BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:34 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
If you do a search for headsets on the forum there is quite a bit of discussion but not a lot on content.
Does anyone actually use one for communication, listening to GPS or listening to music?
I have been looking at THIS one.
Expensive I guess, but no point having something that does not work and this pairs with 4 devices.

Looking at getting a gps that also plays music. My phone does both, but as I cannot touch it while riding I need an alternative.

If anyone else is using a device for communication between rider/ passenger or rider/ rider what do you have? Is there a standard? Is/are more than one brand compatible?

Last edited by rossco on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

2Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
SENA has a good name for those. One thing to make sure of is that it will pair with other brands and that it will automaticaly make contact the other sets it is paired with when you get back in range.
I also noticed it says 400mtrs in open country. There are othere that will go 1000mtrs but I consider that the ones that say 1000mtrs are the ones that arent being entirely truthful.
I know a few who use them and they all say that it is fairly much line of sight and in heavily forested country it is line of sight. In moderately hilly country over hills is not too bad if you are fairly close like 150mtrs maybe 200mtrs.
On many twisty roads they will lose contact very easily and that is why it's important they cantact automaticly or you are forever trying to re-pair them.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:04 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Cardio Scala G4's are really good. I have one built into my helmet, connects to the Garmin 550 I was very unimpressed by the audio from the sat nav mind. Voice is perfectly good for getting directions and using the mobile phone! I reviewed the Schuberth a couple of months back on here.

Last edited by twincarb on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected headset name!)

Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves 169042Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves 169034

4Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:19 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Rossco..Nic and I have been using that very unit (sena) for conversatin, gps,music, phone calls, voice dial and there is an option for uhf as well. I was using Cardo scala at first but an early model not in stereo. The Sena units are easy to use with gloves on and the bonus is they have an external mp3 input and can be charged WHILE IN USE!!!

I only take my android phone with me. I can play music take phone calls, jump tracks in music foward and back..the music pauses automaticly for gps prompts and then resumes..same thing if you get a phone call. voice dial is good if you practice saying the name like the phone does!! all this and over blue tooth.. another bonus is if someone else has a sena you can pair with them for duplex conversations enroute. Most people dont realise i am on the bike untill into the conversation.

If you use the external mp3 input you cannot controll the player. only volume. Music will still mute for calls and intercom talking..still in duplex mode.

In short Love It.

hope it helps..

5Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Excellent review Alby. Thanks for that, it was exactly what I wanted.
So asking Ricks question, does it re-pair by itself if connection is lost?
I don't think this will be a problem as most of the connections with be with my pillion or phone etc, but would be nice if I didn't have to go pressing buttons every time.

thanks

rossco

K1100RS 0194321

6Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
iit pairs with your phone as soon as you turn te headset on by itself. make sure you turn headset off when you get home or stop for the day...if connection is lost it tells you if it cannot reconnect.

7Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:10 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Last one Alby.
What are the speakers like compared to ear buds?
Are yours mounted below the lining or stuck on top?
You mentioned previously Nic listens to audio books so I guess the sound must be fairly clear and loud enough.

thanks

rossco

K1100RS 0194321

8Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I have only tried ear buds ONCE!! It is too much stuffing around to get comfortable each time you take helmet off or on. The speakers are fairly good make. They have a velcro style surface to stick to helemt linng. Most helmets have a small gap at the top of chin strap anchor points. they fit there nicely..you have to muck about a bit at home to get them in the right spot..You only have to go through this once.

The sound is really good. If you have the phone media volume almost right up you will be able to drown out any nasty sounding engine noise..Yes Nic listens to a lot of books on bike and never has trouble hearing them.(gets narky when i all her intercom..pauses the book untill i end the bluetooth link Twisted Evil)

Onle last thing. Some Android phones like mine need to have a media player (poweramp) that lets you run the music player through a bluetooth headset. otherwise it wont recognise the speakers but will still link calls ect . Motorola phones just pair and go.

Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Imag0518
Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Imag0515
Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Imag0516
Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Imag0517

9Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Thanks Alby. With photos ")

Think I am going to have to save for a set or two.

rossco

K1100RS 0194321

10Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:00 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
No Problem...Just be sure not to get the model you have linked. The speakers plug into the removable unit and will come loose..and let moisture in.. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Expensive lesson that was. Make sure you get the unit that has the speakers and mike wired into the helmet clamp!!

THIS is the unit I bought in Australia.

Last edited by Albyalbatross1 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dunno)

11Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:42 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
so the smh10 is the one to get then ..cool

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

12Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:52 pm

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
I use the smh10 sena units also, it works a treat.
Like alby said, the phone call quality is exceptional .
The music sound quality is also great, I use soft earplugs and these cut the treble and wind noise perfectly.
Easy to pair with android phone .
the dual kit had the units paired from factory , plug n play.
I paid 4 hundred Aussie dollars for two.

http://www.airware.com.au

13Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 pm

I need to get the Sena SMH10 too, for bike to bike with the wife. She has decided that the SMH10 is the one that we need before we head for the BMW biker meet in southern Germany in July. Should be a good trip to try out the rebuilt bike, I recon on about 3500 kms round trip.

14Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
So is anyone in Aus keen to get one of these?

Set of 2 for sale in the US. $266 Aud and free postage.

Go you halves.

I can afford to buy one, but not 2.

Here

K1100RS 0194321

15Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Bluetooth thingy Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:16 pm

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Au-log10

16Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Klompy the grey brick wrote:
maybe?
That is just so you can have a clamp on a second helmet. It is not the unit itself.

K1100RS 0194321

17Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:23 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Well, I ordered meself a set of these sooper dooper blue head things.
Better hope noone riding round me has them or I will be in your head the whole time. think that is not a bad thing? Ask Mr Klompy. he has been trapped in a car with me.

Paid $60 more for 2 sets than I would have paid for one set ($205) in Australia.
And the gummint want to charge me 10% gst. Lol. Who cares. Still $150 cheaper for the pair.

Oh. Have a spare snh10 headset for sale. brand new (unless Mr Klompy tries it out. His microphone spit is free) for half of $266. You do the math.

K1100RS 0194321

18Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Bluetooth Headset. Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
We bought a pair of Scala headsets, they are really clear at speeds up to 110klm, range is really only 500/600 meters in hilly country. Now I have to stop singing when I ride.
RT

19Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Oh that explains why I have been looking for the sqeaky wheel bearing since the ride at esk.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

20Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:51 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I believe that was the sauerkraut and kransky breakfast you had.

21Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Sena has released a firmware upgrade enabling it to connect to (any?) HFP compatible bluetooth headset.
I have not tested this yet (Mr Klompy), but I will report on how it works.

So far very happy with the SMH10. It is rarely charged, on every day and has been left on for days at a time when I forget.
The connection is rarely lost between device and phone/ ipod, sound is good and apparently very clear when talking on the phone hands free.

Happy with mine.

K1100RS 0194321

22Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:06 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Very Happy

Last edited by klamityboy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : double post)

23Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:08 pm

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
I have a Sena SMH-5. I primarily chose it because the SMH10 has an external boom that gets routed into the helmet and the SMH5 has a velcro attachment and a short cord that allows the boom to be inside the helmet. A small thing but it cuts down the wind noise a bit. I purchased a single unit from Motorcycle Superstore for US$95. Not sure about the firmware upgradability.

Like Rossko, I love the stable pairing and the long battery. 

Just my $0.02. Of course your mileage may vary.

SMH10
Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Smh10-10

SMH5
Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Smh5-b10

Model Description: K 75RT
Market: Europe
Type: 0565
E-Code: K569
Engine: 3_ZYL - 0,70l (55kW)
Transmission: Manual
Body Color: Polizeiweiss
Production Date: 30.08.1990

24Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 am

I bought a Scala Rider Q3 multiset. Cost $175 for me and my son each. We have only used it as an intercom at home to make sure it works so far, they say it works up to a kilometer. It connects to 2 bluetooth devices, the phone and the GPS. It has an FM radio with 6 preset stations and a search function for more when travelling. It will pull music from the phone or GPS, your choice. It will connect to other headsets if you press the right button sequence.

I have one of the new Bell split helmets and fitted the large foam knobs to the mic boom. With the helmet closed, the foam ball is too big, I need to change to the small foam ball for the mic. Other that that it works fine. There is a cheat sheet to print on the website with common button presses to make it do what you want. That is the biggest drawback, pressing the right button sequence.

25Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Brad-Man

Brad-Man
Life time member
Life time member
I intend to get A Sena SMH10 or the new '20 when I buy.

Heard too many horror stories about Scala and the Sena's will pair w/other manufacturer's products now.

Last edited by Brad-Man on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

26Back to top Go down   Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Empty Re: Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:08 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
We've got the Sena SMH10 set.  We had the previous generation SMH10 too (Marie dropped and broke hers, on mine the older style 'pin' charging port broke.

The new gen is much better in every way, battery life is amazing. The SMH10 also has a variety of helmet mounts available, I've got 1 SMH10 but have mounts fitted on 3 seperate helmets.  The velcro on seperate mike works really well in the flip front helmets.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Bluetooth Headset. Go you halves K-dogs10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum