BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:56 am

Rompunmaan Kunkku

Rompunmaan Kunkku
Hello, My bike Cardan shaft joint broken (120 000 km). But also gearbox spit up oil and this is amazing, bike swing turned even thought swing bearing seems in trim.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f36/17/76/30/44/29082015.jpg
https://i.servimg.com/u/f36/17/76/30/44/29082014.jpg

My bike is BMW K100 RS year. 1984

Last edited by Rompunmaan Kunkku on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:19 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hello Welcome to the forum.
Can you supply the year model of your motorcycle. This will help with the shaft replacement.
Early model had 16 spline at rear of shaft and late model had 20 spline.

Do you wish to do the repairs your self.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:08 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thanks the shaft will be the early type with 16 spline or should be.
Do you want to do the repairs your self or are you trying to find the parts.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

4Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:23 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
This forum has a member in Norway but he is not on line now. He should come on line soon.
He may be able to help you better than I can from Australia.

5Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:45 am

Rompunmaan Kunkku

Rompunmaan Kunkku
Rick G wrote:This forum has a member in Norway but he is not on line now. He should come on line soon.
He may be able to help you better than I can from Australia.

Thx, I will fix it's myself, I hope so. In here Finland drive season is over, so we have long winter made repair our bike.

6Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:52 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I thought you may have needed help quickly and you were broken down.
We have many people here who are very clever and willing to help with parts and advice for your BMW.

7Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:25 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
From your story it seems a simple drive shaft replacement (Ebay's your friend) and a new seal. From your second foto it looks as if your rear wheel is not straight upright, but assume that's a visual thing.

What have you got and what do you need?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Drive shaft broken Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

8Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:08 am

Rompunmaan Kunkku

Rompunmaan Kunkku
ReneZ wrote:From your story it seems a simple drive shaft replacement (Ebay's your friend) and a new seal. From your second foto it looks as if your rear wheel is not straight upright, but assume that's a visual thing.

What have you got and what do you need?

Real wheel is really warped ! I think that is worse than drive shat failure, becaus swing bearings seems good.

9Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:25 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The only way to find out is to remove the swing arm. To do that first you need to remove the foot peg plates and that gives you access to the bearing.
I can see from the pictures that either the swing arm or the mounting on the gearbox is broken. You say there is oil comming out, from that I would say the gearbox may be damaged.

10Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:28 am

This is the second picture of a broken driveshaft I've seen this week.
How did it happen?

Sean.

11Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have not seen a front uni joint go off like that before but the usual reason is that they can't be lubes and if they get water ingress then they rust and that is when the fun starts.

12Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Rick G wrote:I have not seen a front uni joint go off like that before
Here you got another one..........

Drive shaft broken Drivle10

13Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:20 pm

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Has your swingarm not dropped off to the right??

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

14Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:

I was trying to read the newspaper but cannot understand anything Sad

15Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Limited edition (one page).

Drive shaft broken Norweg10

16Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Norwegian and practical.....sounds oxymoronic! Cool

17Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Saxon7 wrote:Norwegian and practical.....sounds oxymoronic! Cool
My mother in law spoke Norwegian but my wife cannot read it. No luck on my side.
A one page dictionary sums up what I knew of English when I immigrated to Canada: 3 words....
Guess what they were. Yes, No and Fu#@k
I was able to manage for the first few weeks but rapidly had to extend my vocabulary Very Happy

18Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Crazy Frog wrote:
My mother in law spoke Norwegian but my wife cannot read it. No luck on my side.
A one page dictionary sums up what I knew of English when I immigrated to Canada: 3 words....
I was able to manage for the first few weeks but rapidly had to extend my vocabulary Very Happy

Let's derail the thread a little more.
I though the three words were going to be; beer, more, toilet.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

19Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:48 pm

rossco wrote:
Crazy Frog wrote:

Let's derail the thread a little more.
I though the three words were going to be; beer, more, toilet.

personally, I can't think of what else you might need......

Well ok....some technical vocab such as " My driveshaft is broken...."

20Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:

I have seen 2 like yours but that one has completly parted company with the front section.

21Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Drive shaft broken Hpim1010

Sorry Bert, did forget a fresh newspaper.

22Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ah Ha and now I have greasy gunk all over my screen and finger prints to give to interpol lol!

23Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:09 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin

24Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:12 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Inge K. wrote:Limited edition (one page).

Drive shaft broken Norweg10

Drive shaft broken 44271

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

25Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty New Pictures my project Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Rompunmaan Kunkku

Rompunmaan Kunkku
Hello,

I am finally find time make my dismantle out.
Following parts are broken.
-swing bearing
-driveshaft
-protective rubber
-bearing oil seal ? (Oil leaked from there ?)

Drive shaft broken 16092011

26Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty bearing oil seal change Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Rompunmaan Kunkku

Rompunmaan Kunkku
Hello again,

Does anyone know ? Can I change oil seal outside gearbox ?

Drive shaft broken 16092012

27Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Shouldn`t be any problem, drill a couple of small holes 180o apart, use self tapping screws and a plier.

Be careful to clean out all drill shavings afterwards.

28Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Swing bearing housing Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Rompunmaan Kunkku

Rompunmaan Kunkku
How about this ?
Should be replaced new ?

Drive shaft broken 16092014

29Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Not easy to judge on the picture, but if the surface where the outer race is mounted is undamaged.....it shouldn`t be any problem to reuse it.

I do see that the grease cup is destroyed, Oldgoat did find a solution for that in his resto thread.

30Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:53 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
The grease cup could easily (cheaply) be replaced with a disc of thin aluminium cut from a drinks can.

Paul.

31Back to top Go down   Drive shaft broken Empty Re: Drive shaft broken Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It's OK just a bit of thin aluminium behind to replace the shield like paul suggested.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum