BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Starter wiring connection... Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:08 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Just checking I have got it the right way around.... The starter motor is fed from the starter relay.... this connects to the thread and nut on the top.

Should the case of the starter be connected back to the battery negative.... or should there be a good enough earth with it bolted to the gearbox?

I am kind of thinking that the chassis should be the earth to the starter... But I can also see it making sense having a direct cable to the battery.... as this would also supplement the earth connection from the battery to the main earth point in the middle of the bike....

Why do I ask.... well having just found that my fuel pump isn't pumping! I also noted that the earth wire to the starter was a tad on the warm side! I know that electons take the flow of least resistance.... so am thinking that maybe a beefy earth connection maybe the way forward....

and then to top it all off the starter relay is getting rather warm as well which could be cause I had been turning the engine on the starter for too long (only just got fuel back in the tank and connected up)

Sugestions comments and laughs in my direction all welcome! Starter wiring connection... 610153

Starter wiring connection... 169042Starter wiring connection... 169034

2Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:14 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
It might be a good idea to run a separate ground wire between starter and battery.

For some reason BMW came to the same conclusion,
so it`s present from the K11`s and on.

Last edited by Inge K. on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total

3Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
an earth upgrade is on the list of recommendations twincarb .

there have been many posts about this and other mods to help the start process ....and general good battery and running electrics .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:17 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Makes sense to me, I don't think that the cable that was there when I stripped the bike apart and since put back on is man enough for the job... Will get something a lot beefier to go in it's place.... I am pretty sure I have some 8mm or 10mm earth cable around...

5Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:33 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Most of the wiring on any vehicle built in the last 30 years is marginal at best. I would upgrade the cable from battery to the relayto starter and an extra eth from one of the two bolts on the starter to the battery to a cable that is claimed to be suitable for 100 - 125 amps and that way 50 - 60 of the starter amps will flow easily. I upgraded my car starter cables to a piece of 400amp that I had lying around and it just about jumps out of the car when I turn the key and starts instantly.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:06 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I upgraded the wiring on the bike yesterday,
16mm from the battery to the starter motor earth point.
10mm from the starter motor + to the relay
10mm from the battery+ to the starter motor relay

by my calculations with the starter motor relay rated at 75Amps the cables to it now have the same power carrying ability bounce unlike the original cables that were put in.....

I have cable and connectors left over so may run another earth from the battery to the main earth point on the frame...

7Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:40 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
onya twincarb ....good work !!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:41 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
got to say things were very tight in the fuse box!.... I have used uninsulated terminals but am going to get some heavyduty heatshrink to protect the one's in there!

wanted to wash the garage out yesterday now the bike can move.... can't stop mind... here is a pic of how it's looking at the moment

Starter wiring connection... Imag0116

9Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:47 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sweet ...is that one of those nivomat shockies on the rear ?

10Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I am not to sure what the Shock is it has stamped on it BOGE and 6-3012-60-095-1 looking at RealOEM I cant seem to find it on there, but a quick Google fir nivomat shows one's very similar for the bike... I am considering replacing it if it's not rebuildable

edit: Just had a look in the Clymer and it is a Nivomat..

Last edited by twincarb on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

11Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Looking good TC what is the paint code on that blue or did the painter swear you to secrecy.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

12Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:27 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I have been sworn to secrecy on the matter of paint colour.... Well I can't find the piece of paper that i wrote it on! Starter wiring connection... 178468 But I have found a car with the exact match so I just need to phone the local Peugeot dealer and get it again!

Once I have the colour code I will put it into my signature

13Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thanks, I want to repaint mine as I don't like the Mystic red that was mixed for me, I reckon they put twice as much pearl in as it should have had and it came out more a pink and I really don't like it. So its either the marakesh red or a real blue like that on yours and I figure they wont ever be parked together.

14Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:44 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
lol not unless I get an exchange posting to Oz for 2 years... if that was the case I would consider having the bike sent out! When the rain stops I will wheel the bike outside and use my decent camera to get some more colour accurate shots!

It's got to be a major dissappointment to have ordered something and for it not to turn out right... it's not as if you can walk away and say not that's not right either...

15Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:00 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I am pretty sure having had a look online that it is

Electra Blue and the colour code is ELX I know for certain there was an X in the colour code! once confirmed will add to my sig as I said

16Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:47 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Slightly larger and clearer photo... the blue is deeper in real life mind hmmmm

Starter wiring connection... Img_2515

17Back to top Go down   Starter wiring connection... Empty Re: Starter wiring connection... Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:57 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Re colour, looks a bit like these

Starter wiring connection... Ries1

Starter wiring connection... Ries2

Bikes at a well known Dutch second hand parts dealer Ries Groenewoud.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Starter wiring connection... Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum