BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

skipperruf

skipperruf
I'm stuck! Looking at several drawings, e.g. in my Haynes repair manual, I can't find out how to work on my front fork legs. The pictures does not fit my gear?!
There is supposed to be a filler plug (Allen type) in top of the fork leg, but here is how the top of my fork leg looks like:
How to replace front fork oil when there is no filler plug ?! 2013-013
Removing the nut and the top plate reveals, as you can se to the left, a bolt, that can only be unscrewed from inside. So how do I fill in oil?
Best regards,
Skipperruf
1985 K100 RT

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would be taking them apart for a closer inspection, it appears to be an aftermarket mod or kit maybe.
Afterthought
You could just fill them bu turning them upside down if they are off the bike and fill from the hole in the bottom end. If you look up the hole from underneath with the axle out there is an 8mm socket head bolt to remove to get them apart but the hole could be used to fill them.

Last edited by Rick G on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More Yabba)

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

skipperruf

skipperruf
Rick G wrote:I would be taking them apart for a closer inspection, it appears to be an aftermarket mod or kit maybe.
Afterthought
You could just fill them bu turning them upside down if they are off the bike and fill from the hole in the bottom end. If you look up the hole from underneath with the axle out there is an 8mm socket head bolt to remove to get them apart but the hole could be used to fill them.
Thanks to you Rick. A VERY close examination shows, that the forks are of the type Brembo 1.450.519. I can't find any exploded views on them on the net, so for now I will try to follow your suggestion and fill them from the bottom.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks like a spring clip around the circumference of the tower tops to me .

have you tried compressing the inner part to see if there is access to the surround clip ,,,i imagine that the clip would remove then allow the stud - centre section to come out ...including springs and all

just a thought

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

skipperruf

skipperruf
charlie99 wrote:looks like a spring clip around the circumference of the tower tops to me .

have you tried compressing the inner part to see if there is access to the surround clip ,,,i imagine that the clip would remove then allow the stud - centre section to come out ...including springs and all

just a thought
Yes, that's how it ought to be. But that does not happen. Maybe because the top plug has stuck. It doesn't move a micrometer even with a very firm push!

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Here is a picture of a similar fork kit, which have been posted earlier on this forum.
The threaded part you have at the top, seems to be the end of the piston rod.

How to replace front fork oil when there is no filler plug ?! Rt_mki10

skipperruf

skipperruf
[quote="Inge K."]Here is a picture of a similar fork kit, which have been posted earlier on this forum.
The threaded part you have at the top, seems to be the end of the piston rod.

Great!! Thanks. I can now see, that the top plug must have stuck itself to the stanchion. Can yoy give me a reference to the thread with the picture?

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
might be irrelevant but are these the forks that are fixed to the fork leg by a bolt in the bottom ??
cheers Tony

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
um ...turn them upside down and soak them in some penetrating fluid ...perhaps ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Toto_jp wrote:might be irrelevant but are these the forks that are fixed to the fork leg by a bolt in the bottom ??
cheers Tony

yes they are all like that but it still wont get the top off. I have a feeling there is a well hidden internal circlip when the top bit is compressed into the leg.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
As charlie said, turn them upside down and put them in about 2" of penetrating fluid and allow that to work it's way to the rubber seal. I would imagine that will then lubricate it so you can put 2 nuts onto the stud and lock them off onto each other. Then you can try to turn them. You would need to hold the stansion (not spelt right!) and once it turns that should mean your able to then compress them in the normal way to get at the circlip.

Isn't the circlip visible in the first picture posted on the left?

How to replace front fork oil when there is no filler plug ?! 169042How to replace front fork oil when there is no filler plug ?! 169034

skipperruf

skipperruf
twincarb wrote:As charlie said, turn them upside down and put them in about 2" of penetrating fluid and allow that to work it's way to the rubber seal. I would imagine that will then lubricate it so you can put 2 nuts onto the stud and lock them off onto each other. Then you can try to turn them. You would need to hold the stansion (not spelt right!) and once it turns that should mean your able to then compress them in the normal way to get at the circlip.

Isn't the circlip visible in the first picture posted on the left?
No, I can't see the circlip, but having sen the pictures from Inge I'm sure it is there. So I will try to soak the top in penetrating oil and see what happens

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum