BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Newish member from London Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:08 pm

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
After riding an old k100 for a couple of years - a van wrote off my RT,
and a year ago I bought a nice k100lt with 25k miles for £1200 inc
Corbin saddle (1990). I suspected it had probably been laid idle for
some period, and fuel consumption was just 135miles per tank, so I read
various forums and spent some money on improving things - here's the
results, and I'd welcome any further suggestions to complete the
project?? Generally the bike has been running fine, completing a tour of
the Pyrenese in Spain and France last summer without issue Smile

- Major service completed with all oils/ filters/pads changed and rear splines lubed
- fitted new temp sensors ( near the fan & the temp guage which now works!) - now 160 miles per tank!!
- fitted new progressive front springs and bridgestone tyres- wow what a difference in handling, no lurching now.
-
fitted std rear hagen shock - this developed a fault after 11 months,
hagon refurbed under warranty. ( I used a 2nd hand IKON shock while it
was away - this was straight as an arrow at 100mph+. but very bouncy ,
no matter how I adjusted the damping - also made the bike taller). I may
get a White Power shock fitted at some time as I do a lot of 2 up
riding with luggage - any suggestions?
-flushed the radiator water and replaced the coolant (the water was BLACK and horrible!!)
-changed the exhaust gaskets - noticeable improvement and not so hot down under near my legs!
-changed the thottle control sensor near the throttle bodies. ( the old one was faulty causing idleing issues)
-
changed the fuel lines last week, plus the crankcase vent hose (was in
poor condition), fitted 2nd hand injectors proffessionally cleaned and
had the throttle bodies balanced. - BEST improvement of the lot, better
acceleration , no flat spots and my mechanic says she now sounds like a
swiss timepiece! - will update miles per tank improvement soon..
- I've also cleaned all the electrical contacted visable (not under the tank)
I
probably spent £600 on the above, excluding tyres - love the bike lots,
and plan on many more distance rides - If anyone could recomend any
other preventable service to known issues or improvements - please let
me know
Colin - London

2Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:13 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi and welcome Colin. you seem to have acheived a lot already but this is the best forum for info and some very knowledgable folk, and lets have some pic's

BIG D

3Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:26 pm

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
Hi and welcome Colin,
Thats a whole lot of work you have done.
I am only a recent convert to BMW.
What a machine though....just lovin it.
Happy Days

R

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

4Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Colin, it sounds like you know your way around the K pretty well. I note from your list you've done the rear spline lube but have you done the clutch spline lube, or do you know if it has been done? dry splines lead to false neutrals on downshifting.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

5Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:58 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Colin - sounds like you have got a keeper there Wink

6Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Colin welcome to the Zoo. Be a little cautious about WP shocks, I had one ($1000) and the ride was very harsh. It was a very good shock but more for track work than general road work. I put a Hagon on the K75 and thought it was a bit harsh but the WP was a lot worse.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:18 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Colin , my 1st aftermaket shock for my thing was a WP , agree with Rick , quite stiff , very hard to get right even with a million clicks worth of adjustment ( compression & rebound ) but what really killed it for me was that it would only last about 15-20k before it needed seals replaced , I ended up replacing it with a fat body KONI , how about a RAM shock ? , local pommie hardware .

Good luck with it

JR

Melbourne Australia

8Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I have a Koni rear shock.

I replaced head bearings about three weeks ago and it made a tremendous difference. The rear shock is really great two up, tried it out fully loaded and its got nice springing and seems like its on rails. Height is ok but I would prefer it to be lower. I believe this can be done by an adjustment to the stanchions.

92KK

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

9Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Have a look at these they are the pick of the bunch by a long way.
http://www.realmengineering.com/page15.html

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

10Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:01 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Colin,
Great to have you with us and well done on doing all the work on a new to you bike.
Regards,
K-BIKE

11Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Is 160 miles per tank average Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:55 pm

colinijohnson

colinijohnson
Silver member
Silver member
thank you for your replies. Is 160 miles per tank average if ridden hard? I read somewhere that sometimes if you replace the coils - that can help - there are no fuel leaks, but new coils seem a bit pricy?
I think I will change the head bearings for good measure - and buy the shock from realmengineering.
Regards
#colin

12Back to top Go down   Newish member from London Empty Re: Newish member from London Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:31 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have never heard that of the coils but I would be checking the plug leads and caps and the plug tops in case the little screw on tops are missing. Realm engineering have plug leads as well as shocks.
Checking the coils is worth while you should get around 12,000 ohms on the secondarys and 4 ohms on the primarys but never open circuit on the secondarys.
I usually get about 200miles per tank.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum