump man and bought another . Weather is improving and I wanna play with my toy . One of the killer teens in my herd has a reliable running Honda rebel . Dad on the other hand has a broken nuts BMW (same dad that is supposed to be training him ) . Just went with a junkyard special that will have some better integrity on the wiring than obviously what I created . Thing just have to improve here am really turning this bike inside out trying to chase these gremlins out . Seems that in my zeal that I am a creator of evil also . Engine cutout  - Page 2 178468 Dale Goodman gonna go play some ball ( am number 2 in Oklahoma table tennis )

60Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Engine cutout Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:26 am

Bueno Hombre

Bueno Hombre
Engine cutout  - Page 2 1106080553 Guess what to anybody monitoring the events that have preceeded . BMWr lives !!!!!!!! Put in another hall sensor from dump man . Changed out the temp sensor ,again 1 leg was bad in the resistor . Swapped out a fuel computer . Bam , she started out a bit rough but after timing set ran well . Seems a bit rough on the start but after an hour on the road bike seems to be running like a scalled ass ape (okie slang ) . Good throttle and no miss at all . Looked at the scottiesharp timing thread and tried that along with a timing gun , added a degree of advance and all seems great at this point . We are starting to cool here in late September so the weather is very tolerable now . The boy and I just did a big test ride ,he on the Rebel and me on the O cantankerous one . Engine cutout  - Page 2 502531 No issues on the ride , wahoo life is good for the evening . Will do some testing in the cool of morning to see if we still have a rough start condition . Thank you all for the many suggestions will do more posting as I do more testing and riding ! Boy wants to ride to Mount Scott next weekend . This is a ride to Lawton , Ok to the top of the hill . Incredible view . Dale Goodman Engine cutout  - Page 2 723598 Engine cutout  - Page 2 723598 Engine cutout  - Page 2 723598 Engine cutout  - Page 2 723598 Engine cutout  - Page 2 723598 Engine cutout  - Page 2 723598 Engine cutout  - Page 2 723598

61Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine cutout Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Congrats with a running engine....finally success....Engine cutout  - Page 2 Occasi11

62Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine cutout Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:26 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Well done!
Regards,
K-BIKE

63Back to top Go down   Engine cutout  - Page 2 Empty Re: Engine cutout Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 pm

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
I love it when a story has a happy ending.

Well done, and thanks to all who helped this guy get his K100 back on the road.

I love this forum. Thanks to Crazy Frog who keeps it running.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum