BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hi from Atlanta, GA Empty Hi from Atlanta, GA Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:25 pm

tcausey

Hello. I current have a 2002 R1150RT as my primary bike, but I'm looking for a project bike and I've come across a 1985 K100RT that I'm considering buying and seeing if I can get rolling again. This would be my first restoration. In any case, my goal is to spend some time on the forums gaining more insight about this bike and learn from your collective experience. The bike I'm looking at is here:
http://troycausey.com/K100/

It's got 62k on it and according to the owner, was running, within the last 6 months. I went and looked at it in person and while it needs some work, it's not a bad base to start from I don't think. He's not trying hard to sell and I sort of stumbled into it from a family member and he's asking $900 for it. I know it needs a fairing (if I choose to keep it an RT), most of the wiring likely needs replacing, the alternator, etc. is with it, but unassembled as the owner's son was mid project and can't work on it anymore.

For now, I thought I'd say hi and I'll spend some time in the forums before I ask too many questions. Thanks.

Troy

2Back to top Go down   Hi from Atlanta, GA Empty Re: Hi from Atlanta, GA Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:13 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Troy,
With a repair/rebuild of a classic bike like a K it is worth taking a deep breath and stepping back to look at what it will actually cost in parts and labour to restore it to good condition versus buying one of a similar or later year in good to very good condition.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Hi from Atlanta, GA Empty Hi from Atlanta,GA Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:09 am

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Troy.
Welcome to the forum.
I think I agree with K-BIKE.
Looking at the photos, you will have to spend a lot more than it will ever be worth to bring it up to a reasonable standard.
Don't know what K100 prices are like where you live, but in the UK you could buy a well looked after bike for not a lot more cash.
Plenty more fish in the sea, just make sure its a K!
I am saying this, but I'm a sucker for these sort of 'projects' myself. Do whatever makes you happy. There is plenty of online support from K bike owners. They are real enthusiasts.
See it has a Nivomat rear shock! I'm a recent convert to them.

Comberjohn

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

4Back to top Go down   Hi from Atlanta, GA Empty Re: Hi from Atlanta, GA Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:44 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Troy,

If you look at my K100rt rebuilt (link on the portal), you will see the before and after. I did the work on my own, and with paint, new battery and tires I spent at least $1,500 - $2,000 on parts

Bert

5Back to top Go down   Hi from Atlanta, GA Empty Re: Hi from Atlanta, GA Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:14 pm

tcausey

Thanks for the information. I did pass on it. I want one that needs some love but is running which will help me better gauge how much i'll need to spend. I really appreciate it. I do love my R1150 . . . but I'd like to toy with a "K" as well.

ptc

6Back to top Go down   Hi from Atlanta, GA Empty Re: Hi from Atlanta, GA Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:49 pm

downssm

downssm
Silver member
Silver member
Bought my 88 K100LT running for $1800, 22k miles.. Tore it down because it had been sitting and the clutch was bad. Been working on it for a little more than a year part time doing it all myself. Getting parts off E-bay. I have another $200 into it so far. I figure it will be done this summer some time. So it can be done! Just need alot of patience and keep looking for bargains. Will post paint job pics soon. Rubbing it out now. Don't give up the idea. Half the fun is making it your own!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum