BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty speedo repairs? Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:34 am

beamhead

Hi,

I only have this bike 3 days and the speedo just stopped working.

I went out yesterday morning and it was fine. No irregularity. I got on to come home and no speedo!

I had the tank and fairing off to check the air filter just after I got the bike, so I suspect I may have displaced something in that log-jam of wires under the tank. Unless it's just bad luck and it's something else.

Not that I relish wasting an hour or two to take all that off again just to check (hopefully it will be quicker this time).

Any tips?

Thx.

2Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Re: speedo repairs? Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:32 am

Krazy_Kev

:| Bert will give you answer no doubt my played up and I had it fixed and apart form getting it "wet" it seems to be fine now

Last edited by Krazy_Kev on Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total

3Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Re: speedo repairs? Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:59 am

Admin

Admin
admin
admin
Krazy_Kev wrote:Bert will no doubt give you an answer, but for me it was about the same. 3 days and dead but a few hundred bucks and a new (second hand) speedo later. That one lasted 3 months and guess what speed dead again so any help you get would be great for me also.

The speedo has almost a straight connection with the sensor on the differential (sensor is located in front of oil plug on the final transmission).
The only connector is on the right side of the bike just in front of the reservoir for the coolant.
If you had checked your air filter, I am almost certain that you had to disconnect it as it may be interfering with the removal of the top part of the air filter canister.
The connector is a small flat black one (it's in the same area as the connectors for the back brake switch and the TGIP switch comming from the gear box).
To find it, remove you right side cover and visually trace the wire from the back of the bike.
If the speedo is working intermittently, you may want to remove the sensor off the differential and clean it. You only have to remove one screw to pull the sensor of the differential.
Cleaning the contacts on the connector near the coolant reservoir may help too.

Bert

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com

4Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Re: speedo repairs? Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:42 pm

Krazy_Kev

Bert once again your help will prove invaluable

Cheers

5Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Re: speedo repairs? Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Krazy_Kev

Well guess what all, my speedo started to work "after a fashion" and I got cranky and banged the face of it and now it works perfectly hahahahahahahahahaha guess it was just stuck, also found that the tail light connector was faulty was causing the dash light issue so now only the shifter switch to go and all will be sweet.

6Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Speedo Repair Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Damun

Krazy Kev, if your speedo works after whacking it, that's great. When that stops working, you'll have to take it off, take it apart, and make sure the three contact prongs you'll find inside are bent so they are mating their Sheilas.

Lots of how-to with those all important pics on BMWIR K-Tech page.
http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml
Navigate down to "instrment cluster" and poke around.

Damun Gracenin
1983 K100 RS

7Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Speedo repair and ignition switch Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:57 am

Admin

Admin
admin
admin
K-bike had posted a very good link to http://www.easternbeaver.com/
This company seems to have a lot of very good products at reasonable price.
When browsing their site, I found a section "stuff" and surprise, they have a some excellent article on K bikes.

Speedo repair #1
Speedo repair #2

fixing the ignition switch

Bert

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com

8Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Re: speedo repairs? Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:13 pm

beamhead

Well guess what all, my speedo started to work "after a fashion" and I got cranky and banged the face of it and now it works perfectly hahahahahahahahahaha guess it was just stuck

Yeah , that fixed it! Great tip. Probably a dodgy contact , damned electrical gadgetery.

9Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Re: speedo repairs? Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:20 am

rfw

If there is any metal bits stuck to the internal end of the speedo's inductive impulse sensor (that is mounted to the rear drive), this could be the problem.

Remove the sensor from the rear drive (just one screw holds it in) and wipe the end clean. There is an internal magnet that tends to catch bits of metal, and when this happens, you can easily end up with no reading, or sometimes a wildly intermittant one.

Bob.

10Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Re: speedo repairs? Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:54 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bob,
I strongly recommend that when you open the speedo you use the Caig DeOxit on all connections to clean and finish with the Pro Gold. Caig do a great kit with two bottles of the liquids in what is probably nail varnish bottles with the little brush. That will prevent future problems.
Regards,
K-BIKE

11Back to top Go down   speedo repairs? Empty Re: speedo repairs? Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:26 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Whoa there, no way should you be using metallic anti-seize. The best treatment is Caig Deoxit and then the Caig Pro Gold. If you MUST put some conductive material in there at least use the stuff intended for that which is silver conductive grease or at a pinch the printed circuit repair conductive paint.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum