BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

fretherne

fretherne
I am new tothis forum sohello from wet and windy Morecambe.

For two weeks I have been the proud owner of a 1986 K100RS. It had not been used for a number of years.

I foundgear selection a little difficult because the gear pedal was not self returning to the midway point unless I gave it a little nudge. This has got rather worse in the course of the300 miles I have put on the bike. The gear pedal movement also seems excessive to me even allowing for the fact it is starting each gear change from one of the extreme positions not the midpoint.

I have not yet got hold of a handbook but from a picture on line the gear lever appears to be returned to its central position by a spring inside the gear box cover. Combing through forums I have seen a reference to a grub screw which is involved at that point.

What I have not been able to do is to see how to access this spring and grubscrew. I am beginning to fear that what at first sight would be a 30 minute job is going to be rather longer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

regards

Fretherne

Rafiniert ist meine BMW aber boese ist sie nicht.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

fretherne

fretherne

Thank you Inge. Basically it means I have to strp everything out to get at that grubscrew or the spring. I was hoping it would be rather easier! One thing is once I recover from the shock of what is involved it will be much easier with the advice so kindly given by you and other members.

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
There will be no need to remove the layshaft or output shaft for you to do the job, once you have got the gearbox off it will only take an hour or two.

Preparation is the key make sure you have Moly Grease (I use honda 60 moly) which you will need to use on the shaft splines on reassembly and you will also need gasket sealant.

I believe some people are able to use a rounded head allen type of key so they don't have to strip it down. If there is a problem with the spring itself then there will be a partial strip needed.

With it being a new bike to you it is always good to start from a known good starting point so change all the oils etc. my local BMW recommended to me to use Halfords on brand gear oil for the gearbox and bevel box.

Let us know what you find when you strip her down...

K100RS  Gear selector pedal does not return to midpoint.   169042K100RS  Gear selector pedal does not return to midpoint.   169034

fretherne

fretherne
Thank you twincarb. I will follow your advice about the splines - no sense in having to do this all again after.

I'll let you know how it goes

Fretherne

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum