BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty What's the green wire do? Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
Hello my first post, this is my first "K" a 75RT 1993 i have only had airheads before. The bike had been stood for a few years before i rescued it, all went well no major problems getting it back on the road and it sailed through the MOT

I did about 400 enjoyable miles when the indicators started playing up then the lights and starter motor, i have been going round checking earths and in the process of fitting new brushes to the starter motor, something is really bugging me.

on the starter motor input there is a small black wire going to a relay (Load shed i think) on the other side of the coil for the relay there are 2 green wires where i am getting 12v+ when ignition is on, this does not make sense to me as i would have expected it to be an earth on that side can anyone enlighten me as to whether or not voltage shoud be present on the green wires? the starter relay seems to work ok.

Thanks Lou

2Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Lucky!

The LSR relay coil is grounded via the starter positive feed, and is the source for your problem. (quite common).

And yes, you should have positive on the green wires, since you got the negative on the other side of the coil.

Have a look in the "how to" section, to dismantle and clean the starter

3Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:00 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The LSR gets its earth through the starter to earth so that when 12v is applied to the starter the relay releases because it has 12v on both sides and breaks the circuit to the headlight etc for max starting power.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:02 am

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
Right thats starting to make sense as one of the brushes as worn out .....

thanks Lou

What's the green wire do? 002-13

5Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:50 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Gee that is well worn I reckon thats where the problem is.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
Thanks to all for your help, job sorted, after replacing the brush assembley carefully cleaning the commutator and a slight mod to the starter motor earth all is well.

I megga tested the earth/ground route from the starter motor and it was not a good circuit so i modified the circuit by putting a direct earth from the casing bolt the picture shows my first effort which will not fit due to the shape of the engine casting but move it to the other bolt and it will comfortabley fit.

Lou

What's the green wire do? 003-13

What's the green wire do? 002-14

What's the green wire do? 005-10

What's the green wire do? 008-5

7Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Lucky Lou wrote:I megga tested the earth/ground route from the starter motor and it was not a good circuit
BMW came to the same conclusion....some years later.
K11`s have a separate ground wire from one of the rear end mounting bolt to the battery.

Gongrats with the result.

8Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
I ought to sue them for pinching my idea..........What's the green wire do? 719641

Lou

9Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:08 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great result lou ...

and some good pics too .....im sure many folks have visited the starter motor and every thing looked ok to them .

good thinking result on the additional earth as well .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:10 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum, Lucky. As a matter of personal curiosity, how many miles/kilometers are on this bike? Late last year I brought a 1985 model with low miles. I've been putting off opening up the starter for maintenance. I'm wondering how long it will be before I've shot myself in the foot.... Shocked

11Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:19 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Well done Lucky good job. One thought when you say megger tested I trust you don't mean one of those hand cranked high voltage earth testers because I would advise against high voltage earth testing on bikes as most bike and car electrics die at spike voltages much above 50 Volts. Low voltage testing like with a conventional battery powered meter is not only fine but recommended but the crank handle type are a definite no-no.
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
brickrider wrote: As a matter of personal curiosity, how many miles/kilometers are on this bike?

I've been putting off opening up the starter for maintenance. I'm wondering how long it will be before I've shot myself in the foot....

Just to add to the research, did change mine first time at 15 years / 190.976 km.

Mixed local commuting / long distance.

13Back to top Go down   What's the green wire do? Empty Re: What's the green wire do? Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:53 am

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
Hi.. Brickrider I bought the bike by "accident" i have plenty of time on my hands and enjoy a good project my brother who likes his "Thumpers" got wind of an old Enfield for sale so he went to have a look at it (and bought it) when he was there he spotted the K in the guys garage and asked if it was for sale too, when the guy said yes he knowing i like my BMW,s sent me a picture via his mobile 5 minutes haggling over the phone and it was mine for £600.

The bike has just 40,000 miles just about run in, 2 owners from new the first owner only had it 6 months the second owner had used it for occasional touring with his wife and due to arthritis in his knee had not ridden for over 5 years so it was gathering dust in his garage, i felt really bad when i went to collect it as he gave me a full set of BMW luggage and a box of spares( i priced up the bits he gave me including a new Hagon monoshock they came to £450 at Motobins) these items i didnt know about when i was haggling on the phone or i would have given him more.

As i was loading it onto my van his wife started crying saying she felt like she was loosing a child, so i asked him if he wanted to keep it to which he replied no i cannot ride anymore it has to go but look after it as we have some great memories of trips on that bike.

Despite the long lay up it only needed cosmetic stuff i have lots of pictures but as yet cannot figure out the gallery when i do i will put up the images from start to finish.

K Bike i have a sophisticated digital multi meter/ load/capacitance test unit i use for work i know what you mean about blowing diodes etc with the old hand crank units (wheres my dynamite)

Very Lucky Lou

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum