BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

edog8500

edog8500
Hi, getting a bike running, my friend ran the battery down three yrs ago and then parked in his garage ( divorce/money trouble/kids etc) He then moved it outside, i had seen enough, i took it into my heated garage, dumped the gas, bought a battery, fuel filter and flushed the injectors, replaced the o rings and changed the oil and filter. Fires, good compression, starts hard if it sits for a few days, and once started has slow throttle response and rougher idle unless you constantly hold in the starter button. Weird ( I discovered this while hitting the starter when I thought it would die.) I have been creeping on the site for a while a nd a few others and figure you guys really you guys had the best forum, thanks, I am looking forward to riding this summer!!!! thanks!

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Pushing the starter button enrichens the fuel mix.

I would guess that you maybe got a intake leak.

Common places is crankcase ventilation, S-shaped hose at the end of the
plenum chamber, missing or cracked rubber caps at the brass stubs for
measuring vacum at the TB's, and the short rubber hoses at the bottom and
top of the TB's.

BTW. Welcome to the madhouse.

3Back to top Go down   1985 K100rt only runs smooth while holding in the start button Empty just read my post sorry Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 am

edog8500

edog8500
HA just read my post I obviously didnt proofread it, busy making bacon and eggs for the kids while typing, thanks for the response. I'll check the rubber, figures I just got the fairings back on! HA

I should mention, once it is pretty warm it runs better.....

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
edog8500 wrote:I should mention, once it is pretty warm it runs better.....
Then it needs less fuel...another indicator to a intake leak.

5Back to top Go down   1985 K100rt only runs smooth while holding in the start button Empty Welcome another Midwesterner Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:18 pm

tio Jaimito

tio Jaimito
Silver member
Silver member
Hey Edog, Good rescue story. Whereabouts in WI?
UJ

Last edited by tio Jaimito on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not pertainent)

Peggy's 1987 K75s Columbia Grey 9500miles 6 valve.

1985 K100rt only runs smooth while holding in the start button K100_m12

1985 K100rt only runs smooth while holding in the start button K75_po12
1985 K100rt only runs smooth while holding in the start button Basil_10
http://www.nachicagonorth.com

edog8500

edog8500
I got ot thinking about the response i received on the idel being rough and now I am wondering if it is typical that the rubber intakes crack or if perhaps the injectors testd ok but are now maybe giving up the ghost... in my mind I can see that i have to do the following:

1. inspect rubber caps, boots and lines

2.re-bnch test the injectors Ughhhh:affraid:

3. I am curious in general as to what the fuel pump should be pushing, I disconnected the hose between the pump and fuel filter to examin the flow and it was similar to a "strong bubbler" or as they say in other states "water fountains"

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi mate, I believe I have read that if you can hold your thumb over the fuel outlet hose between the pump and filter without getting it pushed away, then the pressure is low.
I also did a blow through test on a fuel filter (don't suck back), comparing it to a new one I had, and it was
really clogged. Any combination of a clogged fuel pump and filter will make it hard to get
pressure up. I think it;s supposed to be 36 psi at the fuel rail.
RT

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
One of the more straight forward ways of finding a leak is to spray aerostart or its equivalent over the rubbers when the bike is starting to die and see if it picks up. If it does you just sprayed the offending item causing your troubles, and you've found a trouble quickly. glad this forum came out on top with your vote, mind you flattery will get you everywhere in here. Keith

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

9Back to top Go down   1985 K100rt only runs smooth while holding in the start button Empty hard starting continues Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:09 am

edog8500

edog8500
well no visible or detectable intake leaks, starting to think the vacuum is fine and that it is a fuel supply issue, i posted a video on youtube showing the pump activating in the tank. A fellow rider in WI with 3 K bikes called and said he recognized the current and it was the pump back flowing into the tank. He said he would bet 200.00 it is the pump, after witnessing the pump only pushign fuel like a water fountain before the fuel filter, I am leaning in that direction. Any thoughts, i think th symptoms would be very similar to an intake leak correct ( i.e running better when warm as less fuel is needed?)
😕

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
You could also check the pressure...to confirm.

Do you got a good amount of fuel returning to the tank, when the filter is attached?

edog8500

edog8500
Inge K. wrote:You could also check the pressure...to confirm.

Do you got a good amount of fuel returning to the tank, when the filter is attached?
I guess I am not sure, i havent a way to test it, and i assumed that the movement in the fuel within the tank was the fuel returning.... I guess I dont want to buy a fuel pump on a whim either, ahhhhhhhh

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Those pumps will pump something like 40 litres a minute so the return flow is very strong, it's not just a bit of a flow.
Even with the restrictions of the pressure regulator they will empty the tank in a very short time.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I did misunderstand what you did write.....did pay to much attention to "before the fuel filter".

Since you suspect the fuel pump......any forum members close by, willing to swap for a test........hey, out there?

Could also try one from a scrapyard car, just to test....to confirm........before buying a more expensive one that fits.

edog8500

edog8500
thinking I might see if Autozone has an inline fuel pressure tester or if there is a comparable video of one operating online, if not I might grab one and see I will keep you posted thanks for the reply, nice to know someone is reading these!

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Edog,
Good to have you with us, pop a post over in the "Engine and transmission" section with your question as not all the gurus read the introduction section so you may miss their input, though I reckon as always that Inge K has got it nailed.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum